Visit from Police after Paris terror

Felt 35

Hi,

Yes, on Sunday 15-Nov. Four guys called on my house carrying what appeared to be an official print out with my name highlighted. I don’t speak Thai, but understood the intent of their visit was for security purposes only, due to “IS” activity.

The spokesman, one without an ID, told me they where only checking on Americans. I contacted Phuket Town Immigrations on Monday asking about this operation, and they seemed somewhat bewildered about the matter. Eventually an Officer, he gave me his name and seemed to be in charge, told me that no such operations was authorized by the "immigrations police", and it would not occur on a Sunday.

After the fact I started kicking myself for not paying more attention, considering:

None of the four guys were wearing uniform and did not arrive in an officially marked vehicle

One of the four guys flashed me his Immigrations Police ID. They other three did not produce ID.

No. Are you Syrian or Arab?

Maybe only then this check will make sense but i guess TIT.

No. Scandinavian, maybe they check on everyone gone out and in of the country the last week? I really hope it's not xenophobia I just had experience with.:(

Hi,

Yes, on Sunday 15-Nov. Four guys called on my house carrying what appeared to be an official print out with my name highlighted. I don’t speak Thai, but understood the intent of their visit was for security purposes only, due to “IS” activity.

The spokesman, one without an ID, told me they where only checking on Americans. I contacted Phuket Town Immigrations on Monday asking about this operation, and they seemed somewhat bewildered about the matter. Eventually an Officer, he gave me his name and seemed to be in charge, told me that no such operations was authorized by the "immigrations police", and it would not occur on a Sunday.

After the fact I started kicking myself for not paying more attention, considering:

None of the four guys were wearing uniform and did not arrive in an officially marked vehicle

One of the four guys flashed me his Immigrations Police ID. They other three did not produce ID.

I had visit of two, no uniform but Police ID. What make me a bit suspicious is they did not ask for my ID (Passport) but had my name on a list with passport number and address. Why did they not check my passport against the name they had on their list.

Yes, I tend to agree with you. Just to clarify that one of the four guys who called on my house presented me with an Immigrations Police ID. Without pressing him for a photocopy, and my failure to even take the vehicle registration number doesn't leave me with enough information to pursue the matter further.

Koh Kaew

Thanks,

Sound very much like a scam - be very wary and ask for ID.

Where about in Phuket was this?

Town (South of Samkong). The Police was actually from Phuket Town Police station and said they was not happy to do this kind of job because it was the Immigrations job but every Police station had got a list with names to check on for people going out just before the bombing and coming in just after.

Sound very much like a scam - be very wary and ask for ID.

Where about in Phuket was this?

Town (South of Samkong). The Police was actually from Phuket Town Police station and said they was not happy to do this kind of job because it was the Immigrations job but every Police station had got a list with names to check on for people going out just before the bombing and coming in just after.

nothing a bit north in phuket town but last night they had a massive stop and stopped 100% of thais and searched almost 100% of vehicules

I was the only person let through but i never received confirmation that i could go through, i just looked confident and went ahead slowly so i dont know if its related or not.

No. Scandinavian, maybe they check on everyone gone out and in of the country the last week? I really hope it's not xenophobia I just had experience with.sad.png

What country did you visit last week?

No. Scandinavian, maybe they check on everyone gone out and in of the country the last week? I really hope it's not xenophobia I just had experience with.:(

Then i might be also on their list. Came back from Europe some days ago. Will fix the gate cam for taking some nice pics if they come.

Today I had a visit from 4 local police in uniform. We have dealt with them before. Very courteous and friendly. They just mainly filled out a form taking info from my passport and visa. Said they were told to visit all homes of farangs. Btw I live in a village in Issan, so I guess it is all day over the country.

No. Scandinavian, maybe they check on everyone gone out and in of the country the last week? I really hope it's not xenophobia I just had experience with.sad.png

Home country and I have not been to France or middle East since the late 80`s and then working there.

Home country and I have not been to France or middle East since the late 80`s and then working there.

What is your home country?

I was visited by fake policeman years ago looking for a donation. I told him to go away before my dog comes and bites him. He didn't listen and got bit. Never had another come back again. But it's interesting or rather scary that they had names, addresses and passport numbers, not in uniform and without proper ID.

I also had a visit from 2 police officers last Sunday. They were from our local police station in Sanam Chai Khet and said that Chon Buri Imigration had asked them to call. This is strange as I haven't used that Imigration office for over 3 years. I now use Chachoengsou office.

They asked me if I was happy here in Thailand and I told them that I was. They then said thats good because Chon Buri had asked them to look after me ! They then took a photo of me and wrote out a receipt that they gave to me. On leaving they spotted my snooker table and said they would call round sometime for a game.

Oh calm down. It's a scam. Happens fairly frequently. Bunch of thugs, usually dressed in black (intimidating) flashing plastic card/wearing one around their necks. Just tell them to bugger off. Never let them in. They'll be off looking for someone not fresh off the boat post haste coffee1.gif

Oh calm down. It's a scam. Happens fairly frequently. Bunch of thugs, usually dressed in black (intimidating) flashing plastic card/wearing one around their necks. Just tell them to bugger off. Never let them in. They'll be off looking for someone not fresh off the boat post haste coffee1.gif

Well lets say its a scam or better joke. What can they possible get out of this kind of scam? Unless they not are linked to Police or Immigration in one or another way and someone there hate my face.

Don't tell me that some people are so #¤##% that they like to act as Police which not exactly are seen as a dream job in most of the world...of course unless....oh forget it.

The Immigration volunteer I talked with yesterday had not heard anything about extra ordinary check of foreigners, but I have got a meeting later this week with the Superintendent and hope to get some more info then.

Edited by Felt 35