Suvarnabhumi Airport limo bellhop arrested over 'bomb in box' joke

webfact

Airport limo bellhop arrested over ‘bomb in box’ joke
By Coconuts Bangkok

bomb_joker_.jpg
Photo: Nation TV

BANGKOK: -- After a man’s lame attempt to flirt with a flight attendant by making a bomb threat became national news two weeks ago, a limousine service staff member at Suvarnabhumi Airport was arrested yesterday after telling security guards he had a bomb.

Smart move.

Bellboy Watthana Pakcharoon, 40, reportedly tried to enter the airport's forbidden area yesterday with a cardboard box. As guards were inspecting the box, Watthana said with a straight face, "There's an explosive device inside!" according to Wanida Pa-obkaew, a security guard at the scene.

The guards immediately detained Watthana and called for commanders to inspect the box.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/16/airport-limo-bellhop-arrested-over-bomb-box-joke

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-16

It appears to me the fact that somebody works for a state enterprise or other public sector body seems to multiply by ten the chance they will indulge in certain types of bad behaviour characterised by immature foolishness, an obscene amount of lack of empathy or consideration for others, outright rudeness and a lack of concern with regard to having to suffer any consequences for their poor conduct.

Edited by Briggsy

It appears to me the fact that somebody works for a state enterprise or other public sector body seems to multiply by ten the chance they will indulge in certain types of bad behaviour characterised by immature foolishness, an obscene amount of lack of empathy or consideration for others, outright rudeness and a lack of concern with regard to having to suffer any consequences for their poor conduct.

...... together with stupidity.

..............surprised.......???

....just have a good look around.....reality check.......

...the sad and crazy thing is if you are different......you are still screwed....and if a foreigner...even moreso....

...take it or leave it....if you can....if you have already invested everything you have/had....here....God help you......

And a total lack of education / training about the subject of security, possible methods of getting bombs etc., into airports etc etc.

At my university thee over 500 security guards, all employed directly by the university, one of the senior Thai administrators has tried for years to insist that they should be educated and trained. Nothing has ever resulted.

Bottom line - none of the guards have ever has one lesson, nothing has been explained, they have no day one orientation, nothing.

Amazing Thailand.

Some people never learn

Well do you really think he knows about the event last week? Thais nowadays especially younger people (even 40) don't read newspapers, they don't watch TV news services, they have no idea what's happening in the world or in their own country, if you asked they would probably guess that China is near Canada, just too consumed with celebrities, selfies, fb, and whitening cream.

I've given MBA assignments (English programs) which required an analysis of both Thai and western newspapers over the last 6 months in regard to specific business matters, trade agreements, failed companies, etc.

First reactions: 'Thai newspapers don't have subjects like that'.

I insist they do have such subjects and there are specific Thai newspapers devoted to business matters. Response: 'Can you tell us the names of these newspapers.' 'No, you do the research.'

I push hard, mostly by demanding progress details, otherwise there would nothing handed in.

An example, just 4 days back I set up an in-class quick case study (they all have high end smartphones with internet capability or high tech notebooks) to produce an update on the re-engineering of Thai International.

First response: 'Why'. My answer: 'Because they are in serious financial trouble, close to bankruptcy and their re-engineering project is failing, and you can learn a lot of valuable professional knowledge by a deep analysis of this item.' Next response: 'It's a boring subject.'

My response: no further discussion, I'm changing the grading structure, this case study will now be worth 20 marks, and it must be handed in by e-mail today by the end of this class and I quickly re-arranged the teams down to 2 students per team.

Next response - 'our Thai professors don't give us cases like this'

My response: 'Hand-in today before you leave the class room. No further discussion.'

Edited by scorecard

Give him another chance...he has the mentality of a mischievous 10 year old and should not be held accountable for this act of foolishness...he has learned his lesson...now turn him loose so he can contribute to the wellbeing and betterment of Thai society...

I push hard, mostly by demanding progress details, otherwise there would nothing handed in.

An example, just 4 days back I set up an in-class quick case study (they all have high end smartphones with internet capability or high tech notebooks) to produce an update on the re-engineering of Thai International.

First response: 'Why'. My answer: 'Because they are in serious financial trouble, close to bankruptcy and their re-engineering project is failing, and you can learn a lot of valuable professional knowledge by a deep analysis of this item.' Next response: 'It's a boring subject.'

My response: no further discussion, I'm changing the grading structure, this case study will now be worth 20 marks, and it must be handed in by e-mail today by the end of this class and I quickly re-arranged the teams down to 2 students per team.

My response: 'Hand-in today before you leave the class room. No further discussion.'

and? Was anything handed in? Did your Thai Boss complain about your methods?

Give him another chance...he has the mentality of a mischievous 10 year old and should not be held accountable for this act of foolishness...he has learned his lesson...now turn him loose so he can contribute to the wellbeing and betterment of Thai society...

You just pegged Prayut's behavior!

He often jokes about bringing harm to people, like saying he could have a journalist shot. But he is excused because he has a good heart and reallly, really wouldn't do what he says.

So give this lowly bellhop a pass. He was just mimicking Prayut-style Thai tradition.

Kind of reminds me ..........................many years ago I worked in the head office of a major bank in Martin Plaza in Sydney's central business district. The building contained offices which were available for the use of federal politicians if they were in Sydney on business.

At one time when the building was being renovated......................my department boss had myself and three others called to his office. We were told that there had been a bomb threat phoned in and all 4 of us were going to search the level of the building that we were on for any suspicious items.

my first question to him was ..........................................

just what does a bomb look like ???????

I was sure that I wouldnt be looking for a round black ball shaped object with a burning wick sticking out the top ..............

Then you let the door open for numerous clowns to play the same silly joke knowing that there will be no punishment.

A question, would you like to take flights where these comments have been made but nothing ever checked? Would you be happy for your mother or your kids to be on such flights?

Amazing Thailand.

Some people never learn

Well do you really think he knows about the event last week? Thais nowadays especially younger people (even 40) don't read newspapers, they don't watch TV news services, they have no idea what's happening in the world or in their own country, if you asked they would probably guess that China is near Canada, just too consumed with celebrities, selfies, fb, and whitening cream.

I've given MBA assignments (English programs) which required an analysis of both Thai and western newspapers over the last 6 months in regard to specific business matters, trade agreements, failed companies, etc.

First reactions: 'Thai newspapers don't have subjects like that'.

I insist they do have such subjects and there are specific Thai newspapers devoted to business matters. Response: 'Can you tell us the names of these newspapers.' 'No, you do the research.'

good intention, tough as should be - would work in the west

but people with this mindset?

I would like to know the results

I wonder who will give in in the end of the day - hopefully it is not you