Trial dates set for journalist in possession of bulletproof vest, helmet in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you Can have a Gun in your house to "protect yourself"

but you cant protect yourself outside our house with protective gear ?

well it makes "some" sense, you can shoot anyone get to your house, but the one comes to your house must be able to be shoot tongue.png

guess that makes certain Car's made in Germany while driving trough a Mob also "Armor" and therefor Illegal ? tongue.png

Seriously???

"considered weapons under Thai law"--- "I'm gonna stab you with my bulletproof vest" with the same kind of logic then, any car would be a weapon as well as a Water-Buffalo and a dog.

And for the helmet...That explains why Thais are so reluctant to wear helmets whilst riding motorcycles...

Edited by AlQaholic

Late 80's, early 90's, Thailand was my Shangri-La. Idiocy like this all too frequently was one of the reasons I left 10 years ago. Every time I think I've heard it all, something like this comes along. I hope the case will be dismissed, but let's not hold our breath....

I just checked, possession of bulletproof vests without a license ARE actually illegal in most countries, to prevent criminals easy access to protection, however the laws covering this are mostly separate from gun control laws, whereas in Thailand they just decided to define it as a weapon to achieve the same result.

But on the other hand they should have looked away when this Journalist shows up with a vest, this should have never gone to court.

Edited by AlQaholic

Another mindless act of stupidity in La la land....... It's ok to go around murdering people on beaches, but for christs sake don't carry PROTECTIVE articles of clothing around with you to a site of a bombing in consideration that there might be a need for protection......... I really do hope Thailand drops this one, it's making the country look petty even for Thai standards.......

One can only assume he has upset the military juntaship. Or amybe doing favours for China and this chap has written an article about the spratlyes or simialr

What about we cponcentrate on important things, such as, oh I don't know, what about replanting the central barrier plants outside my house on the main road, surely someone important will be driving past some time.

I honked my horn on my bike (one short beep) behind a red truck that had blocked the bike lane hoping he would move a little so I could pass. This was right past Kad Suan Keaw at the light going west during broad daylight. The driver who had passengers got out of the truck (small old guy with no teeth) with a foot long machete and starting shaking it at me and walking toward me. I aimed my big bike at the little bastard and said c'mon do it. He got back in the truck. Point is they all carry weapons and the police do nothing.

This place is a joke in a thousand different ways.

So it's against the law to wear a motorcycle helmut but I get fined if I don't wear one? What's the problem with that kind of thinking? Makes sense to me. And of course a "journalist" with credentials is clearly a terrorist if he/she is covering a story where guns and bombs are going off.

Amazing Thailand. Can you imagine if it becomes against the law here to pick your nose? The streets would become empty.

Well, I hope that they will find him guilty and jail him for life this terrorist...What? hang on a minute.. what was his

'crimes' ? possessing a bulletproof vest and a helmet? so all the Thai men going around with concealed weapons

on them such guns, knifes and clubs in their cars and motorcycles, what they should be charged with?

Another form of "Thainess", no bloody common sense. The police and courts are making such a noise on this one it will go on the world stage once the trial starts.

Sure the vest and helmet are illegal, as in many other countries, but the guy is a journalist covering violent situations. Yes he should have registered them, but for heaven's sake, will the police please recognize the triviality here, give him a heavy fine and ship him out.

If the guy had a bad hair-do, a motley beard, a prominent proboscis, and shouted "God is great" regularly, sure then throw him into the slammer.

Thais expect that this guy will not come back. Thus they'll not have to jail him (which would be infamous) + the guy will remain the bad guy escaping "justice".

He is a journalist. Cannot have travel bans. Besides he has moved from covering stories to being one. He will come back for this sham.

This "bullet-proof vest is a weapon" is clearly wrong, pretty much any non-thai can see this.

But it seems the mentality exists in other areas too.

I have another example, not in the same league as this for seriousness, but an equal match in stupidity. My local supermarket. They keep the Soda water stocked on the same shelves as the alcohol. When my friend tried to buy a box of soda water during the alcohol prohibited times (about 3'o clock I think) he was told at the cash register that he couldn't buy it because of the time. He protested that it wasn't alcohol, but was told it was stocked on the alcohol shelf so he couldn't buy it.

My friend bought some soda water from 7-11 instead, lets hope this poor victim of stupidity gets a simple and fair solution soon.

Such a ridiculous charge. This country has a lot to learn about civility.

"This country has a lot to learn" more than suffices lol

This whole case is insane to begin with and should never have gone this far. However, Thai's like to get their message out loud and clear (to their own) and really don't care what anyone else in the rest of the world thinks, and the tourist numbers prove that whatever they do (pretty much), people will still keep on coming.

I just checked, possession of bulletproof vests without a license ARE actually illegal in most countries, to prevent criminals easy access to protection, however the laws covering this are mostly separate from gun control laws, whereas in Thailand they just decided to define it as a weapon to achieve the same result.

But on the other hand they should have looked away when this Journalist shows up with a vest, this should have never gone to court.

This is the bit to ponder.

You would figure that this law is a relic and needs amending. These jackets are outlawed for reasons to with encouraging urban militias, rightly or wrongly.

But the authorities had a choice to charge or not, correct? Surely, this is a case where you don't charge and make the amendments the necessary for credentialed reporters, yes? That is positive legislative assembly at work.

In Australia it's illegal to be in possession of a bulletproof vest too.

But I have seen Australian journalists wearing them. So, I guess they need a license OR the Australian authorities are not stupid and have exceptions for journalists in the field.

It is only illegal if you don't have a license or are not in a profession that has reason to wear them, like journalists and others who may be involved in various threats.

Why? ....Seems governments don't want people to be able to protect themselves. It's every mans human right to be able to protect themselves, especially the way the world is heading now, with governments failing to protect their citizens.

Edited by LuckyNo4

Amazing Thailand

Police Officer can carry guns = no problem

Journalists can carry protection against guns = problem

you could not make it up!

What's even more amazing is that foreigners will never be able to obtain a license for vest and helmet as we aren't allowed to obtain as protection as such are considered to be like guns, just because we are foreigner.