A crude response to the horrors in Paris

webfact

EDITORIAL
A crude response to the horrors in Paris

The Nation

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, a government adviser and private citizens have exploited the terror attacks for their own purposes

BANGKOK: -- Diplomatic protocol - as well as compassion - obliged Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to deliver a message of condolence to the French government and people following Friday's terror attacks in Paris. What's harder to explain is his decision to use the same message to justify his own political agenda and invoke Thai nationalism in a way that can only embarrass Thailand further.

In the wake of the Parisian atrocity, the French deserve the international community's moral support to bolster their courage. Short of discovering a way to discourage terrorists, there is nothing more we can do. And yet Prayut felt compelled to go further.

He warned the Thai news media to restrain their coverage of the political divisions that exist in our country lest they inadvertently deepen them. The media should instead be helping the government monitor the "bad elements", he said. "Conflicts can create loopholes that terrorists could take advantage of," he said. "The media and the people should keep a close eye on the situation."

National leaders around the world have this week warned their citizens to be on guard against terrorist threats, but the premier took it further, adding yet again that he's "not in conflict with anyone" and that he seized power in the 2014 coup for the sake of "national stability".

More than a year after the coup, General Prayut is evidently still insecure enough about his actions that he feels he needs to continue offering explanation. He has used every conceivable opportunity to repeat the claim that his coup was essential for national reconciliation and not a power grab designed to benefit the elite or the military itself.

Unfortunately, what's transpired in the past year does not support that claim. We have seen the reform process prolonged and constitutional attempts made to perpetuate the coup-makers' reign. Political reconciliation is paid lip service as critics are hunted down and silenced. Corruption remains rampant at all levels of society.

Adding to the torment of the prime minister's ill-worded message "to Paris", Panitan Wattanyagorn - a security adviser to Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan - blamed France's woes on "too much freedom". Excess liberty opens the doors to terrorists, Panitan said, so public freedoms are best curtailed by the authorities.

On the contrary, restricting the rights of the people foments disobedience that becomes harder and harder to contain. Authoritarianism begets insurrection.

France is a secular republic where "liberty" is minted in the national soul along with "equality", a concept not always given full rein there but clear enough in the safeguards assured to politicians and media outlets of sharply contrasting views. There is an acute social divide in France, and yet terror attacks are not permitted to challenge the right to basic freedoms.

Meanwhile Thai ultra-nationalists on the social media should be ashamed for suggesting that the French are paying some sort of karmic price for their colonialist ancestors' seizure of Siamese territory in Laos and Cambodia in late 19th century. After all, that territory did not belong to Siam in the first place - it had been annexed two centuries earlier.

Thai leaders and Thai citizens need to broaden their view. The best first response to what has happened in France, yet again - and could well happen here, yet again - is unified, global empathy, not a demonstration of tunnel vision from the other side of the world.

Within our immediate realm of capabilities, and far away from self-serving messages broadcast internationally, Thais must re-examine the security measures we have in place and be assured that further attacks can be prevented. We should be doing what we can regionally to offset the threat. And we must always bear in mind that one crime doesn't justify another. Counter-terrorism is no rationale for the seizure of power or the loss of freedom.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/A-crude-response-to-the-horrors-in-Paris-30273063.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-17

As usual, Thailand has responded (as it does to all international tragedies and emergencies) with shameless self-interest--"Thais would never do this," or "it will have little effect on tourism," or "other nations/foreign nationals have brought these ills upon themselves."

It seems the rest of the world can only dare to dream to be virtuous beacons of liberty, equality and fraternity as Thailand is.

Puke!

The introvertness of the Thais is claerly evident here......they're almost expert in giving reasons for other cuntries ills......but totally ignorant of their own ills........a terrorist attack in BKK just recently has taught them nothing........"head in the sand" refusing to accept that it was a terrorist attack!

The writer has taken a bold and - in my view - an unprecedented step in condemning everything the junta stands for.

And especially so given Prayuth's continued calls to suppress the media, his ongoing failure to 'reform' and the ever present spectre of corruption.

People need to take a long hard look at what's happening in Thailand. Since the coup, lip service has been made to any substantive change, while the wealthy and influential continue to consolidate and grow their power.

An excellent article.

The writer has taken a bold and - in my view - an unprecedented step in condemning everything the junta stands for.

And especially so given Prayuth's continued calls to suppress the media, his ongoing failure to 'reform' and the ever present spectre of corruption.

People need to take a long hard look at what's happening in Thailand. Since the coup, lip service has been made to any substantive change, while the wealthy and influential continue to consolidate and grow their power.

An excellent article.

You must be new here.

Go spend a few days reading up on what Thaksin did to suppress the media and the outrageous corruption in his governments. Start with an easy one : the rice scheme. 500 billion 'lost' from a 600 billion budget - but there are plenty more.

Then try to understand that the Junta is here to stop the Thai government murdering it's own people on the streets with UDD terrorists while they pass amnesty bills for themselves and also try to make reforms so the next elected government can make the changes you are talking about instead of going back to the same old farce we had before. Why do you people think they should solve all the problems themselves ?. They are Army people for Christs sake.

Look around the rest of the world, the wealthy and influential are everywhere just the same. If you think you can change that, you are a communist.

"try to understand that the Junta is here to stop the Thai government murdering it's own people"

I understood that it was the Junta' own people (RTA) did most of the shooting and killing.......are you saying the army is trying to stop themselves killing more Thais again?

Edited by ChrisY1

Thais only know their history, and even then, only about 10% of it. They need to learn to shut up and learn from others. They are not good at introspection.

they are certainly not alone in that. American world and historic knowledge is little better.

Just a bit of crude journalistic sensationalism!

All politicians (and the head of the junta too) will use whatever means they can to bolster their standing. But, they also have a duty of care to their citizens when events like this occur.

Personally, I thought Prayut's message of sympathy to the French people was appropriate. The response to heighten security in the country is probably on a par with other nations.

Whilst I certainly don't support the junta, I have to say that this editorial seems to be exploiting the tragedy in Paris as the means for it to take a cheap shot at the junta.

If The Nation were serious about being critical of the junta, they should do so for appropriate domestic reasons, and not by association with international tragedy.

As we have a person on the lower end of any political aptitude test and being a former Thai Army General with no regard for anything when the chips are down as a self appointed Prime Minister , the advisers are all hand picked yes men who wouldn't pass muster in a spelling competition and only write speeches that they know will mean nothing outside and even more meaningless inside Thailand, the response from Thailand and its people should have come from another quarter and should have been brief and to the point, get the drift....................bah.gif

A bold and well written editorial.

Sure is. The man should be feeling a bit of a dill if he read it, but of course he won't.

Won't read it and won't feel like a dill even if he did.

What is a dill?

I think the answer lies somewhere in the multiple studies into extreme conservatism that all seem to reach the same conclusions:

“There’s no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb…Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice.”

No one who's actually intelligent pays any attention at all to such obviously politically-biased 'studies', except to scoff at them.

You really think Montesquieu (if you've even heard of him, which I doubt) could be considered 'low-intelligence'? Or Edmund Burke? Or Robert Taft, Sr. or Jr.? Or Paul Johnson? Or Pat Buchanan?

People who disagree with you aren't automatically stupid. It's incredibly arrogant of you to claim otherwise.

People who are truly intelligent, understand actual history, and are self-aware know their own limitations. This description doesn't fit the modern Left; they don't understand actual history and they aren't self-aware.

Note that I did not say that they're stupid.

As a paleo-conservative with a measured IQ three standard deviations above the norm, my very existence refutes those studies. And when I was younger, I was indeed a Leftist myself, until I'd traveled a bit and learned how the world really works. I guess you might say that I evolved.

An article of truth and so all decent people should applaud it. This junta will use anything and I mean anything to justify it's vice-like grip. We even had the 'it hasn't effected tourism' rant from one of the junta's Ministers. How insensitive and abhorrent is that? Now the junta leader will justify further suppression in the name of 'anti-terrorism'. Only a few right wing fanatics on here could possibly support it - and they do.

Crude response? you bet! but did we expect anything else? not normally a 'The Nation' supporter and would not read it if it were free but even they, the elite's mouthpiece, can identify what's going on and there is some HOPE in that!

What people don`t often realise is that Thailand is a world apart from Europe and European affairs.

That must be the reasofn WW2 didn't affect Thailand at all.

Modern world makes us all interconnected. You think this hasn't given some radical down south ideas?

I see posters talking about past Thai governments, for and against the junta...but is the article true or false? This article is about The PM's speech concerning the attack on Paris which has just happened so shouldn't we posters be be analyzing the article in the NOW. The atrocity in Paris didn't happen during past Thai governments so we don't actually know what their response would have been. Yes, we can guess or speculate, but that is neither here nor there. I didn't see the PM's comment on the news so I not able comment on it but like another poster here the article is certainly very bold...but can someone tell me if it was telling the truth?

A bold and well written editorial.

Sure is. The man should be feeling a bit of a dill if he read it, but of course he won't.

Won't read it and won't feel like a dill even if he did.

What is a dill?

A stupid person. It's Aussie. It may be short for dildo. But either way it's no term of endearment.

I can't decide if the PM condolences were appropriate or not. He acted according to diplomatic protocol, and I guess there were a couple of people in the Foreign Ministry who advised on proper content.

But I do find it interesting that The Nation now has published several editorials critical of the junta during the last weeks. Now both English language newspapers are publishing content critical of the current "government" (e.g. Atiya Achakulwisut writes today of the murky deals in the Rajabhakti Park).

Even though the military appears to have no desire in critical information being freely distributed (e.g. single gateway, government saying France has "too much freedom", etc) the critical voices seem hard to silence. That is quite encouraging - maybe Thailand will safely get through this period whatever restrictions the power-grabbers come up with.

I think the answer lies somewhere in the multiple studies into extreme conservatism that all seem to reach the same conclusions:

“There’s no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb…Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice.”

No one who's actually intelligent pays any attention at all to such obviously politically-biased 'studies', except to scoff at them.

You really think Montesquieu (if you've even heard of him, which I doubt) could be considered 'low-intelligence'? Or Edmund Burke? Or Robert Taft, Sr. or Jr.? Or Paul Johnson? Or Pat Buchanan?

People who disagree with you aren't automatically stupid. It's incredibly arrogant of you to claim otherwise.

People who are truly intelligent, understand actual history, and are self-aware know their own limitations. This description doesn't fit the modern Left; they don't understand actual history and they aren't self-aware.

Note that I did not say that they're stupid.

As a paleo-conservative with a measured IQ three standard deviations above the norm, my very existence refutes those studies. And when I was younger, I was indeed a Leftist myself, until I'd traveled a bit and learned how the world really works. I guess you might say that I evolved.

I believe you have fallen into a common logical trap.

The point was that low intelligence people tend to gravitate toward extreme conservatism; not that all conservative thinkers are low intelligence.

By the way, your "very existence" doesn't refute studies of conservative tendencies.

Surely someone at "three standard deviations" can understand statistical variation.