Questions For Sunbelt Re A Visa If Thai Spouse Is Making 40k Baht/mo

Sunbelt -

The (Thai) lady I have lived with for many years has been earning more than 40K baht for for a number of years now. Her pay is deposited in her bank account montlhy by her company and there is a complete bank record. tax record, etc. We have no dependents.

I worked at a University here for nine years and stopped working several years ago to write. Since I stopped working I have been staying in Thailand on 2 month tourist visas and entry visas.

If we marry can I prompty get the spouse visa based on her salary that is described elsewhere on these forums ?

Is this a 12 month multiple entry visa ?

What is the total cost for everything involved in obtaining this visa?

Will we need an attorney such as Sunbelt to help us handle this ?

I was informed some years back that Thai ladies married to foreigners cannot own land in Thailand -is this true or was it true and has been changed or maybe never was true ?

We pooled our money and bought a condo in Bangkok where we live and which is registered in her name only. She also owns a building lot in Ayuttya which she received from her father which is registered in her name only and we are planning to build a house there in the next few years. We haven't married because when we understood some years back that Thai women married to foreigners cannot own land we didn't want to risk having difficulties with this land or other land we might want to buy in the future.

Can you give us the complete details on getting the visa and also answer our questions about the impact getting married would have on her land ownership ?

Many thanks in advance for your time and attention to this

Anders Olavson

I am also concerned about this. Married legally outside of Thailand and have not registered our marriage here because it would stop her from buying land. Is this silly law still on the books?

If we go to apply for a Non Immigrant O visa and she shows her tabien baan in her name as owner of the house, will it cause her problems?

1. Under current policy the extension of stay is open for 40k income from either spouse.

2. It is a 12 month extension of stay - no need to leave Thailand.

3. Cost to TM.7 (1,900 baht), bank letter (200 baht), photos/copies etc (odd baht) plus fees to get it together.

4. No. But at the low cost involved it might be a lot less stress; and the fact the rules have just changed.

5. Land ownership is no longer a problem (rules were changed some years ago).

6. Complete details can be found in many posts by both Sunbelt and others. Remember the new rules are just out so they have not been covered in detail by many yet (and are not on official web site of Immigration at last look).

Lopburi3-

Thank you for your time in replying to my post - very kind of you

I see I was not specific enough re what I was aking however, so I have the following question now for Sunbelt or whoever might know:

I am currently here on a 30 day entry from doing a border run to Cambodia - will I have to go out of country to get a visa upon which to get the extension or can I do it all in Bangkok after the marriage ?

Thanks again

Anders

Believe Sunbelt has reported conversions still being allowed this week but I would not count on it lasting forever. Once married do not believe you would have much problem getting a visa from a Consulate if that was required.

Hi Anders,

If we marry can I prompty get the spouse visa based on her salary that is described elsewhere on these forums ?

yes

Is this a 12 month multiple entry visa ?

If you want a multiple entry, you can apply for that, after you get the extension of stay.

What is the total cost for everything involved in obtaining this visa?

If you change from a 30 day stamp. Its 2,000 Baht government fee for the change to a 90 day non-immigrant visa and 1,900 Baht for the extension of stay. The multiple rentry government fee is 3,800 Baht

Our professional fee is 3,900 Baht for the change to a 90 day non immigrant visa and 6,500 Baht for the extension of stay.

Will we need an attorney such as Sunbelt to help us handle this ?

Just depends. One if the reasons our office is busy, a number of people like the peace of mind including the Thai wives, to help them with the process. Even at the Immigration office, we are approached by people frustrated with the process. Others however have managed to get the extension of stay on their own.

I was informed some years back that Thai ladies married to foreigners cannot own land in Thailand -is this true or was it true and has been changed or maybe never was true ?

Yes, since 1999! Prior to 1998, any Thai woman who married a foreigner would lose her right to purchase land in Thailand. She could, however, still retain land that she owned prior to marrying the foreigner. However, the recent Ministerial regulation from 1999 now allows Thai national's married to foreigners the right to purchase land, but the Thai spouse must prove that the money used in the purchase of freehold land is legally solely theirs with no foreign claim to it. This is usually achieved by the foreign spouse signing a declaration stating that the funds used for the purchase of property belonged to the Thai spouse prior to the marriage and are beyond his claim.

We pooled our money and bought a condo in Bangkok where we live and which is registered in her name only.

This condo can have your name on it as well as long as less than 49% of the condo units are owned by foreigners.

She also owns a building lot in Ayuttya which she received from her father which is registered in her name only and we are planning to build a house there in the next few years. We haven't married because when we understood some years back that Thai women married to foreigners cannot own land we didn't want to risk having difficulties with this land or other land we might want to buy in the future.

Feel free to marry each other now. :o

Can you give us the complete details on getting the visa and also answer our questions about the impact getting married would have on her land ownership ?

You will need the following:

1. Copy of Household Registration of Thai Wife.

2. Copy of Identification Card of Thai Wife.

3. Copy of Marriage Certificate

4. Clarification of Marital Status before Marriage. ( Obtained at the Embassy)

5. Statement of guarantee of pension income from your Embassy that you have an income of at least Baht 40,000 per month or letter of guarantee from a foreign employer, that you are a employee, salary, position, years worked or proof of this Thai income by you or your wife with the last three months of Phor Ngor Dor.1 (Personal Income tax form filed on a monthly basis) and Phor Ngor Dor.91 ( Filed on a yearly basis in March)

6.Copy of birth certificates of children. (if any)

7.Photo of place of residence. (show house’s number)

8.Map and telephone’s number of place of residence.

9.If working, a letter of guarantee from your employer. A copy of work permit as well if working in Thailand.

10. Photos of your wife clothes and your clothes in the same closet, picture of your wife and you sitting on a living room sofa and pictures of the wedding. (This is not required if you have a birth certificate of children together.)

11. Application form TM 7 with 2x2 inch square photo’s attached.

12. A valid passport

I am currently here on a 30 day entry from doing a border run to Cambodia - will I have to go out of country to get a visa upon which to get the extension or can I do it all in Bangkok after the marriage ?

It can be obtained inside Thailand.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

How many days have to be left on the 30 day stamp to switch from a 30 day stamp to a Non Immigrant O?

Is there still the rule that it must be 21 or more days or could I go a week before I have to leave for yet another border run?

Thanks Sunbelt and others for all your amazing answers!

:o

Edited by my benny rai

How many days have to be left on the 30 day stamp to switch from a 30 day stamp to a Non Immigrant O?

Is there still the rule that it must be 21 or more days or could I go a week before I have to leave for yet another border run?

Thanks Sunbelt and others for all your amazing answers!

:o

It is supposed to be 21 days but Immigration is using discretion to allow the change NOW, no matter how many days are remaining.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

If you change from a 30 day stamp. Its 2,000 Baht government fee for the change to a 90 day non-immigrant visa and 1,900 Baht for the extension of stay. The multiple rentry government fee is 3,800 Baht

Our professional fee is 3,900 Baht for the change to a 90 day non immigrant visa and 6,500 Baht for the extension of stay.

Sunbelt -

So what exacly happens with this process if your office handles it ? We give the paperwork at your office and the government fee of 2000 baht plus your fee of 3900 baht and you change the 30 day entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa - giving me 90 days to extend for 1 year - is this right ?

Is there a time period before the 90 days is up that the extention has to be applied for or is it just a matter of doing it at the end of the 90 day period and at that time the government cost is 1,900 baht and your office fee is 6,500 baht?

And if I want multiple entry I add 3,800 baht at the time of getting the extension.

Have I got the timing and costs correct here ?

Anders