Unmarked police cars in CM?

dingdongrb

I didn't know there were unmarked police cars in CM and I have lived here for nearly 8 years.

Just about 15 mins ago I left Big C (Hang Dong - CM Rd and Middle Ring Rd intersection) and followed out a S&P Bakery delivery truck. We were both in the left lane heading South and traffic was stopped due to the light being red. When the light changed and we moved forward the S&P truck crossed two lanes in the middle of the intersection to get in the rightmost through lane while passing the slower traffic.

The next thing I know I heard a siren ahead of me as I made a lane change in the middle lane. As the S&P truck went on down the road he changed into the middle lane and then I could see ahead where there was a car (bronze colored Honda Accord) in the rightmost lane with the red and blue lights flashing in his back window. The Accord then pulled ahead of the S&P truck changing into the middle lane and proceeded to go very slow slowing down the truck. They both then veered towards the side of the road and as I went by I could see a uniformed policeman in the Accord and he was gesturing to the S&P driver to pull the truck over.

Not sure what the truck did so wrong as I've seen other drivers do far worse but I think what happened was when the truck driver cut across two lanes in the intersection he did so and pulled out in front of the cop. Must have pissed him off.

All while living in Thailand I have yet to see, until today, a cop car pull over another vehicle. And I now have learned that there are unmarked police cars. I guess I'd better stop driving like 'a bat out of hell'...... gigglem.gif

I have seen this happen before and I know there are a few of them out on the streets. I think they might be a unit within the Thai Highway Patrol which has an office in Chiang Mai. I think it is a good thing that they are starting to stop people for moving violations, it is done all the time in other countries.

Funny, saw one heading up the superhighway into Chiang Mai this afternoon, blues and twos blaring. Assumed it was some numnut kid who had been down to the local car accessory shop. Maybe it actually was police.

Which brings up a question, being stopped by some scam artist pretending to be a cop, would that be better or worse than being stopped by the real gangsters?

What's the point of an unmarked police car with a uniformed officer inside.......bit of a giveaway isn't it?

It was an unmarked police car, not an undercover officer. Even in the USA the officers in the unmarked cars wear uniforms. (I know from unfortunate experience.. crying.gif )

BTW, with all the dark tinted windows here in LOS how many cars can you actually look into and see the driver clearly?

What's the point of an unmarked police car with a uniformed officer inside.......bit of a giveaway isn't it?

any police presence is welcomed when it comes to vehicular matters

You must be new in town.

Let me just remove the blindfold so that you can see what the real world is like. Enjoy your stay, sir.

Funny, saw one heading up the superhighway into Chiang Mai this afternoon, blues and twos blaring. Assumed it was some numnut kid who had been down to the local car accessory shop. Maybe it actually was police.

Which brings up a question, being stopped by some scam artist pretending to be a cop, would that be better or worse than being stopped by the real gangsters?

Same Thing

We must have turned left out of BigC about the same time as I crossed behind that bronze/gold Accord to make a right turn before the lights. It was especially noticeable due to 3 whip antennae sprouting out of the boot lid. Couldn't see the driver but there was a 'screen' mounted atop the centre of dashboard.

I've never, in eight years in CM, seen a cop car give chase to anything. Or even seen a cop car waiting with a radar gun, anywhere.

that means nothing. I'd wager there are at least two other things you've never seen.

Ok, since you challenge me (on road behaviour):

1. I have never seen traffic slow down or move to the side to allow an ambulance to get through;

2. I have never seen traffic stop to allow a pedestrian to cross Huay Kaew when the light is on green (for the pedestrian) and (obviously) red for the helter-skelter traffic.

I could go on, but....

Best to just keep driving to the nearest police station?

We must have turned left out of BigC about the same time as I crossed behind that bronze/gold Accord to make a right turn before the lights. It was especially noticeable due to 3 whip antennae sprouting out of the boot lid. Couldn't see the driver but there was a 'screen' mounted atop the centre of dashboard.

I'm sure we did Rob as you look recognizable from your profile pic.. Were you behind me driving the (if I recall) light grey mini-van? I was in a light grey Mazda 3.

I noticed the antenna as well but didn't think anything about it as I've seen many other vehicles with massive CB antennas. I did notice the large monitor as the passenger window was down but couldn't see the driver as I wasn't pulled up far enough and was actually paying more attention to the traffic.

As far as another poster stating that they never seen a cop car pulled aside and using a radar gun. I happened to have a few of those occurrences (unfortunately finding out the hard way) but never in the CM area. Once I was ticketed by radar where the cop car was hidden in the median area between a bunch of trees. That was just outside of Nakhon Sawan. And the other time was in the rural Isaan area (Hwy 24 in Buri Ram providence). It was a police truck and it was off the side of the road hidden on a path in a sugar cane field (sneaky bastard). He got me and they flagged me over about 1 km down the road where I paid a 200 baht fine. Afterward traveling about another 10 or so km further there was another!!! The only think that stopped me from getting a second ticket was I had slowed down due to the piss poor road conditions.

I've never, in eight years in CM, seen a cop car give chase to anything. Or even seen a cop car waiting with a radar gun, anywhere.

that means nothing. I'd wager there are at least two other things you've never seen.

I see the radar gun for taking photos of speeding cars at least twice a week on the super highway near the rual road cut off.