Pretentious 'Amazing Thailand Luxury' ad aimed at rich Hong Kong tourists

Jonathan Fairfield

Pretentious 'Amazing Thailand Luxury' ad aimed at rich Hong Kong tourists

By Coconuts Bangkok

limo.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Driving through Chinatown traffic in a limousine, having a butler serve you drinks while cycling outside Wat Phra Kaew and hiring a dozen Thais to carry your designer shopping bags? If this was real life, there would also be a bunch of people muttering “douchebags” as they watched such a brash display of flashing the cash.

The Hong Kong tourists who have seen this video are going to be mightily disappointed when they actually visit Thailand as the new advert by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) showcases a dream sequence of a ultra-luxe travel experience in Thailand -- something only possible for the 1 percent.

The video posted to the Hong Kong Facebook page of TAT on Monday has almost reached 300,000 views already.

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-17

please post here the comments of your students ... i'm curious to know what the brief was to get this over-accumulation of redundant cliches and phantasms - about how these happy few / beautiful people know the art of living and enjoying every second / moment of their privileged existence, just because they deserve it. Squeeze coconut pulp directly using your hands, be cool, keep your costly rings on, it's so chic.

Edited by Opl

Hahahahaha... Driving a limo through Chinatown is a luxury? Seriously, who wants to be in a conjested traffic?

Hong Kongers can stay at home and get all the congestion they want.

I lived in HK for 20 years and am only too well aware the people there are as much into face as anyone so those with the big money would probably rather drop into conversations they'd been shopping in Paris, Milan, New York etc so LoS is up against major league opposition.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

HaHaHa! I've been to Yaowarat Rd by day, wall to wall traffic....but I didn't see any Thai wearing a Tuxedo....and at night with street vendors lining each side of the road, double parked cars and pick-up and almost as much traffic....no stretch limos. False advertising me thinks!

The "Where life rules everything" slogan seems incompatible with the advert.

"Where money rules everything" I, think, would be more accurate for the advert.

BTW ... If you are willing to spend $3,000, $4,000, $5,000 per day you can have an amazing time in almost any country in the world. If I could spend that kind of money on holiday, Thailand wouldn't be at the top of my list of destinations.

All these are real places and real luxury that can be bought by wealthier foreigners in Thailand.

It's nice to see that TAT does not only focus on cheap mass tourism, backpackers and pensioners...

The video is too long though... At least if you don't really like the song they chose.

What, no barbecued loin of tiger or slow cooked leg of snow leopard?

PS. That limo had better have a toilet. He could be there for a while unless of course he has a detachment of police clearing the road for him like the real hiso's do here.

Edited by The Deerhunter

And I thought Thailand was against smoking on local movies and ads.......obviously the rich can do anything........childish ad of the worst type........Asians tho' will love it!

And drinking alcohol.

Notice how many scenes show them drinking champagne.

I will show this to my Tourism students tomorrow and see how they react. Most likely in dis-belief and laughter.

You should bring your students to the Mjets Terminal of Don Mueang, and see what kind of foreigners arrive there by jet.

You should bring your students to these hotels in the video (Siam Kempinsky, Four Seasons Tented Camp, Ratavadee,...).

Your students may well tell you that it is much better to be stuck in Chinatown traffic in a limo than in a tuk tuk...

And, by the way, you may not be a target customer for businesses selling luxury, but, as examples, there are over 50 Rolls Royces in Bangkok, over 450 Ferraris registered in Thailand, over 300 Lambos, over 1500 Porsches, ... and, of course, countless Class S limos... Your students certainly love to see these in the streets.

Central Embassy (in the video), but also all other major luxury malls do have concierge service, and accompanying attendants, for high spenders. The real high spenders.

If your students learn about tourism, they may very love the fact that their own country can cater to the needs of wealthy visitors with a seaplane. Or even other types of private jets and helicopters. Not all students will work in cheap guest houses, serving cheap farangs.

You may want to teach your students that those foreigners who spend money on luxury hotels, luxury transportation, champagne and cigars (I did not see caviar in the video), are not reserved for other countries. Thailand also has its share.

Yachting and yacht charter around Thailand is certainly something of interest for your students.

You, as a teacher, may not be able to experience it, but it provides very good jobs for the Thais.

And, on yachts bigger than the one seen in the video.

As a teacher you certainly know that certain luxury hotels, such as the Four Seasons and the Anantara, provide luxury jungle tours with cars... but also elephants.

And, your student may like to know that these "services" help save elephants which were on the streets... A very nice way to reconcile luxury with protection of the environment.

There is nothing much to say about cooking classes and luxury restaurants seen in the video.

Hopefully for your students, there are many of these luxury places to provide them with jobs, rather than ending up in a noodle shop.

Then, there is the excellence of the service in Thailand, which even backpackers can enjoy.

You teach your students to keep delivering such an excellent service... even to the wealthy visitors, right?

There is a lot Thailand has to offer to wealthy foreigners.

As a teacher you should indeed show this video to your students and let them see that value can be created from all side, and with all types of visitors.

But, if you yourself laugh at luxury tourism, ... I think that you should quit your job.

Or maybe try to find a friend who will allow you to experience luxury in Thailand, so that you understand it better... and can teach the right thing to your students.

Edited by gerry1011

Hahahahaha... Driving a limo through Chinatown is a luxury? Seriously, who wants to be in a conjested traffic?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe being in traffic with that air-coned limo, plenty of champagne, and those hot babes wouldn't be so awful. That is, until all that champagne needs to come out.

Edited by HerbalEd