New life in Ubon

slotmachine

I'm moving back to my hometown, Ubon and I have some questions to be answered.

1. What kind of opportunity and income i could make there, where English skills and business experience would be one of many qualifications that employers look for.

2. How could I make contacts and creating social environment.

3. What kind of life style and where do people hang out? (I'm not interested in clubbing or loud music, kinda laid back and enjoy the nature)

Most of the time, I am Thai woman in her late 20's, working (Consultancy)and studying( Distance Education ) in Bangkok.

Looking forward to hear from you all soon.

Your Thai & Isaan are still fluent as well? (I know some people who have lived overseas for most of their lives, forget their Thai, particularly written Thai).

You should be well positioned if you've been living overseas and are fluent in English, Thai & Isaan (I assume you've been living overseas?, otherwise you probably wouldn't be asking on an expat forum lol). Although knowing Thailand, a lot will also depend on what degree you're studying, unless you can find the right company/contacts.

In general (I don't live in Ubon), your best bet would likely be Thai friends there, as Farang are legally restricted in their employment choices, so mostly only know about employment opportunities which are specific to Farang (e.g. English teachers etc). Although there might of course be some here who manage companies or people who can ask their wife/husband about employment opportunities for someone with your qualifications.

If you have any entrepreneurial abilities then I would suggest that you consider forming and operating a tourist tour company offering tours to Thais and foreigners in this part of the country and doing mixed tours of Lower Isaan, southern Laos and Cambodia. Start small to learn the ropes and develop your contacts. You may have to start with bespoke tours (essentially offering personalised guided tours). As you develop marketing (selling the proposition) and operational (suppliers of hotels, contacts for guiding in Cambodia/Laos) you would be able to design and offer pre-packaged tours.

Tourism is the one industry that has great growth potential and Isaan is hopelessly undersold by those currently involved in tourism. There is also a potentially lucrative (but maybe short term, since immigration rules change) opportunity to operate visa running from Ubon and maybe other Isaan airports into Laos.

I would be doing this myself if my wife wanted to work/if we needed the money

Come hashing with Ubon Hash House Harriers. We will introduce you to the falang perspective on Ubon. You'll meet people and see the sides of Ubon that even Ubon dwellers do not see.

facebook.com/ubonhash

Thank you for your response so far,

To answer tookwan cottage's question, that was a mistake i have wrote and I still don't know where to edit.

What I was trying to say was " Most of my entire life, I grew up in Bangkok, ping-pong back and forth between Isaan and here and there. Yes, I am fluent in Thai, Isaan and English language.

So, to answer khun Aly Animal, no, I've never lived overseas, but worked my way hard to finish a long distance high school diploma from the US.

At the moment, I'm still on my way to finish my business degree so no degree yet. However, I got quite lucky to work with vary companies which I learned from end-to-end process and dealing with many massive tasks as an executive assistant. I know quite a lot intern of how to run a business, including HR management, finance, taxes and law regulations, which will take you 4 years to achieve these things.

Edited by slotmachine

I believe you may be seeking information at the wrong place (here). Whilst I sincerely hope you get help, you are enquiring to a small section of the Thai community who are severely restricted by your government, as to what work we are allowed to do legally.

I wish you well

I might be wrong but I think you might struggle to get the break your looking for in ubon, my gf is a computer programmer who lives in ubon and she's having the same problem to find a decent job unless she moves to a different city.

There are plenty of little bars/eateries where people hang out, there's the usual aerobic dance classes where you'll be able to meet people, the main lotus superstore on the main road free aerobics every night@ 6pm, Thrung Sri Muang Park-lots of things going on in there every night.

Hope this helps

Strange question miss slot machine should know most of the answers already before posting here, take a tip from me your not cut out to be anything more than a worker in a company, having said that choose your life style and where you think best it would be then go for that where ever it might be.

If the op is so clued up & an expert in running all departments of a business then BKK would have better opportunities for her

In guessing the bar has sacked her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do know what we do with rockets in Isaan don't you!

Keep your nasty cynical small mind in Bangkok.

So, a Thai asking these questions...well, I try to answer something hoping you are serious.

1. You say you haven't finished your degree yet. Go and do it, since so many Thai companies won't even consider hiring someone without a finished degree. Secondly, it goes to show that you are capable of finishing your studies (= finishing what you start).

2. I was talking to a Thai friend working in a position that is loaded with heavy workload in a hotel management. He works in Khon Kaen in one of the biggest and most expensive hotels. He honestly said he wants to go back to Bangkok but can't for family reasons. According to him and his experience of 20+ years one makes a lot more money in BKK.

3. Since you mentioned USA, I would look a job from that direction. Plenty more opportunities than in Thailand without right connections. As you may very well know, you may have whatever diploma but someone with right family ties and so on comes here first.

4. Marry a wealthy foreigner...LOL :D

• 1 month later...