BUPA - Thailand experiences

baneko

Ive just bought a 1yr Platinum Personal package. 43k baht. This only supplies in patient cover but looks OK with 5 million cover.

Does anyone have experience of bupa and their quality of service both through the call center and during treatment?

Thanks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the platinum package for me and my wife for years. Only had to use it once and there was no problem. The reason I like Bupa versus the others was the ability to just show the card and get care, without the hassle of reimbursement.

Now of course there are always those that say, waste of money, 'self insure' which is of course a euphemism for taking a gamble. All insurance is a waste of money until you actually need it.

Hospital care in Thailand is still relatively cheap, but have a serious illness costs can escalate fast.

I'm in the 'chicken shit' scared category, can afford the annual premium and Bupa offers me what has so far proven to be a worthwhile security blanket

Hardly a "waste" to get 5 mill cover for under 50K baht.

I've had BUPA for about 10 years, 3 claims in that period all piad directly to the hospital with no problem.

Usually problems arise whehe claim is during the first year of coverage, in which case they may suspect an undisclosed pre-existingcondition especially if it was something relatef to chronic disease like cancer, heart attack, stroke.

That said, with BUPA or any othet policy issued in Thailand there is the problem that they can legally cancel your policy at any time or up your premium above and beyond normal age telated increases. This isn't going to happen over a few claims but could if you develop a serious chronic condition likely to entail ongoing costs long term. Something to worry about especially if you are getting on in years and planning to live here for the duration. I'm looking now at international policies for that reason.

I'm thinking about BUPA also as that's what I have in Aus but where would u draw the line on self insuring?

In other words, for those living here, what net worth do you think enables voiding health insurance?

It's hard to know the answer to that question. But what also goes through my mind is this;

I am healthy now, could probably afford to pay for anything that did actually happen to me. But what happens in 10, 15, 20 years? I have no idea what my net worth might be then, and health insurance after 60 is not also a case of 'how much' but often a case of 'can I actually get insurance'.

Bupa, and I can only speak for them, guarantee you coverage for life if you are insured with them under 60 (I think, you might need to check the actual age, but it's in that ballpark).

So again is all dependent on your tolerance to risk and uncertainty, and your ability to predict what your circumstances will be maybe a couple of decades in the future.

Given my history of betting on stock market etc...I'm going for safety!

I was seriously injured and had BUPA through my employer. It took threats of litigation to get them to pay.

What was their problem with paying?

I still don't know - I was in the ICU and another employee (not my boss) visited me and told me BUPA had declined my health insurance and my company was fighting it. When I left I paid out of pocket. I was back at work for two months (about three after the injury) and my boss handed me an envelope with the exact amount from the hospital bills I had given them.

Edit: I think I remember now - sorry for the confusion - BUPA wanted a police report, which I eventually procured and provided to my employer, who sent it to BUPA.

BUPA used to have published rate charts for their various plans on their web site -- nor sure if they still do. Rates are based on age, so if you move into a new age bracket, the annual cost goes up accordingly. Other than for age, how they could change your premium when they publish the rates publicly for each plan?

In Thailand Bupha cannot one beat, the coverage is good, service is good and its useable worldwide except for the USA. and if you don't use it during the year the give you back 10% of your annual premium

The worst case scenario for all of us would be a heart bypass and you can get that done for a million,if you don't have insurance here and have to go the government "cheap Charlie" way your going to probably have problems. I know to many that have had problems with simple things such as an appendix operation and they screwed that up, twisted the bowel during surgery and had to go back in a second time. (memorial), another was sent to the New Pattaya hospital and was released 4 hours late3r saying we don't know whats wrong, she died of Sepis the next day.

GET YOURSELF INSURANCE!!!!!!

I use BUPA International (now renamed to Bupa Global) for my medical insurance policy. I got the highest level of insurance they offer and it costs about £420 per quarter which is £1680 / year. so that's around 92,000 Baht.

I've been using them since my mid 30's and I'm 43 now. I've never needed to use it but it's nice to know it's there.

The cover provided is :

Worldwide medical insurance : £1,700,000 = 93.5 Million Baht

Worldwide evacuation : £99,000,000 = 5.4 Billion Baht

The evacuation is for times when there's some disaster or you're nowhere near to a place which provides adequate treatment, they will send whatever is deemed necessary to get you somewhere safe for treatment. So we're talking about some kind of air evacuation, flying ambulance, etc.

Sheryl,

Yes, I've asked Thai insurers specifics regarding cancellation (not automatically annually renewable) and increasing premiums to compensate when large or potentially ongoing claims are made.

Their policies are not worth the paper they are written on in my opinion.

GinBoy2,

You are quite right; risk tolerance v's aversion.

I also have have made good and bad in the market. Nevertheless, if one has some wealth and can maintain it from say 40 to 55-60, one can pay irrespective of cost.

BUPA Thailand does not actually guarantee for life and will "up" premiums so it's a flawed and uncertain health coverage (pls correct me if you believe I'm wrong).

Sheryl is looking at international policies for this reason.

SussexExpat has first hand experience.

Wpcoe, fine print I think. Personally I haven't met anyone within the Thai health sector who truly knows all aspects of coverage, limitations, renewability, apart from the gibberish they've been taught to remember when representing their organisation or flogging their products as an agent.

I'll go for a top tier international policy.

This is the section from their policy documents regarding guaranteed renewal's. That not to say the premiums won't change but they won't deny you coverage:

Guarantee lifetime renewal You can renew your policy with us for lifelong if you apply your health insurance before 60 years old. It guarantees you that you will always be protected by Bupa even if you are at your old ages.

http://bupa.co.th/en/individuals/why_choose_bupa.aspx#.VkxYnd8rKu0

at 43k it's a waste, save it up at that rate

43k per year.....usual heart attack cost 300000-400000. Around 7-10yrs uninsured 300000-400000. No thanks. World cover. I'll pay.

How, in the name of God, do they arrive at that figure? Do you mean 30-40K?

A heart attack means 1) an injection of clot-busting drugs, 2) you either die or you don't and 3) you need to start exercising (walking about) as soon as possible.

It can't, on average, cost more than a broken leg, unless someone's at it.

43k per year.....usual heart attack cost 300000-400000. Around 7-10yrs uninsured 300000-400000. No thanks. World cover. I'll pay.

A heart attack means 1) an injection of clot-busting drugs, 2) you either die or you don't and 3) you need to start exercising (walking about) as soon as possible.

Actually it often means:

Prolonged ICU stay

Stent placement or bypass surgery

And depending on how long in ICU and how many stents or vessels bypassed, easily tops 500,000 in a private hospital. A single stent alone without ICU etc (i.e. done before an actual heart attack as is preferrable) 300,000 +.

As to how much money you need to have put away to self insure, not less than 5 million baht, more if you don't have any fall back options for what you would do if you developed a costly chronic illness. A big problem with self insuring is that once you spend the money, it's gone. Whereas with insurance the limits are either pet event or per year and it doesn't exhaust.

Beware if you have to make a claim.

Two years after I started my BUPA cover I had gastric problems investigated at Bumrungrad hospital. Total bill was 35K, which BUPA paid in full with no problems.

When it came to renewing my insurance the next year my premium increased by 30%.

I suspect you had moved up an age bracket. With BUPA it is at 5 year intervals and 30% jump plausible.

They would not increase your premium because of what you describe...I had similiar done and paid by BUPA and premium didn't budge. But it had gone up by a third a year prior (when I had no claim) because I moved into a new 5 year bracket.

However should you develop a serious chronic disease that requires ongoing expensive care, the terms of the policy give them the right to up your premium or even cancel your policy.

I beleive he had to have a stent fitted in two places. Its a minor op. 3 days in hospital. CM.

I also have the Platinum package - and my experience is that they will only pay after a lengthy argument and then they add exclusions to the renewal to make sure you can not claim in future if the same problem occurs again.

I understand that health insurance policies do not normally cover pre-existing issues before you joint the scheme - but adding new exclusions for a renewal after I'd only made one claim during 7 years of cover is just poor service.

Actively looking for an alternative for myself, my family and all the team members in my organization - would appreciate any recommendations for an alternative.

I also have the Platinum package - and my experience is that they will only pay after a lengthy argument and then they add exclusions to the renewal to make sure you can not claim in future if the same problem occurs again.

I understand that health insurance policies do not normally cover pre-existing issues before you joint the scheme - but adding new exclusions for a renewal after I'd only made one claim during 7 years of cover is just poor service.

Actively looking for an alternative for myself, my family and all the team members in my organization - would appreciate any recommendations for an alternative.

I have a medical examination every 2 yrs due to my occupation. Signed by a BKK doctor for UKOG. That will show no pre existing problems and general health.

I have a medical examination every 2 yrs due to my occupation. Signed by a BKK doctor for UKOG. That will show no pre existing problems and general health.

Yes - but the problem may occur if your medical exam shows a new problem and then BUPA add this to the exclusions for your next renewal. That was my issue.

No experience, but did a lot of research in Canada last summer shopping for International coverage.

Bupa was recommended as their rates will be fixed over the course of my lifetime. 61 now, and the quote was $9000 Cdn and change per year so 225,000 baht.

Worldwide coverage, 10 million if memory serves.

43K is very high for only 12 months cover, I think you got pinched there.

I had Bupa 12 month personal cover and it cost me 4500 baht, I threw my back out moving some drainage pipes around the back yard, I went to the international hospital, had xrays, Ct scan, cortisone injection in my back and a prescription for two weeks of pain killers and anti inflamatories. all payed for by Bupa no problems, also, I didn't want the pain killers or anti inflamatories and threw the script in the bin, Bupa called me three days later and asked why I didn't collect the meds and that I should go to collect them.

I have Bupa In Australia now and my wife has had two major operations, no cost to me, glasses, dental, physio, no cost - $3300.00 for my wife and I, per year and is tax deductable, that is cheaper that what you are paying for one person in Thailand.

Archived