Visit from Police after Paris terror

Felt 35

The Immigration volunteer I talked with yesterday had not heard anything about extra ordinary check of foreigners, but I have got a meeting later this week with the Superintendent and hope to get some more info then.

Be sure to sight the Superintendent's ID before the meeting. :)

Funny enough I have just had a phone call from Kathu police. They must come and visit my home today. My THai wife is away until tomorrow and I asked them to wait but they insist see me now. Wifey phoned them and it is to do with the Paris bombing, she told them I am British, but no matter. I expect the police to call round my home in the next hour - will report back.

Edited by LivinginKata

A senior member of the Police force is a neighbor of ours.

He says he knows nothing about "police with lists" checking on foreigners and suggests we call him if we experience such a visit.

Edit = spelling correction

Edited by expatbrit

Funny enough I have just had a phone call from Kathu police. They must come and visit my home today. My THai wife is away until tomorrow and I asked them to wait but they insist see me now. Wifey phoned them and it is to do with the Paris bombing, she told them I am British, but no matter. I expect the police to call round my home in the next hour - will report back.

The 4 policemen turned up, no uniforms but happy to show Kathu Police IDs, all quite jovial, checked my passport, took my photo in front of house number. Then they showed me pages of names/nationality/passport numbers and asked me about one of our company's registered guests from Ukraine, so I gave them the apartment number and phone number and let them get on with their work.

All quite weird - names were sent from the French Police to the Thai Police. Thai police got registered addresses from Thai Immigration. Thing is I have not been in France for 19 years, although I did some consultant work for a French company from 1987 to 1996. That's about to only reason I could have been in the French database.

The 4 policemen turned up, no uniforms but happy to show Kathu Police IDs, all quite jovial, checked my passport, took my photo in front of house number. Then they showed me pages of names/nationality/passport numbers and asked me about one of our company's registered guests from Ukraine, so I gave them the apartment number and phone number and let them get on with their work.

All quite weird - names were sent from the French Police to the Thai Police. Thai police got registered addresses from Thai Immigration. Thing is I have not been in France for 19 years, although I did some consultant work for a French company from 1987 to 1996. That's about to only reason I could have been in the French database.

Interesting report. Thank you.

A French generated list "enhanced" by the BIB.?

Were these ordinary policemen or Special Branch officers ?

I ask because my neighbor who holds a senior position in Kathu says he knows nothing about this search.

I would have thought they are on something of a fools errand , passport numbers change legitimately , bad guys are unlikely to leave an easily followed trail and it is easy for anyone , if they have a reason, to avoid having an address registered with immigration.

Edited by expatbrit

Interesting report. Thank you.

A French generated list "enhanced" by the BIB.?

Were these ordinary policemen or Special Branch officers ?

I ask because my neighbor who holds a senior position in Kathu says he knows nothing about this search.

<snip>

I have no idea waht branch these officers come from as I could not read their Thai script ID cards..

But these officers did not strike me as regular PC plods. They were much more sophisticated and calculating. As I stated they seemed jovial and talkative. A good ploy for covert interrogration, very similar to American Immigration officers when I enter the USA .... if you know what I mean ....

Could it be that with all this investigation and visit to foreigners in Phuket police believe the terrorist from Paris which is still at large could be hiding out down here!

Update. There have not, or at least thats what I have been told a general check of foreigners going out / in of Thailand in the week +- around the Paris terror, But a control of some where immigration authorities have been unsure about nationality and origin of people, and in some cases locations where foreigners have been tenants.

In my case which I prefer to call a misunderstanding is that even with a family history documented back to 1600's in Scandinavia Im not blond and with a good tan I can well understand that the picture in my passport confusingly could be perceived to be a man from a different world region. Summary, not every Scandinavian are blondbiggrin.png

Edited by Felt 35

Read this PG report ---> http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Authorities-aware-Islamic-State-terrorist-arrivals-Phuket/62529

Also my wife read a recent news report in Thai news that one of the Paris 'terrorists' had been spotted in Phuket. I assume that about the very old 'potentail' sighting here in Phuket.

Last few days I have been contacted by Kathu police about even more of our long term guests registered with our company.

British international school is taking the current situation seriously.

"BISP PTA Christmas Fair cancelled

We regret to announce that the Headmaster of BISP has made a decision to cancel today’s BISP PTA Christmas Fair at the school due to the nationwide security alert. The school day will finish as normal at 14.35, but there will be no after school activities."

http://www.bisphuket.ac.th/bisp-pta-christmas-fair-cancelled/

Read this PG report ---> http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Authorities-aware-Islamic-State-terrorist-arrivals-Phuket/62529

Also my wife read a recent news report in Thai news that one of the Paris 'terrorists' had been spotted in Phuket. I assume that about the very old 'potentail' sighting here in Phuket.

Last few days I have been contacted by Kathu police about even more of our long term guests registered with our company.

Seems the company will have to be more selective in its business dealings.

Any commonality associated with these guests ? Country of origin perhaps ?

I don't see any nationality connection. I am British, one quest Ukraine, another American. I think some Scandanavian Forum member mentioned thay had been contacted. Only connection I see is longer term visitors, like more than 3 years.

I don't see any nationality connection. I am British, one quest Ukraine, another American. I think some Scandanavian Forum member mentioned thay had been contacted. Only connection I see is longer term visitors, like more than 3 years.

Thank you for responding !

I have most certainly been here for more than 3 years and have come and gone at will. I have had no "visit" nor do I expect one smile.png

• 1 month later...

Again the Kathu police phoned me today, and called round to identify and photo one of our Russian guests (a lady). Looks like these visits will be on

going for a long time ...

Seems you will have to be more selective in your choice of guest !

Again the Kathu police phoned me today, and called round to identify and photo one of our Russian guests (a lady). Looks like these visits will be on

Why you say that ? I am one of those 'interviewed', the others are all solid long stay guests (as in years). It's all police plodding ... due to a maybe sighting in Phuket years ago. I don't mind helping the poice ... what else can I do ...

Why you say that ? I am one of those 'interviewed', the others are all solid long stay guests (as in years). It's all police plodding ... due to a maybe sighting in Phuket years ago. I don't mind helping the poice ... what else can I do ...

Sorry I was not attempting to implicate you in any way but it would seem the police are interested in your choice of guest ! I was merely suggesting you take a more considered approach to the guests accommodated and perhaps invite those who the police show an interest in to move on ..............

I would guess these are not "ordinary" BIB police ?

Sorry I was not attempting to implicate you in any way but it would seem the police are interested in your choice of guest ! I was merely suggesting you take a more considered approach to the guests accommodated and perhaps invite those who the police show an interest in to move on ..............

How can I respond to you without breaking forum rules ...

My guests are all solid folks and they will not be invited to move on ..

I only post for public/forum information that the 'special' police are still on the hunt.

The case is most likely that the police has learned that they get reliable information from LIK's place. Therefore they wish to get information, even when the matter is not urgent.

The other thing is that LIK is telling us, what is going on. That is valuable information, which most other places don't produce public as they could think it's somehow shameful to do so.

So don't be an ass. We have had enough of the oppressed people and companies, who are too afraid to say, what is happening and what they really think.

FINALLY!!!!! I was getting worried. Darwin Award for the stupidest comment of the day! smile.pngclap2.gif

The case is most likely that the police has learned that they get reliable information from LIK's place. Therefore they wish to get information, even when the matter is not urgent.

The other thing is that LIK is telling us, what is going on. That is valuable information, which most other places don't produce public as they could think it's somehow shameful to do so.

So don't be an ass. We have had enough of the oppressed people and companies, who are too afraid to say, what is happening and what they really think.

Actually its a sign that Immigration and Police not have done their homework. It usually should take a bit more than " Police wondering" before they come knocking on the doors to people who through Immigration can prove their residency here for as long as this civil clothed brown boys are old. Very unprofessional.