Quartermaster hails new age of local war machines

webfact

The question is why they are developing an vehicle that can provide protection to 50 mm rounds but not to IED's. As far as I know the terrorist in the south don't use 50 mm but do use IED. If one look at the specs they released it seems as if they build a death can that can't resist IED's nor RPG's. The next question will be if those nice big shining tyres are bulletproof and if not can they be sealed and re-inflated from the inside of the vehicle. Does it have aircon ? Can it take a hit from a landmine ? Is there a bulletproof window at the back of the vehicle which troops can use to see if the area is clear before they open up the door ? I see a big green elephant.

The new APC attracted ' sideways ' glances from visitors ?

Were they afraid to look directly at the vehicle because it's some sort of state secret ?

"Side ways glance" - come com Kid, bet you still sneak the odd side ways glance when some sexy young Thai lady flutters by dressed fantastically wink.png

I usually get the proverbial elbow when I get caught doing that biggrin.png

People in the arms trade find these things "sexy" but you have to observe secretly. 555.

The new APC attracted ' sideways ' glances from visitors ?

Were they afraid to look directly at the vehicle because it's some sort of state secret ?

"Side ways glance" - come com Kid, bet you still sneak the odd side ways glance when some sexy young Thai lady flutters by dressed fantastically wink.png

I usually get the proverbial elbow when I get caught doing that biggrin.png

People in the arms trade find these things "sexy" but you have to observe secretly. 555.

You've correctly identified one occasion when a sideways glance is a must. A dig in the ribs is one thing but looking directly at an attractive lady is likely to encourage her bf and 15 of his mates to point out the error of your ways and if they're armed ... !

The good general is a "veteran" of the border war, fought over an island of sand in the Mekong. He probably was not the general in charge so he may have acquitted himself honorably on the battle field, that I don't know and will not denigrate him for that fiasco. I just heard that story this weekend from some that were in Vientiane when it happened. After a couple of days the outnumbered, basically ragtag Lao's had throughly kicked ass and taken names, forcing the Thai "army" to retire from the field of battle. Oh please dear general do inspire me with confidence about your armored vehicle. Maybe good for "citizen control", ahem is there even more than one? Plenty of good surplus available, cheaper and while years older probably more state of the art. Flat sides, high rider, looks like a death trap. Can anyone say RPG attractant?

It seems to be an amazing coincidence that during the 18-months of the military-controlled government that we have the emergence of Chinese submarines, new Thai APC's and foreign ground to air missile systems, not to mention a virtually nonexistent transparent defense budget. Those things alone would be worth overthrowing an elected civilian government.

The question is why they are developing an vehicle that can provide protection to 50 mm rounds but not to IED's. As far as I know the terrorist in the south don't use 50 mm but do use IED. If one look at the specs they released it seems as if they build a death can that can't resist IED's nor RPG's. The next question will be if those nice big shining tyres are bulletproof and if not can they be sealed and re-inflated from the inside of the vehicle. Does it have aircon ? Can it take a hit from a landmine ? Is there a bulletproof window at the back of the vehicle which troops can use to see if the area is clear before they open up the door ? I see a big green elephant.

Dunno what article you read but none of that is mentioned in the OP.

Has anyone seen independent reviews or articles about this vehicle from outside Thailand?

I don't think it would stand a chance against a tank busting missile , although in fairness the rubber tyres might bounce the missile off. mainly for the use of future student crowed control.