Most effective way to learn thai semi-fluently?

P4K

Don't try and find a quick fix. It takes work, motivation and a lot of time spent with Thai people who can barely speak English.

I arrived when I was 23 and was highly motivated to learn. I did so without lessons and was the only farang English teacher in my school. Hooked up with some student teachers who helped here and there, and I went out of my way to keep my circle mostly Thai for a year or two. 15 years later and I can speak pretty fluently. The first year is important.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip number one:

Buy a long haired, dark eyed dictionary.

Can be a tad more expensive than the conventional kind. If you have a Kindle or similar eBook, I'd recommend "English-Thai Pocket Dictionary" by Mike Simpson. It has the Thai characters for the word as well as the phonetic version, so when you show it to a Thai they will be able to pronounce the word correctly fo you. From memory, Kindle version less than $4.

Be aware Bangkok Thai can differ from Lanna or Issan Thai.

Glad to see that your goal is to learn to communicate effectively. I have often said that if your goal is to learn to speak Thai badly, then don't learn to read.

Reading is essential to learning Thai to communicate effectively. It's a very elegant system of writing that integrates seamlessly with the spoken language; if you can read a word in Thai (after learning the rules of pronunciation), you can pronounce it perfectly. Don't be put off by the 44 consonants. Remember that English has 52 (not 26) letters to learn. Thai has no lower case.

I learned to read, write, and speak Thai in 1977 when I was 22 years old, so very similar to your situation. I felt it was a year before I had an independent conversation beyond the standard interview of "where are you from?" and "do you like Thai food?" so it definitely takes persistence. Don't be afraid to get out there and try to speak, even if you embarrass yourself. Thai people are generally encouraging of foreigners who attempt to learn their language. Of course you know, the younger you are when you start to learn a foreign language, the closer you'll be to native fluency/pronunciation in the end.

Take formal lessons. The Thai language is not something you will learn very fast. For one your hearing is going to adapt to listening and distinguishing between the different tones and words. As for proper pronunciation, learning to read Thai is what is going to do that. I'm at that point where when learning a new word I need to see it written in Thai so I understand how to say it properly. No matter how hard you may think it is, never tell yourself you can do it.

Tip number one:

Can be a tad more expensive than the conventional kind. If you have a Kindle or similar eBook, I'd recommend "English-Thai Pocket Dictionary" by Mike Simpson. It has the Thai characters for the word as well as the phonetic version, so when you show it to a Thai they will be able to pronounce the word correctly fo you. From memory, Kindle version less than $4.

Be aware Bangkok Thai can differ from Lanna or Issan Thai.

Yes... and let's not forget most of the easily available long haired dark eyed dictionaries don't speak proper Thai, many read it approximatively and many can't spell properly either.

Tip number one:

I tend to agree, horizontal studies has been the best way for me to learn languages--and it has fringe benefits in addition to learning the language. The caveat; however, is to find a suitable long-haired dictionary who can speak reasonable English.

Try www.highspeedthai.com

It works for me and i am ovet 60 years old

You should pick it ip quickly

I have stacks of CD courses and a shelf full of books. Taken many tutored courses. Not much in the way of results. I have spent some time researching online courses and just bought highspeedthai.com. I am hoping this is the one that will work. The format and sample lessons make sense to me. Motivation, dedication and discipline are key.

Try www.highspeedthai.com

It works for me and i am ovet 60 years old

You should pick it ip quickly

I have stacks of CD courses and a shelf full of books. Taken many tutored courses. Not much in the way of results. I have spent some time researching online courses and just bought highspeedthai.com. I am hoping this is the one that will work. The format and sample lessons make sense to me. Motivation, dedication and discipline are key.

Hi Willie

Can you let me know how that one goes. Have you tried Thaipod 101. I have been using it and found it quite good. Like all of them it has its drawbacks The hard sell is tedious and it largely deals with 18-25 audience which is OK but limited if you are not in that age range. It has heaps of lesson at the beginner level but not so much at advanced. I like the fact that it has written notes on grammar and usage as well as transcripts of the lessons and vocabulary. It also has a word bank and flashcards which are essential for learning and revision.

And just how many languages do you speak Cassanova

Tip number one:

I tend to agree, horizontal studies has been the best way for me to learn languages--and it has fringe benefits in addition to learning the language. The caveat; however, is to find a suitable long-haired dictionary who can speak reasonable English.

I have just started a 'Thai Style' language course which includes internet access and books. They organise a Thai teacher to either come to your house or you can meet them at a location of convenience to you both. She visits me every Saturday morning for a two hour lesson with a cost of 300฿ an hour and travelling costs of 200฿.

I tried to speak Thai, even with classes and feedback. Real Thai people could not understand me. I now speak only English.

I agree, after 20 years I gave up, waste of time

Me too. The incentive is just not there as most people where I live and work speak English or understand my (very) basic Thai.

Tip number one:

Several my challenged friend, but two I learned through horizontal study--and those were leaned with pleasure.

One can also give up. The locals do not speak traditional Thai & also speak rapidly.

It's really infuriating when people who surround themselves with the lowest rung of thais automatically put 100% of farangs and thais in their own category.

There"s millions of thais even in the stick that pride themselves in speaking and writing good thai most of the time. Lots of Thais who speak thai badly will make an effort when talking to you.

Stop projecting your life onto everyone. Literally 100% of your post in every forum makes thais and farang look like complete failures in all aspects of life. You've posted 200 post describing your wife as a simple minded woman in the motor forum. Now you're insulting all thais instead of just your wife. I don't even know how you can live with yourself after all the horrible stories you were writing about her in the motor forum. I say a lot of horrible things but i would never stoop so low as to degrade my wife like you do

Edited by bearpolar

One can also give up. The locals do not speak traditional Thai & also speak rapidly.

It's really infuriating when people who surround themselves with the lowest rung of thais automatically put 100% of farangs and thais in their own category.

There"s millions of thais even in the stick that pride themselves in speaking and writing good thai most of the time. Lots of Thais who speak thai badly will make an effort when talking to you.

Stop projecting your life onto everyone. Literally 100% of your post in every forum makes thais and farang look like complete failures in all aspects of life. You've posted 200 post describing your wife as a simple minded woman in the motor forum. Now you're insulting all thais instead of just your wife. I don't even know how you can live with yourself after all the horrible stories you were writing about her in the motor forum. I say a lot of horrible things but i would never stoop so low as to degrade my wife like you do

The "lowest rung"! How insulting and snobbish.

So you wouldnt consider nazi punks the lowest rung of white civilization?

You wouldnt consider ISIS to be the lowest rung of muslims?

Everyone is the same? Nobody is worthless and as far as possible from representing a normal person?

Edited by bearpolar

So you wouldnt consider nazi punks the lowest rung of white civilization?

You wouldnt consider ISIS to be the lowest rung of muslims?

Everyone is the same? Nobody is worthless and as far as possible from representing a normal person?

So you're suggesting that many of the people who people on this forum hang out with are the equivalent of nazi punks and ISIS? Edited by brewsterbudgen

The way fang speaks about thailand and his wife, hes surounded by people that are much worse than that. Every single of his thousands of post is thai bashing. Instead of crybabying it you could of read his comment and his previous comments.

Edited by bearpolar

The "lowest rung"! How insulting and snobbish.

You've admitted that you and your family aren't even Thai. More seriously, somebody's got to be on the lowest rung.

Child molestors, racists and murderers? Which rung are they on? They'd be low for me but some seem to cast a wider net.

Child molestors, racists and murderers? Which rung are they on? They'd be low for me but some seem to cast a wider net.

Wrong ladder. You're confounding moral worth and social status.

• Child molestors as such keep their social status so long as they don't molest any one who matters, or whose protector matters. Societies differ as to who matters.

• Racists are fine in a racist society.

• If you look through history, you'll find a good many rulers murdered their predecessors or rivals, the number depending on what you consider murder. I'll leave you to ponder the cases of those in Thailand who've got away with murder.

Unfortunately this valuable forum has descended into a childish spat The Op was a young person who sought advise on learning Thai. It should have been allowed to continued in this vein, as it would have been a valuable ongoing source of advice to people wishing to embark on the long journey of studying and even mastering Thai . Unfortunately it now seems to have been diverted from this purpose.

Tip number one:

It will take more than that. Just because someone can speak Thai doesn't mean they can teach Thai. There are grammer rules and aspects of the language they may not know how to explain in English.

First rule, make sure you are not tone deaf. If you can make the 5 tones and can hear the difference between the tones, then you should have no problem with continuing to learn the language. If you can't do this? Then forget it, it's not going to happen.

Again that's old man who gave up thai because his dak-ling speaks bad thai

Im tone def(and so are tons of thais and im almost deaf on one side) and at some point i managed to start hearing the tones after understanding how to speak them myself. Im not surprised at all that fang37 clicked the like button. Your kind of people are always backing each others on any negativety towards anything thai.

If you people would put at much effort in thai language as you do in projecting your insecurities you'd be masters writing your own thai grammar books.

You know what would of been even easier than giving up on Thai? reading the title "Most effective way to learn..." If you could not learn then just don't post?

Edited by bearpolar

Been here 13 years. During the 1st week, I purchased a pocket dictionary in order to improve my vocab. Vocab - 'reasonable'.

Local Thais, for me, speak too fast & too quickly.

That, my friend is something, I cannot control.

When I lived in CNX, I did not experience such difficulties.

My wife - living in CNX - no problem.

Here, big problem.

OK, why is that?

Been here 13 years. During the 1st week, I purchased a pocket dictionary in order to improve my vocab. Vocab - 'reasonable'.

Local Thais, for me, speak too fast & too quickly.

That, my friend is something, I cannot control.

When I lived in CNX, I did not experience such difficulties.

My wife - living in CNX - no problem.

Here, big problem.

OK, why is that?

I suspect because that is the natural speed of conversations among Thais speaking the same dialect and some people like my sister in law just naturally speak quickly.. Some of the computer based language systems will give lessons in "normal speed" and then repeat the dialogue slowed down. This helps so that eventually you can pick up key words in a conversation. Context will also help. In short accessing an online Thai course or a qualified teacher is essential