Assist Thai Visa Service, here to help.

AssistThaiVisa

I think it's pretty unlikely that the Immigration Bureau, as a government entity, has entered into any contract or agreement with any visa service firms in Chiang Mai to assist with or expedite their workload -- to use FolkGuitar's example above.

On the other hand, what kinds of arrangements individual officers or supervisors may have entered into to provide certain kind of specialized services, that would be an entirely different matter. And I hope folks here aren't trying to compare the two, because they're hardly the same kinds of arrangements.

"But it would be interesting, in the case of CM, to ask how exactly they're able to obtain pre-arranged Immigration appointment times for their customers when that facility is not, apparently, offered or available to the general public from that same Immigration office".

Why would I want to ask, I mean really and why would I care!

Your naivety John is quite stunning, if this were the Immigration office in Pensacola or Orlando that thought might cross my mind, here not.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would a visa agent make the job easier ? The officials are still doing the same process.

The agent becomes an extension of the Immigration Officer and does all the front end checking, all the officer has to do is to stamp a set of clean and complete applications and take photographs thus reducing the face to face time with the applicant from 45 minutes to under 5 minutes - there is almost zero checking done by the officer.

Not naive at all. I know the Thai way, and presumably what they're doing there.

The difference is, I don't condone it because it is a small example of a big problem in this country, whereas you apparently do.

It's not my job to be the guardian of Immigration Departments moral compass, neither is it my job to try and adjust it if it doesn't work the way I think it should - my job is to understand and live with the their customer facing processes.

So, when faced with a choice of getting my residency certificate for free in ten days time, OR paying 500 baht and getting it tomorrow, I choose 500 baht.

And when faced with getting up at 3 am, driving 30 kms., queuing, waiting, hoping, getting tired, getting upset, getting worried, etc. etc. OR, paying an agent metaphoric peanuts and spending 5 minutes at Immigration once a year, I choose peanuts.

A bit off topic but similar situation in the UK where the Post Office will check your UK Passport Application for a fee of £9.75(circa 500 baht).

Exactly, and most people are in favour of slimming down the size of government and passing these things over to the public sector anyway.

And under the previous system, that checking process reduced the efficiency of a single officer down to one appointment interview every 45 minutes, potentially that's less than ten visa's processed per day per officer! Now all that same officer has to do is stamp and issue, potentially one every five minutes or around 100 per day using the same measures AND it doesn't involve additional staffing or cost to Immigration. It's a no brainer that's win win, except to the extra 3 baht Chang crowd for which it is no change because the previous option still remains.

Immigration usually have an army of interns, surely they could put them to good use, having them check

everyones documents before they see an official. There should be no need to pay thousands of baht for a document checking service.

Immigration usually have an army of interns, surely they could put them to good use, having them check

everyones documents before they see an official. There should be no need to pay thousands of baht for a document checking service.

I suspect a combination of the long mooted "lack of space" issue combined with a "lack of abilities" makes that a non starter. And at least by using an agent it puts responsibility and onus for mistakes on a third party.

It's interesting that many posters who were adamantly against visa services, are now quite happy that they exist.

As immigration have made the alternative such a horrendous abomination hardly surprising is it!

The ending of online booking, queue ticket reduced to 20 etc have been designed to achieve exactly what it has done.

I believe that is exactly what the interns at the outside desk actually do in addition to providing info?

I suspect a combination of the long mooted "lack of space" issue combined with a "lack of abilities" makes that a non starter. And at least by using an agent it puts responsibility and onus for mistakes on a third party.

In fact, that is exactly what they used to do at the airport location. This was described here or in another thread on the subject.

It sure would be nice if I could arrange the docs myself as I always have, and only be coerced into a paying a lesser agent fee to jump the queue.

And no, it's not because I can't afford to be manipulated.

It's interesting that many posters who were adamantly against visa services, are now quite happy that they exist.

It's called going with the flow. Years ago there was no hardship in going to Immigration to extend a visa, now it's become so squeezed as to be almost untenable although it's still there if people want to use that process. Me, I have no problems changing my mind on this one, needs and circumstances change.

I believe that is exactly what the interns at the outside desk actually do in addition to providing info?

Except you don't get to that stage until after you've got up at 3 am, driven, queued, waited etc.

Nobody has to pay the agents if they don't want to. It is my choice to pay them as i don't want to have to go and sit around for long periods of time at the immigration office any more.

People make choices all the time to pay professionals to fix their car, clean their house, cook their food etc. I don't get the 'why pay for this' comments. If people feel like this, don't pay - do it yourself. If I started telling people, when they needed their car fixed or a washer changed on a tap, that 'you don't wanna do that', I'd be an annoying cretin. I think the people moaning about a company offering a service that enhances people's living experience here shouldn't criticize for the simple fact they offer these services.

I just saw the thread from the new sponsor, who has paid for space on this website, being criticized for posting a promotion. It's surreal the level of rsoleness from some people on this forum some times.

Edited by Loaded

How would a visa agent make the job easier ? The officials are still doing the same process.

Because the paper work is prescreened & verified and in order.....There's no hit and miss at the immigration office - no go back and get this - no go have copies made of this - no this is the wrong form go back and get the right one and fill it out then come back...Those are big time wasters for everyone → my guess absorbing as much as 35-40% of an immigration agents day.....

With paperwork in order and streamlined track record the agent can probably skim and approve/move 10-15 sets of paperwork via an agent in the time it would take to babysit one poorly organized applicant.....The job of the imm officer didn't change but the office efficiency did → even to the small time saving of waiting through the queue up and call up time lag....

Basically a win win for everyone....If you could process 30-45 sets of clean paperwork versus stuggle through 3-4 disorganized foreigners of many languages and attitudes what would you rather do??

We are an an English forum....There are what 150? different languages and 200+ different countries they also have to encounter/deal with.....Much better to have it sorted, prescreened, and correct from everybody's viewpoint....

Most of the folks that tied up the time at immigration when I made the visits were NOT first language English speakers....They ran the gamut from the quiet and respectful, to the docile that had to be led - to the loud and pushy @$$h*les.....I no longer wish to put up with that BS → and neither do the immigration people....

That's why - among many levels - using an agent like TVF can be a worthy benefit....

I find it interesting that other Immigration offices use smiley interns at the front desks to scan through your documents, copies etc and organizes the applicant so they are ready to be seen by the I/O. I can afford to hire an Agent but the process of retirement renewal in the past has been so easy. I'm glad that ATV is available though in case I desire to use their services.

People make choices all the time to pay professionals to fix their car, clean their house, cook their food etc. I don't get the 'why pay for this' comments. If people feel like this, don't pay - do it yourself. If I started telling people, when they needed their car fixed or a washer changed on a tap, that 'you don't wanna do that', I'd be an annoying cretin. I think the people moaning about a company offering a service that enhances people's living experience here shouldn't criticize for the simple fact they offer these services.

I just saw the thread from the new sponsor, who has paid for space on this website, being criticized for posting a promotion. It's surreal the level of rsoleness from some people on this forum some times.

Yes that is correct we are only offering a service for those that wish to use it. If people wish to not use a service that is their choice, we just try to do our best for our clients, and believe we offer good value for money.

Yes that is correct we are only offering a service for those that wish to use it. If people wish to not use a service that is their choice, we just try to do our best for our clients, and believe we offer good value for money.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Those of us who have used your company appreciate the good service we've received. Regardless of the changes in Immigration procedures, there will always be a need for well-established reliable companies such as yours. Some folks will 'need' it, some will only 'enjoy' it, and others will ignore it. That's the way it is with most business, right?

What is Assist Thai Visas opinion of G4 and their lower charges for doing the same job, retirement visas for instance?

Apparently they are not open today.... and we are not offering the same service as them. We are year round and always available. But if people wish to use another agent that is fine. We stand behind our service and think for what we offer it is a reasonable cost.

Thanks for an answer this time. smile.png

Possible you could be losing some competition whistling.gif

But for instance if I applied for my retirement visa with you as opposed to G4 (As they stood a couple of days ago) how would your service differ,would I would still end up with a retirement visa but simply pay more?

I went to the agent next door to immigration today at 9am and door was indeed closed, however a lady sitting at a table next to the office told me that the they were waiting for someone to bring the key and asked me what I wanted. I was there for a retirement extension, so she asked me to sit down, went through my documents in a couple of minutes and told me to come back at 2pm.

On my way back home I realized with slight paranoia that I had just voluntarily given my original passport, bankbook and original signature on blank paper (for photocopies) to a total stranger who did not even legitimize herself.

At 2pm the door was still closed, but (big relief) the lady was still there and led me straight to the officer who stamped my passport and took a picture. Cost retirement extension 4900 (visa 1900 - agent fee 3000).

I did use ATV twice previously and was satisfied with their services. For me, the distance to ATV office is about the same as to Promenada, and the lower cost was worth a try.

Obviously, like most I presume, I would rather do it myself if not needed to queue in the middle of the night and time wasted was acceptable (max 2 hours). The situation being what it is, I prefer to use an agent, and find it good that there is more than one around. Let everyone decide what suits them best.

There's absolutely no need to jump at each other's throat for such small issues.

Wow, lucky you. I wonder who owns GT4 visa service located right next door to immigration? They are very lucky to be able to have their office next to immigration in order to welcome the many expats that are unable to get queues.

Whoever it is, they must be very business savvy in order to have such a stellar location, can offer their services so quickly, and manage to be much cheaper than all of the other visa services.

I'm sure immigration would really like to re-instate their online queue to be able to accommodate more expats but they must have be unable to find a competent computer person to set it up for them. I'm sure it makes them very sad they have to turn so many expats away day after day, and those turned away have to seek out visa services just to get a queue.

What is Assist Thai Visas opinion of G4 and their lower charges for doing the same job, retirement visas for instance?

Apparently they are not open today.... and we are not offering the same service as them. We are year round and always available. But if people wish to use another agent that is fine. We stand behind our service and think for what we offer it is a reasonable cost.

But for instance if I applied for my retirement visa with you as opposed to G4 (As they stood a couple of days ago) how would your service differ,would I would still end up with a retirement visa but simply pay more?

I went to the agent next door to immigration today at 9am and door was indeed closed, however a lady sitting at a table next to the office told me that the they were waiting for someone to bring the key and asked me what I wanted. I was there for a retirement extension, so she asked me to sit down, went through my documents in a couple of minutes and told me to come back at 2pm.

On my way back home I realized with slight paranoia that I had just voluntarily given my original passport, bankbook and original signature on blank paper (for photocopies) to a total stranger who did not even legitimize herself.

At 2pm the door was still closed, but (big relief) the lady was still there and led me straight to the officer who stamped my passport and took a picture. Cost retirement extension 4900 (visa 1900 - agent fee 3000).

I did use ATV twice previously and was satisfied with their services. For me, the distance to ATV office is about the same as to Promenada, and the lower cost was worth a try.

Obviously, like most I presume, I would rather do it myself if not needed to queue in the middle of the night and time wasted was acceptable (max 2 hours). The situation being what it is, I prefer to use an agent, and find it good that there is more than one around. Let everyone decide what suits them best.

There's absolutely no need to jump at each other's throat for such small issues.

Wow, lucky you. I wonder who owns GT4 visa service located right next door to immigration? They are very lucky to be able to have their office next to immigration in order to welcome the many expats that are unable to get queues.

Whoever it is, they must be very business savvy in order to have such a stellar location, can offer their services so quickly, and manage to be much cheaper than all of the other visa services.

I'm sure immigration would really like to re-instate their online queue to be able to accommodate more expats but they must have be unable to find a competent computer person to set it up for them. I'm sure it makes them very sad they have to turn so many expats away day after day, and those turned away have to seek out visa services just to get a queue.

To be blunt who really cares here who owns GT4. If that is your complaint start another thread and don't waste are time.

If you are really interested in speeding things up stop and think about it. In a line up of 20 and you are #20 do you want 19 people ahead of you who may or may not have it right and if they are wrong every one waits for them to get it right. I have done it enough times to know it is not a rare thing. With two officers I once saw them tell everyone above #17 to come back after lunch.

Or would you rather have 19 ahead of you who have it right and the agent knows and trusts them so there is no added delay. You are out much faster. Why would you complain about them paying money when you don't because you don't want some one else to make money. Do you really enjoy the time in line and want to stretch it out?

I didn't want to pay money and I didn't want to wait in line so I paid the money 3,000 baht plus 1,900 for the immigration. It is only once a year and I now choose to not spend the time there. There was a time when I did up to 9 1/2 hours all told once.

Maybe next year. They will have another officer on the job with signing authority. That would certainly speed things up.

To be blunt who really cares here who owns GT4. If that is your complaint start another thread and don't waste are time.

If you are really interested in speeding things up stop and think about it. In a line up of 20 and you are #20 do you want 19 people ahead of you who may or may not have it right and if they are wrong every one waits for them to get it right. I have done it enough times to know it is not a rare thing. With two officers I once saw them tell everyone above #17 to come back after lunch.

Or would you rather have 19 ahead of you who have it right and the agent knows and trusts them so there is no added delay. You are out much faster. Why would you complain about them paying money when you don't because you don't want some one else to make money. Do you really enjoy the time in line and want to stretch it out?

I didn't want to pay money and I didn't want to wait in line so I paid the money 3,000 baht plus 1,900 for the immigration. It is only once a year and I now choose to not spend the time there. There was a time when I did up to 9 1/2 hours all told once.

Maybe next year. They will have another officer on the job with signing authority. That would certainly speed things up.

That was because you used GT4 the other are more money GT4 does a Good Job Cheaper who cares who owns it.

If ISI owned it I will use it

What made you think I was complaining? I'm not concerned what you do or don't do. I merely complemented both GT4 visa service and immigration.

That was because you used GT4 the other are more money GT4 does a Good Job Cheaper who cares who owns it.

If ISI owned it I will use it

Not sure what you are getting at. I don't care who owns it. If GT4 wasn't there I would use some one else. I was just trying to explain why time wise they can do more extensions. I would probably just have gone straight over to Assist Thai Visa service. The time is the important thing here for me.