Best 4G SmartPhone

bartpix

I have used Samsung mobile phones for a few years and have had nothing but problems with them! I then changed to a Lenovo mobile phone that seemed to do everything apart from make a phone call.....

I then switched to HUAWEI a year ago.A superb phone with a fabulous camera and looks nice too.I bought the Huawei Ascend G6 ( SIM FREE ) in Thailand for 5,000 baht.

I must admit i don't let mobile phones rule my life like most people.But i seriously ( i can be serious sometimes....) think that Huawei are as good as Apple or Samsung if not better!

F.J thumbsup.gif x

I've bought the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 more than a year ago and am very satisfied with it. Not cheap, but half the price of the iPhone top models. Just look at the profits Apple generates with their phone sales, it's incredible. Astonishing, that still most of the buyers think they get fair value for the price.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Chinese ulefone be pro, it is a excellent phone and at 5000 baht a excellent price too.

I will stick to buying a cheaper phone than the high end phones and replace with new when needed.

The Chinese phones such as One Plus, Xiaomi, Lenovo, ect are good but they lack the polish of the high end Samsungs, LG's and especially Apple.

I've owned several Lenovo's and a few others and while they generally do the job, there seems a constant presence of little problems, especially with underlying Chinese apps that seem to appear out of nowhere and defy attempts to get rid of them. Poorly translated messages and warnings leave the user scratching their heads wondering what they mean and finding the source of unwanted notifications can be a challenge. Lenovo's seem to get a lot of unwanted apps constantly trying to install themselves.

It really can take a while to figure one of these phones out...if ever.

Often too, specs aren't what they say, especially regarding battery power and camera resolution. GPS in many MediaTec processors is very poor although it has recently improved according to press reports. I have also had dual SIM and WiFi problems with Lenovo's.

Though not an Apple fan, I can understand why people pay big bucks for I-phones. They are seamless, slick and do what you want done with little fuss and bother. Take one out of the box and in five minutes you know almost everything you need to know to make use of it.

Though Samsung's share the Android complexity of the Chinese phones, they too are slick, very appealing devices. Their displays are the best around and performance is always near the top. A friend has the new Note-5 and it is truly a beautiful piece of hardware and I fully understand those who can afford it, buying it.

The new Xiaomi's, One Plus's, Jiayu's ect. may come close in certain areas and hit the high Antutu benchmark scores but none that I have yet seen has the full package like the Samsung Note-5 or Galaxy S6.

All that said; I will happily spend $200 for a phone that does what I need with maybe a few hiccups rather than $600++ for transitory perfection.

Well said....I have the S6 edge+, and it truly is top notch, but i still think i will go for the iPhone6S+ when its fully available in LoS. Maybe it is now, but i will wait for it to come down a little in price.

By the way, i got nearly 5,000 bahts worth of freebies with the Samsung, wireless fast-charger, a nice cover-case, screen saver, even a neck pillow...555.

Edited by Ghostnigel

Check out the new Samsung Galaxy J7 and J5. Most of the bells and whistles of the top models at a cost under $300.

I just got a J5 with screen protector and case for 7000 baht.

Or (if you can afford real quality) the S6....the J5 and 7 is just a 'poor man's' S6, for those who dream of having a top smart phone, but cannot afford it, or are too tight to buy one...haha, sorry, only kidding....true though.

The Chinese phones such as One Plus, Xiaomi, Lenovo, ect are good but they lack the polish of the high end Samsungs, LG's and especially Apple.

I've owned several Lenovo's and a few others and while they generally do the job, there seems a constant presence of little problems, especially with underlying Chinese apps that seem to appear out of nowhere and defy attempts to get rid of them. Poorly translated messages and warnings leave the user scratching their heads wondering what they mean and finding the source of unwanted notifications can be a challenge. Lenovo's seem to get a lot of unwanted apps constantly trying to install themselves.

Often too, specs aren't what they say, especially regarding battery power and camera resolution. GPS in many MediaTec processors is very poor although it has recently improved according to press reports. I have also had dual SIM and WiFi problems with Lenovo's.

Though not an Apple fan, I can understand why people pay big bucks for I-phones. They are seamless, slick and do what you want done with little fuss and bother. Take one out of the box and in five minutes you know almost everything you need to know to make use of it.

Though Samsung's share the Android complexity of the Chinese phones, they too are slick, very appealing devices. Their displays are the best around and performance is always near the top. A friend has the new Note-5 and it is truly a beautiful piece of hardware and I fully understand those who can afford it, buying it.

The new Xiaomi's, One Plus's, Jiayu's ect. may come close in certain areas and hit the high Antutu benchmark scores but none that I have yet seen has the full package like the Samsung Note-5 or Galaxy S6.

All that said; I will happily spend $200 for a phone that does what I need with maybe a few hiccups rather than $600++ for transitory perfection.

Well said....I have the S6 edge+, and it truly is top notch, but i still think i will go for the iPhone6S+ when its fully available in LoS. Maybe it is now, but i will wait for it to come down a little in price.

By the way, i got nearly 5,000 bahts worth of freebies with the Samsung, wireless fast-charger, a nice cover-case, screen saver, even a neck pillow...555.

Free,, get real, they just cut their vast profit margin. You still paid for it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Free,, get real, they just cut their vast profit margin. You still paid for it.

You know what i mean, you are just being pedantic...we all know you don't get anything for nothing.

I called it freebies, because it was something for no EXTRA cost, ok?

Please tell me what else i could have called it?? you people, got nothing else to do today? Jeez!

Can anyone recommend the iphone 4 or 4s?, for basic phone use, SMS, using 3 or 4 apps, maps, and internet browsing. Not too bothered about phone camera pixels.

I'm still using my iPhone 4 that I bought in 2010, so it's served me well. However, it's getting slower and slower as apps are getting more and more bloated, to the point that it is driving me nuts and I'm about to get a new phone. Perhaps I should try reflashing it and reloading everything, but I think 5+ years is a very useful life for a phone, and Apple sure doesn't owe me anything. I'm also looking forward to a lot more oomph and new features - in particular, a fingerprint scanner so I don't have to enter an unlock code every time I want to use my phone, waterproof, better camera etc.

Anyway, if you can get a 4 or 4s for almost free and are a very minimal user, perhaps it's worth while (they are well built). But if it's gonna cost you more than a $100 (or 3000 baht for the gentleman complaining about the US$ pre-eminence above), I'd look elsewhere. I'm not very familiar with the lower end of the market (I believe in buying reasonably decent and hanging on to it as long as possible - my primary goal is to minimize my personal irritation, not save money), but I'd be surprised if there aren't some good buys to be had for $200 and less.

Can anyone recommend the iphone 4 or 4s?, for basic phone use, SMS, using 3 or 4 apps, maps, and internet browsing. Not too bothered about phone camera pixels.

I'm still using my iPhone 4 that I bought in 2010, so it's served me well. However, it's getting slower and slower as apps are getting more and more bloated, to the point that it is driving me nuts and I'm about to get a new phone. Perhaps I should try reflashing it and reloading everything, but I think 5+ years is a very useful life for a phone, and Apple sure doesn't owe me anything. I'm also looking forward to a lot more oomph and new features - in particular, a fingerprint scanner so I don't have to enter an unlock code every time I want to use my phone, waterproof, better camera etc.

Anyway, if you can get a 4 or 4s for almost free and are a very minimal user, perhaps it's worth while (they are well built). But if it's gonna cost you more than a $100 (or 3000 baht for the gentleman complaining about the US$ pre-eminence above), I'd look elsewhere. I'm not very familiar with the lower end of the market (I believe in buying reasonably decent and hanging on to it as long as possible - my primary goal is to minimize my personal irritation, not save money), but I'd be surprised if there aren't some good buys to be had for $200 and less.

Debating whether to buy a known brand (e.g. Apple) but not the latest, because the latest will be 'overkill', and I don't see the point in paying for Apple's marketing costs of their new iphone X. Also, I cannot afford a top of the range latest phone.

The other option is to go for a mid-range to top range lesser known brand..some suggestion on here, Motorola, Asus zenphone, Huawei Ascend G6, IQ II phone etc.

I am really looking for a phone that offers value for money more than anything. Without all the bells and whistles.

I'm just about to finally replace my 5 ish year old i9000. & was thinking the zenphone 2 with 4gb ram and quad core processor, at around 299 us looks a deal. Thoughts anyone?

The Zenphone-2 is a great piece of hardware. The problem is, Asus insists on stuffing it with their propitiatory "ZenUI" and all manner of bloatware, most of which you'll never use and each update brings even more. These unwanted apps are difficult to remove, even for a person fairly experienced with "rooting" phones. For it's 5.5" screen size, it is somewhat bulkier than some competing 5.5" models.

A friend who owned one found he had to use a flip case that covered the screen as he was frequently sending "pocket" calls...usually to the last called number.

A lot of people love the Z-2 but unless you play a lot of heavy duty games or like to keep multiple apps running at the same time, do you really need 4gb RAM? There are more than a few excellent phones now in this price range. The newest iteration of the Motorola Moto-G looks pretty good.

Should have just put it in stand by.

I'm just about to finally replace my 5 ish year old i9000. & was thinking the zenphone 2 with 4gb ram and quad core processor, at around 299 us looks a deal. Thoughts anyone?

The Zenphone-2 is a great piece of hardware. The problem is, Asus insists on stuffing it with their propitiatory "ZenUI" and all manner of bloatware, most of which you'll never use and each update brings even more. These unwanted apps are difficult to remove, even for a person fairly experienced with "rooting" phones. For it's 5.5" screen size, it is somewhat bulkier than some competing 5.5" models.

A friend who owned one found he had to use a flip case that covered the screen as he was frequently sending "pocket" calls...usually to the last called number.

A lot of people love the Z-2 but unless you play a lot of heavy duty games or like to keep multiple apps running at the same time, do you really need 4gb RAM? There are more than a few excellent phones now in this price range. The newest iteration of the Motorola Moto-G looks pretty good.

Thanks don't know if theres anytruth in it but Got told that Motorola were stopping making phones and it would make service difficult to come by.

Motorola is now wholly owned by Lenovo. They market Motorola's in the west and Lenovo's in Asia and Eastern Europe.

Lenovo took a beating in the smartphone biz the last few quarters. The biggest slice of their business is China and upstart brands like Xiaomi and OnePlus cut deeply into their market share. Their next big push is India...

Motorola has a problem in the US because even though it is an excellent value, it is not a "status" phone. Carrier subsidies make I-Phones and top Samsungs relatively cheap to acquire: $200 with a 2 year contract so the majority go with those premium brands with Motorola and the other mid-range brands scratching for less than 30% of the market.

Check out the new Samsung Galaxy J7 and J5. Most of the bells and whistles of the top models at a cost under $300.

Or (if you can afford real quality) the S6....the J5 and 7 is just a 'poor man's' S6, for those who dream of having a top smart phone, but cannot afford it, or are too tight to buy one...haha, sorry, only kidding....true though.

I'm assuming the S6 market price here typically exceeds 20,000, whereas the J7 is usually under 9000 and the J5 under 8000.

So to me, the first question is, does the S6 do so much more for me as a phone, for the things I do with my phone, that warrants spending an extra 12,000 or more than double the price. For me, the answer is no.

The second question is, if I choose the J7 as the lower priced smartphone, is it going to meet my needs for what I want from a smartphone -- today, and for the foreseeable future. The answer to that is yes.

Then the last question is, given that, do I have other/different things I can spend the 12,000 baht I saved on to make my life more enjoyable compared to if I only bought the S6. For me, the answer to that is yes.

That's why I'd buy a J7 instead of an S6 or anything else similar in the current market of smartphones costing double or more the price.

But that's also why I wouldn't and didn't buy a J5, because it had lesser features (mainly only 8 GB of internal storage vs 16 GB in the J7) that weren't going to fully meet my needs moving forward.

However, both of those J models DO have removable/replaceable batteries and SD card slots, which are features I like and ones increasingly not found on a lot of the higher end smartphones, including on the S6 and the S6 Edge.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The other option is to go for a mid-range to top range lesser known brand..some suggestion on here, Motorola, Asus zenphone, Huawei Ascend G6, IQ II phone etc.

I am really looking for a phone that offers value for money more than anything. Without all the bells and whistles.

Just saw an interesting series of reviews for the sub-$100 phone category: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgLZvFga2ml5iOptffI_QW60XA0_FSe5k. Only deals with US-sold LTE phones, so may be missing out on some good buys from the Asian markets, but a decent start for those looking for the cheapest sufficient phone.

I'm assuming the S6 market price here typically exceeds 20,000, whereas the J7 is usually under 9000 and the J5 under 8000.

So to me, the first question is, does the S6 do so much more for me as a phone, for the things I do with my phone, that warrants spending an extra 12,000 or more than double the price. For me, the answer is no.

The second question is, if I choose the J7 as the lower priced smartphone, is it going to meet my needs for what I want from a smartphone -- today, and for the foreseeable future. The answer to that is yes.

Then the last question is, given that, do I have other/different things I can spend the 12,000 baht I saved on to make my life more enjoyable compared to if I only bought the S6. For me, the answer to that is yes.

That's why I'd buy a J7 instead of an S6 or anything else similar in the current market of smartphones costing double or more the price.

But that's also why I wouldn't and didn't buy a J5, because it had lesser features (mainly only 8 GB of internal storage vs 16 GB in the J7) that weren't going to fully meet my needs moving forward.

However, both of those J models DO have removable/replaceable batteries and SD card slots, which are features I like and ones increasingly not found on a lot of the higher end smartphones, including on the S6 and the S6 Edge.

Totally agree with you, but I chose the J5 because the J7 is just too large to carry in my pocket. It came with a free 32GB SD card solving the storage issue. They also threw in a screen protector and silicone case. After a bit of negotiating, the total price was 6,990 baht. I couldn't refuse.

Considering this is the first phone I have bought since my 9 year old Motorola flip phone, there are more than enough features to keep me satisfied.

The J5 and J7 models, AFAICT, are very similar -- the higher one with a bit larger display (though same resolution) and the larger internal storage. I didn't want the smaller internal storage, but that was just for my needs and use. Either way, they both strike me as good value, good quality, good performance phones.

Both have LTE capability, SD card slots, removable batteries and Android 5.1 Lollipop, among other shared features.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So, what you are saying is you can't afford an S6....so you buy a cheaper one, but still wish you could have an S6...5555

That's ok, but just don't 'knock' people who have an S6, and say we are paying too much.

Ignoring that its hugely overpriced and That its now the go to phone for pc iliterate, no comparisons .

You are just sounding very jealous mate....you can't afford one, thats ok.

But why, oh why are you having a go at people who CAN afford one? You are sounding pretty pathetic, its like saying "look at that tw#t in his Ferrari, thats not a real car!" While driving a Honda City....please explain why people are pc illiterate with an S6? I have an iPad, iMac, and a spare iPhone5....but according to you, i don't know how to use them....maybe you can teach me on your 5,000 baht phone? Tooroot

The topic is about Best 4G SmartPhone, some of the phones mentioned are not 4G, the ulefone I mentioned is, are the Samsung's and I phones 4G?.

Yes, the S6 is 4G...dunno about 'cheapo' models though, best ask Rijit, he's got one.

Also the iphone 5 and 6's are 4G.

The iPhone 6 cost 25,000 baht, while the J7 cost 8,900 baht. Which would YOU choose?

The one which Just Works, and which is far easier to secure - e.g., the iPhone.

I can always make more money. I can't make more time.

Thank you, someone who can see sense.....agreed.

But i seriously ( i can be serious sometimes....) think that Huawei are as good as Apple or Samsung if not better!

What was you comparison to an iPhone based on?
It certainly wasn't based on 'hands on' usage...he has never seen an S6 in action, the camera is perfection, no way can that chinese thing outdo an S6...all i can say is, that when they say cheap phones are just as good as high end models, they must have never tried one....and that their cheapo phone only meets THEIR expectations of a quality smartphone, because they don't want to pay for a top phone.

So they brainwash themselves into thinking they have the best (that they can afford only).

I just recently bought a Samsung Galaxy J7 after comparing it on-line with the iPhone 6. It beat the

Apple phone on almost every feature you can name. The iPhone 6 cost 25,000 baht, while the J7 cost 8,900 baht. Which would YOU choose?

I bought one of those last week. It was 6900 including a free 32 GB microSD card, so total storage 48GB.

I'm happy with it - my wife has the iPhone 6. It's a bit of a stretch saying it beats the iPhone 6 on "almost every feature". They certainly copied the shape though. It's nearly identical to the iPhone 6 plus in shape, size and width, but heavier. You could call it the poor man's iPhone 6 plus.biggrin.png

Ignoring that its hugely overpriced and That its now the go to phone for pc iliterate, no comparisons .

But why, oh why are you having a go at people who CAN afford one? You are sounding pretty pathetic, its like saying "look at that tw#t in his Ferrari, thats not a real car!" While driving a Honda City....please explain why people are pc illiterate with an S6? I have an iPad, iMac, and a spare iPhone5....but according to you, i don't know how to use them....maybe you can teach me on your 5,000 baht phone? Tooroot

Apple Bit like REAL CARS:D I can afford one just choose not to have them. And as opposed to buying into apple marketing ie the tool of the sophisticate, i see them as i do REAL CARS completly the reverse a sign of a knuckle dragging unsophisticated red neck moron who feels the need to let the world know 'he has' probably to reinforce a fragile self estimate or maybe other personal worries like having a small dick. But there we go. Oh and I've had this phone since it came out.

Edited by rijit

I have a Samsung S5 as work mobile phone.

I wanted a new smartphone for my private use (I have a S3). I looked @ the S6. Two important features, at least for me, were missing: replaceable battery and memory card slot.

I managed to buy a brand new S5 @ Euro 365.00

BTW, the S5 is a 4G phone

PS: beware Samsung is launching a " new" S5 (the S5 Neo) with lower specs

The topic is about Best 4G SmartPhone, some of the phones mentioned are not 4G, the ulefone I mentioned is, are the Samsung's and I phones 4G?.

Yes, the S6 is 4G...dunno about 'cheapo' models though, best ask Rijit, he's got one.
Also the iphone 5 and 6's are 4G.

Apple Bit like REAL CARS:D I can afford one just choose not to have them. And as opposed to buying into apple marketing ie the tool of the sophisticate, i see them as i do REAL CARS completly the reverse a sign of a knuckle dragging unsophisticated red neck moron who feels the need to let the world know 'he has' probably to reinforce a fragile self estimate or maybe other personal worries like having a small dick. But there we go. Oh and I've had this phone since it came out.

hahaha, you just described yourself mate

No you can't afford one, if you could afford one you would be using one. Maybe even use auto correct, so i can understand the sh#t you are talking about. Oh, and i've had mine since it came out...2months ago..hahaha, then onto a iphone 6S+...now thats a phone, but you will never know that, because you are too tight to buy one...

No you can't afford one, if you could afford one you would be using one. Maybe even use auto correct, so i can understand the sh#t you are talking about. Oh, and i've had mine since it came out...2months ago..hahaha, then onto a iphone 6S+...now thats a phone, but you will never know that, because you are too tight to buy one...

Talk about an ego!! Get it into your thick head I won't buy apple cos its over priced it relies on idiots buying the marketing they offer their machines Offer nothing that anyone can't buy for a fraction of the cost.

A huge part of apples appeal is based on wan--k-s buying into hype.

But you carry on. It seems to suit you.

Edited by rijit

Talk about an ego!! Get it into your thick head I won't buy apple cos its over priced it relies on idiots buying the marketing they offer their machines nothing that anyone can't buy for a fraction of the cost.

A huge part of apples appeal is based on wan--k-s buying into hype.

But you carry on. It seems to suit you.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

Thanks mate....but i think you have a problem with someone owning an expensive phone...your words just ooze envy and jealousy. How can you possibly think that everyone with a iphone or S6 is how you describe? I can only assume you want one, but cannot afford one, so you make yourself feel better by calling us names...well done my friend, you have excelled yourself....i'll let you have mine when i finish with it, make you feel like a man again...

Sent from my Samsung S6 Edge+ using it without verbal abuse

I have been doing Forum reviews for Smartphones for quite some time. When buying a phone, you first need to determine what your needs are.

If you just require a phone to make and receive calls, and do some SMS, any cheap phone will do. If you require 4G data, there are some very good Chinese phones that compete well with Sammy, LG Moto etc.

The issue with most Chinese manufactures is warranty/service and OS updates. Most never send out an update for a security leak and getting service is next to impossible.

In the last 3 months or so, I have been using the Elephone P7000 and 8000 and the Zopo Speed 7 Plus. They all have great specs and have worked flawlessly. Zopo has done a decent job with updates but Elephone has not.

Now keep in mind, we are talking about phones that cost 3-4000B not 30,000B.

My philosophy is use the phone till it quits and replace it with another Chinese cheapie..

the telephone p8000 is approx 6,000b and the Zopo is 7,000. At least that's the prices from Dealbest and Aliaexpess