where to buy 5 & 10 baht coins for small store?

muskoka

My gf's store is continually running out of 5 & 10 baht coins. Occasionally a bank will sell us some, but 90% of the time they say they have none.

I try and order for next day delivery and they say, no, sorry, cannot do.

Anyone know where stores buy their coins in Chiang Mai?

Doug

An interesting conundrum!

Typically in any asian neighbourhood there is a "go-to person" who looks after retailers needs for cash denominations. It's an historical non-bank banking/currency exchange!

For some reason your gf hasn't made the connection yet.

When it comes to currency, there is never any shortage of it - just a slight delay in the transaction.

Asians would NOT like to appear to be unable to do business transactions!

That is completely antithetical to their being!

"Occasionally the banks have 5 & 10 baht coins..... 90% of the time they don't"? In the hundreds of times my staff have been to a bank for change I would say that they occasionally don't have 5's or 10's, not they occasionally do. If they aren't even prepared to let you order some, then you need to change banks, because I've never heard of that either.

"Occasionally the banks have 5 & 10 baht coins..... 90% of the time they don't"? In the hundreds of times my staff have been to a bank for change I would say that they occasionally don't have 5's or 10's, not they occasionally do. If they aren't even prepared to let you order some, then you need to change banks, because I've never heard of that either.

I bank at Thanischart, tried a couple branches but will try other banks.

I have asked people I know who own/operate small businesses and they have the same problem.

thanks!

Doug

I bank at Thanischart, tried a couple branches but will try other banks.

I have asked people I know who own/operate small businesses and they have the same problem.

thanks!

Doug

I used to have this problem 25 years ago, when bank employees were the surly offspring of the rich and privileged who paid the bank to get their idiot child a job. A polite reminder from me to the manager that if they weren't prepared to provide a basic service to their customers then perhaps I should find a bank that does, often had the desired effect. Occasionally, it worked for a few month or so, and then I moved on, as promised .

Eventually, about 10 years or so ago, banks finally twigged on to the fact that they were a member of the Service industry and adjusted their attitudes accordingly. The rich kids with their superiority complex have been replaced by smiling staff that are out to please, and the level of service has now mostly exceeded that of the West.

If you have a branch where the outdated attitudes exist then try to politely let them know what services you expect, and suggest that you will be happy to move on if they can't provide it. After the opening and closing of accounts, all those years ago, upon opening a new account at a different bank I quietly explained why I left the previous bank so they knew where we stood from day one. The first time I went for change and they didn't have 5b coins they apologised and offered to bring some round later, when the cashier returned from lunch, which they did! They had my business, and still do.

If anyone joins this topic and reminds you that you are a 'guest' in this country and shouldn't complain, just smile and say 'okay!' and leave it at that. He's happy for now, bless him.

Archived