US 'grave disappointment' with Thailand for deportations

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were illegally staying in Thailand, so off course they should be deported. The western world should do the same, and many terrorism incidents would have been avoided.

Obviously the notion of a "refugee" us unknown to you and to Thailand for that matter. Shame on you. Shame on Thailand.

Human compassion is something people in Thailand should learn soon. The world would be a better place.

You must be kidding.

Compassion is the cause of all the terrorists acts around the world.

I wish Australia had the balls to expel all the Muslim Scum they let in.

Welcome to juntaland...just a lap-dog, lickspittle, fawning weak sister of Beijing

And the US are Not weak Bastards.

At least the Thai's have the balls to stand up for what they believe.

Whether or not we believe it.

We believe people like you have a right to freedom of speech. How utterly warped that you stand by a military regime that sends those who want freedom to face unfair trials and treatment. Interesting that you feel so privileged.

They were illegally staying in Thailand, so off course they should be deported. The western world should do the same, and many terrorism incidents would have been avoided.

g

And if they apply for political asylum? Or if another country says they will take them as political asylum seekers ( Turkey for example)? It will be interesting to learn what happens to the North Koreans currently. Are they here illegally? Of course, they are not permitted to leave North Korea.

Welcome to juntaland...just a lap-dog, lickspittle, fawning weak sister of Beijing

"At least the Thai's have the balls to stand up for what they believe."

Believe? Do you really think this whole mess is about beliefs? Sorry pal, but it's all about money and power (and that goes AFAIK for every government Thailand has ever had).

Rubbish, they were refugees certified by the UN. The western world would not have done the same.

For once I agree with you 100%.

when will people realize that Thailand has never been democratic and to them its just a word. No election here has ever been truly democratic and probably never will be. The only reasons Thailand had to be democratic was to fit in with Western superpowers. But nowdays thats not necessary as big brother China is on their side and the US dumped all military funding last year. So expect more of this to come... The US can go to hell as far as Thailand is concerned now, they dont need the US, but the US need Thailand far more if its to get advantages over China... Doesnt look like thats gonna happen...

I love Thailand they don't care about the UN

They put their people first before immigrants

Europe could learn allot from Thailands policy to refugees and illegal immigrants

How can they house refugees when they have millions of poor people of their own to look after

I thought the rules were one had request political asylum before or on arrival, not when the were found to be in Thailand illegally.

Maybe next time they should be allowed to apply to the America for asylum... then when refused let the American branch of Amnesty International lambaste its own government.

I thought the rules were one had request political asylum before or on arrival, not when the were found to be in Thailand illegally.

Maybe next time they should be allowed to apply to the America for asylum... then when refused let the American branch of Amnesty International lambaste its own government.

They have to get there first.. Note Cubans not being refused entry once they get foot on American soil

Rubbish, they were refugees certified by the UN. The western world would not have done the same.

Nonsense. Being "certified" by a UN NGO does not confer the right to illegally enter a country and ignore its immigration laws.

In the West, they might have been able to apply for asylum but not if they'd been caught and proved to have entered illegally. They would have to rely on the Human Rights laws and laws applicable to being returned to potentially dangerous situations.

Why did the UN do nothing other than certify them and then whinge and whine when they were caught and treated in accordance with Thailand.

Thailand isn't and has never been known as refugee / migrant friendly. Ask any Rohingya.

We believe people like you have a right to freedom of speech. How utterly warped that you stand by a military regime that sends those who want freedom to face unfair trials and treatment. Interesting that you feel so privileged.

Nothing to do with the military regime. All to do with Thai law (and I believe something similar that most countries do). Get caught as an illegal immigrant, overstay or what many regards as worse, illegally entering and you may get fined, imprisoned, and deported - one or more of them.

Countries don't usually ask where you'd like to go. You get sent to the country of citizenship, as shown on your passport.

Countries can't chose other than what their law says. It's irrelevant what the UN or Obama say. Unless they believe they are above the law of course.

Personally, I don't think it matters what these two 'dissidents' did or did not do. I think it's politics and currently suits the Thai government to be seen by other similar governments as giving some kind of 'hero worship'. Sad, but I think that's how it is.

Personally, I don't think it matters what these two 'dissidents' did or did not do. I think it's politics and currently suits the Thai government to be seen by other similar governments as giving some kind of 'hero worship'. Sad, but I think that's how it is.

Look up the Thai Law regarding destination for deportees.

Would you condone breaking the law on a case by case basis? If so, who decides and against what criteria.

There is far too much "flexible applications of the law" in Thailand as it is.

Would you condone breaking the law on a case by case basis? If so, who decides and against what criteria.

Oh I see, Following Thai Law...I missed that bit...I'll make a note it.coffee1.gif And for whose convenience have they decided to follow the Law?

I love Thailand they don't care about the UN

They put their people first before immigrants

Europe could learn allot from Thailands policy to refugees and illegal immigrants

How can they house refugees when they have millions of poor people of their own to look after

They have millions of poor people (which they barely look after) because the elite have pilfered hundreds of trillion of baht from those same people since day 1.

I agree that there needs to be rigorous vetting of immigrants to thawrt potential terrorists. But it seems you don’t favour democracy. Why would the West even consider deporting pro-democracy activists who are U.N –registered refugees and flout international commitments and obligations? I’ve heard first-hand and read numerous sources about conditions in China’s prisons and what happens there and deficient due process. We should consider their predicament now.

Thailand faced widespread criticism in July for forcibly repatriating 109 minority Uighurs who had fled China, where they say they face repression.

And it turned out Thailand was correct about this, as the Uighurs were being smuggled by ISIS through Thailand to Turkey, so that they could fight in Syria. Never trust an NGO as they always have hidden agendas.

Yes, but these are just two Chinese people with human rights ties with the West ......and look at their names: Jiang Yefei and Dong Guangping. Not Uighur names are they? In fact, they’re pro-democracy activists who are U.N –registered refugees. Do you know what happens to trail-blazers like that in Red China?

I really do not understand what the problem is. Britain just hosted the Chinese Prime minister

with a royal gala dinner, China has most favored trading status with the USA and Europe.

What could possibly be the problem. Surely these bastions of democracy and integrity

would not do this if there were any serious issues. If I were Thailand I would tell these

world leading hypocrites to PFO. coffee1.gif

Very naive to think the western world does not operate to its own agenda's. Take Australia as one example of failure to UN agreements and basic human rights.

1) holding asylum seekers in detention centers for years on end without resolving their claims one way or the other

2) a real classic of complete breaking of UN agreements the same as this one from Thailand of paying captains of asylum seeker boats trying to get to Australia and NZ to turn those boats around - Amnesty International is trying to take them to task over that.

3) holding people who have completed prison sentences in detention centers for unspecified periods of time

4) arresting and detaining people in detention centers who have not committed any crimes purely on suspicion because they have associated with a member of a bikey gang.

And that's just a few from one western country without giving your suggestion a lot of thought.

Do not agree with what Thailand has done here but to suggest that western countries hold to UN values above their own interests is naive

Edited by Roadman

Oh please, breaking the law on a case by case basis. They bend the law to suit their political agenda like any other banana republic. How many rich people go free after breaking the law in Thailand ?

In this case Thailand was inflexible when it came to democracy activists in China. Thailand obviously does not take democracy or free speech very seriously. As for the UN, when it set up in Thailand, it was one of its largest employers. When Thais ask; "Why does Thailand have such a lousy relationship with the UN?" they will now know why. Kiss that security council seat good bye for decades to come !

These were UN registered pro democracy activists. They weren't fleeing a war, they weren't economic refugees,they hadn't committed any crime, they were fleeing Government oppression for their views. The Junta should be ashamed of their actions, but there again many Thais have fled Thailand because of political oppression by the Junta so we shouldn't be surprised at them doing this.

There is no oppression of views......they most probably tried to cause unrest and change government system by illegal means...so they are criminals in China.

If you try to cause unrest and try to change the government system you also get in troubles in Germany, Austria, France.....

"..most probably.." So you are guessing. Stick to the facts.

These were UN registered pro democracy activists. They weren't fleeing a war, they weren't economic refugees,they hadn't committed any crime, they were fleeing Government oppression for their views. The Junta should be ashamed of their actions, but there again many Thais have fled Thailand because of political oppression by the Junta so we shouldn't be surprised at them doing this.

There is no oppression of views......they most probably tried to cause unrest and change government system by illegal means...so they are criminals in China.

If you try to cause unrest and try to change the government system you also get in troubles in Germany, Austria, France.....

Easy to do some research on these people before posting. They should not have been sent back. Supporting human rights should not be a crime. But sadly, is a crime in China. Though not in Germany, Austria, France....

https://www.frontlinedefenders.org/node/30117

Dong Guangping is a human rights defender and former political prisoner who served three years in prison from 2001 to 2004 on a charge of 'inciting subversion of state power' for promoting democracy. In July 2014 he was again detained and held incommunicado for over eight months following his participation in an event commemorating the victims of the government crackdown on Tiananmen Square protests in 1989.

Jiang Yefei is the Chairperson of the Thai branch of the Federation for a Democratic China. He fled to Thailand seven years ago following persistent persecution by the authorities in China. In the aftermath of a devastating earthquake in Sichuan province in 2008, Jiang Yefei gave critical interviews to the foreign media, after which he was detained and reportedly subjected to torture.

I'd hate to think of what lies ahead for these people people....and their families.