Buying A Beer Bar In Girlfriends Name.

Well, lesh seems you are quite fascinated with all (exept a few) these really nice comments, some know it all right up front!

Not mentioning the really informative hint's, nop' you made 'em laugh their guts off... did you get their subtle message?

It will

a.) NEVER be possible to anyhow "protect" the money you put in any Business of this kind.

b.) it may keep emptying your bank account whilst trying to 'save your investment'!

c.) You will only with a giant heep of luck and goodwill of your 'Friend' ever see a Baht or 2!

d.) as sunbelt has put this excerpt of legislation in this thread - it's straight ILLEGAL - even for HER to draw up ANy kind of Contract involving a Foreigner in such business. Seen the fines?

If you are highly adventerous, do it, try it, learn more, get smart... it's entirely up to you!

I personally know of a few who made it, but NOT in the "Bar Beer" Business... some did as well some of them are dead today.

But MOST NEVER EVER made anything, except paying the ever incoming bills..

and wait until the day your 'friend' gets frustrated because she can't make it....!!!!!!!

You may never have believed what demonical powers have been sleeping inside her inner depths.

My advice is: either RUN or have some enjoyable days with her draeming about this beautiful enterprise and THEN RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And just to add further comment re 'my' bar in BKK:

Although I paid for this bar...

There is no contract with my name on it, or 'protection of my investment'

It makes money because it is managed by my very trustworthy sister-in-law, who takes care of the 'hassles' with the landlord, police, suppliers, customers etc

Although it makes money, I am not going to retire on the profits

It has a nice pool table if you fancy a game....

Simon

Forgot, there is something else!

Don't look at it as "Investment", look at it as "Direct Development Aid" if you 'loose' it all, it will even make you feel good!

Instead of being a looser in your neigbourhood, you be a hero!

How is that?

And... absolutely NOTHING to worry!

But then, in every aircraft touching down on thai soil, there are new potential 'investors'!

I know of one specific benefactor of such investments, she made it by now!

For her various "Business partners" and 'investors' she's got several Phonenumbers, not to confuse them.

Her entrepreneurial skills are mindboggeling! She managed to sell one Object, to several 'Investors', several times, without the 'investors' knowing that they have potential investment partners.

And if you have any interest to invest as well, I can pass on her phonenumber!

But hurry, she has a very tight schedule!

Edited by Samuian

Her's my opinion...

I think that under "normal" circumstances a well managed bar would probably really make good cash, but the problem will be that nothing is normal... :o

You will need reliable business partners (thai persons) with a high level of influence who take care about the biggest problem, which will be the police and probably some pissed competitors owning bars around yours that don't run that well.

The next problem will be the stuff: If you need 5 working, better employ 10! Some will come but not work correctly. Some will call you late to tell you that they can not come - the reason doesn't really matter as it is mostly a lie anyway. Finally you will have some that just don't come anymore without any notice. If you found some good workers, they will leave and work in another place or go back to their families or whatever else... even paying them well won't change the situation. Last but not least you have to consider, that your employees will steal your money, whisky, or whatever else they might be in the mood. This of course doesn't mean that at the end of the day your till is empty, but instead of e.g. 25000 Baht there might be only 23800 Baht. Hard to proove....

Honestly, I think the staff problem is not really that big. You just have to consider a certain percentage of the income to be "lost". Still you can earn good money, if you can control the police and the competitors. So the way to go is to find strong thai partners, ant exactly this will be the killer criteria for most of us :D

Just my 2 cents...

Rossi