Buying A Beer Bar In Girlfriends Name.

I'm in the process of buying a beer bar in my girlfriends name and want to know if there is anyway to protect my investment. Someone has told me about a document me and the girlfriend can sign in the presense of a lawyer that will give me full control of the bar even though its in my girlfriends name. Has anyone else heard of such a document and if one does exist could you please explain it to me.

I'm in the process of buying a beer bar in my girlfriends name and want to know if there is anyway to protect my investment. Someone has told me about a document me and the girlfriend can sign in the presense of a lawyer that will give me full control of the bar even though its in my girlfriends name. Has anyone else heard of such a document and if one does exist could you please explain it to me.

As she is only your girlfriend you may set up a loan agreement with her. However as it is presumably only a lease, not a purchase, it may be difficult to enforce. A local lawyer will advise further. Or perhaps sunbelt has some experience?

It always fascinates me how someone invests in a generally greyzone business at best, and hopes to be protected by the law. That, and the idea not to lose money in a venture such as a beer bar.

The only foreigners i know who actually are successful with a beer bar, are the ones who bought it not to make money, but to keep their girlfriends/wifes busy, and don't mind paying for the almost inevitable losses.

Good luck. You will need it.

It always fascinates me how someone invests in a generally greyzone business at best, and hopes to be protected by the law. That, and the idea not to lose money in a venture such as a beer bar.

The only foreigners i know who actually are successful with a beer bar, are the ones who bought it not to make money, but to keep their girlfriends/wifes busy, and don't mind paying for the almost inevitable losses.

Good luck. You will need it.

Not much more can be added to that... A spot on reply

Other than the obvious way of not investing in beer bars..............ummmmmm...............no

ColPyat's advice is all that you should need.

oh yea, one other thing...........deep pockets.

Good Luck

Why don't you just give her the money for the purchase price of the bar. I am sure both you and her would be a lot happier!!! This is not an investment, just figure out how many bar fines the bar cost and how many times your going to do your girl friend for free to figure out if it is worth it.

I'm in the process of buying a beer bar in my girlfriends name and want to know if there is anyway to protect my investment.

Chastity belts were used in Europe in the past, but they may not be suitable for the Thai climate.

Yeh....there will be another posting in 6 months blaming all Thai woman of being liers and cheats when she shafts him for another guy and sits on the asset.

If your so stupid to blow ur cash like this, give it to me, I will keep half and give u the other half back in 6 months. Sounds like a better deal.

:o

As she is only your girlfriend you may set up a loan agreement with her. However as it is presumably only a lease, not a purchase, it may be difficult to enforce. A local lawyer will advise further. Or perhaps sunbelt has some experience?

He sent us a private message, he was advise to get a power of attorney from her on the bar, but as we pointed out: Good luck in enforcing it because of the Foreign Business Act

Section 36. Any Thai national or juristic person that is not a foreigner under this Act, aiding or abetting or taking part in the business operation of the foreigners whose business falls under the Lists attached hereto and the foreigners are not permitted to operate the business or taking part in the business operation of the foreigner by showing that he or it is the sole owner of the business or holding shares on behalf of the foreigners in any partnership or limited company or juristic person in order for the foreigners to operate the business in avoidance of or violation to the provisions of this Act, including the foreigners allowing Thai nationals or juristic persons that are not foreigners under this Act to do so, shall be punished with an imprisonment of not exceeding three years or a fine from 100,000 Baht to 1,000,000 Baht or both, and the Court shall order a stoppage of the aiding or abetting or order a stoppage of the joint business operation or order a stoppage of share holding or a cessation of the partnership as the case may be. Violators of the Court's order shall be subject to a punishment with a fine of 10,000 Baht to 50,000 Baht per day throughout the period of violation.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I bought my Thai wife a salsa bar in BKK because I wanted to sit in my own bar now and then and listen to some nice Cuban rhythmes!

I never really expected it to make money, but it does......

But it's all in her name. That's really the simplest way - if you trust your wife/GF 110% :o

Simon

Not quite true, the guys who make money in bars are the ones who trade in bars to stupid falangs in Thailand on their first or second trip. :D

Still lets not get to carried away, we have all probably been there at one stage even if it was just a brief ponder of the idea. :o

Edited by Chris.B

I think many of you are being rather unfair to the OP.

some beer bars DO work.

Dave Thailand

Farang Connection,

Simon's also makes money as he stated.

However, its more than likely that a greater percentage fail than succeed but you have to give the OP the reasons why, not just make bland comments "Another Lamb to the slaughter" etc.....

He's only asking advice

I am sure Sunbelt can give the OP acurate figures of what the sucess rate of Beer Bars is?

IMHO he would be better off buying her a small shop or a market stall a lot less hassle and would give her something to do

... want to know if there is anyway to protect my investment ...

The one and only way to protect your investment would require you to be there on a daily basis. Your GF probably has many friends and she'll really enjoy the popularity she gets by handing out freebees at your expense.

If you're not going to be there on a daily basis - go for ThaiPauly's advice --- just about any other small service-business would be a better option than a beerbar...

some beer bars DO work.

Dave Thailand

Farang Connection,

However, its more than likely that a greater percentage fail than succeed but you have to give the OP the reasons why, not just make bland comments "Another Lamb to the slaughter" etc.....

He's only asking advice

I am sure Sunbelt can give the OP acurate figures of what the sucess rate of Beer Bars is?

IMHO he would be better off buying her a small shop or a market stall a lot less hassle and would give her something to do

Neither Farang Connection or Blues Factory are beer bars!!! :o

some beer bars DO work.

Dave Thailand

Farang Connection,

He's only asking advice

Well I never :D

I see old Lampy's advert on the forum and there is certainly a lot of beer in his ads :D

My apologies , I suppose the word "Beer Bar" equates to "Girlie Bar" ?

Why don't you consider getting her respectable normal business that will actually make money instead of almost a guaranteed loss? I was involved in gogo club business with certain people and we caught staff stealing constantly. Got the money back under threat of criminal charges by police, fired them, of course. More importantly, the bars are not most profitable business in Thailand. In Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket you only make some money during high season, assuming your bargirls are very attractive and know how to work the farang customers. You take loss off-season, that's about 9 months every year. I got my girlfriend normal respectable business, and she's making good money there, she's happy. Other posts apparently advise against beer bar as well.

some beer bars DO work.

Dave Thailand

Farang Connection,

He's only asking advice

Well I never :D

I see old Lampy's advert on the forum and there is certainly a lot of beer in his ads :D

My apologies , I suppose the word "Beer Bar" equates to "Girlie Bar" ?

Blues Factory is'nt a girlie bar. :D

some beer bars DO work.

Dave Thailand

Farang Connection,

He's only asking advice

And at least one of those has a different location..... you can't compare buying a beer bar in 'pick the koh of your choice' with opening a restaurant in Surin.

It isn't quite the same thing.

Good fish today Lampy.... thoroughly enjoyable, the wife liked it too.... good job I ordered a large portion (last comment was just to get back to the gutter level..... oh how i dream of reaching the gutter level.... it's wild, it's unobtainable for me..... thankfully :D:D )

Having lived in Phuket, knowing bar "owners" and watching that scene for 2 years, my poinion is to not even think about thinking of going into the bar game. Girlfriends name or not, it will be far more expensive than you first realised. Wages to be paid. Rent to be paid. Water to be paid. Electricity to be paid. Room for your girls to sleep to be paid. Angry customer? Police to be paid. The only successful beer bar owners I knew were rich guys who had enough money not to give a crap if the bar made money or not. Good luck anyway mate.