Current Road Conditions From Siem Reap To Poipet

chickin

Does anyone have any first hand info on the road conditions from Poipet to Siem Reap as of this week? Thanks for your help.

Having just traveled from Poipet to Siem Reap and back, I will answer my own question. I passed through Poipet to SR on 10/6, the roads were passable but VERY rough. Travel time was 3.5 hours in the dark. When I came back through on 10/8 there had been some work done to the road so some sections were a litlle better, 3.25 hours in the daytime. Overall very rough and quite painful journey, but I still prefer this route to spending 12000+ baht for a plane ticket!

Thank you for the Trip Report.

I know in the "Wet Season" the roads are notorious.

Was there much to see and do along the way ?

This was my second trip on this road in as many months. If you have never traveld overland in Cambodia I recommend the trip. You see lots of authentic Cambodian landscape. Unfortunatly you open yourself up to what I see as a rapid decline in customer service and tourism. Hope this helps.

Along the same line: anyone with a recent trip report Siem Reap to O'Smach (just south of Surin?)

That I am very interested in a trip report like that.

I am considering going to Siam Reb on a motot-bike with a friend.

The only think that I know is the tour guides on the Cambo side say "Very Dancing Road" meaning the car dances a lot on the road as its so rough.

Does anyone have any first hand info on the road conditions from Poipet to Siem Reap as of this week? Thanks for your help.

Having just traveled from Poipet to Siem Reap and back, I will answer my own question. I passed through Poipet to SR on 10/6, the roads were passable but VERY rough. Travel time was 3.5 hours in the dark. When I came back through on 10/8 there had been some work done to the road so some sections were a litlle better, 3.25 hours in the daytime. Overall very rough and quite painful journey, but I still prefer this route to spending 12000+ baht for a plane ticket!

Did you drive your own vehicle or take a bus?

Along the same line: anyone with a recent trip report Siem Reap to O'Smach (just south of Surin?)

That I am very interested in a trip report like that.

I am considering going to Siam Reb on a motot-bike with a friend.

The only think that I know is the tour guides on the Cambo side say "Very Dancing Road" meaning the car dances a lot on the road as its so rough.

Trip or no trip report, I am going to take that route in about a week. I WILL report back, ok?

By the way there is a popular Asia travel website which has a report from within the year, of a motorcyclist who did just exactly what you propose. PM me for the web-site address (I dont think I can post it on here).

Did you drive your own vehicle or take a bus?

My friend brought me in his car from BKK to Poipet, then a taxi to Siem Reap. I would not recommend the bus this time of year, far too rough and painfully slow.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thank you for the Trip Report.

I know in the "Wet Season" the roads are notorious.

Was there much to see and do along the way ?

This was my second trip on this road in as many months. If you have never traveld overland in Cambodia I recommend the trip. You see lots of authentic Cambodian landscape. Unfortunatly you open yourself up to what I see as a rapid decline in customer service and tourism. Hope this helps.

I took a pickup from Poipet to Battambang, then a boat to SR, very nice, very scenic, close to shore so you can see the people. Battambang is a nice town to spend a night in too.