Army probe finds traces of corruption in Rajabhakti

webfact

SCANDAL
Army probe finds traces of corruption in Rajabhakti

THE NATION

30273362-01_big.JPG?1447966302603
Udomdej

Findings of committee to be revealed today; NACC urges the public to submit more evidence of alleged of irregularities in the park project

BANGKOK: -- AN Army-commissioned probe into alleged irregularities in the construction of Rajabhakti Park in Hua Hin district of Prachuab Kiri Khan province has found some evidence of corrupt practices, according to sources close to the investigation.

Army chief General Theerachai Nakwanich is expected to announce the findings of this probe committee today, covering details of the work done by seven metal-casting factories which created the replica statues of seven Thai kings as well as the budgets disbursed for this project.

Besides the budgets for each of the metal casting factories, which separately carried out the work, financial details on expenses paid for the transporation of the giant statues to Rajabhakti Park in Hua Hin would be publicly disclosed as well as expenses for installation of the statues and other related work, according to sources.

Public disclosure of financial details of this project has become necessary after two senior Army officers have been accused of taking bribes.

Earlier, Theerachai ordered the setting up of the probe committee and named General Veeran Chantasartkosol, head of the Army advisory council, as its chair.

Regarding the alleged request for bribes from the seven metal-casting factories by an amulet expert identified only with a Thai initial "Ao", sources said there could be further investigations to find out if this person had violated the law or had abused the Army's name for personal financial gains.

For criminal offences, the person would face prosecution if there were to be solid evidence of wrongdoing. However, in civil damage cases, there could be a settlement out of court, according to sources.

Earlier, former Army chief and current deputy defence minister General Udomdej Sitabur, who initiated this project, admitted that there had been illegal payment of commission fees but the money had already been returned and converted into a "donation" for the foundation sponsoring the Rajabhakti Park's remaining work.

Sources close to the investigation said there were three sources of funding and donations for this project.

- Money from holding an event to launch this project;

- Public donations to a unit of the Army with money transferred into the Army's official bank account;

- Additional special events, including "Bike for Rajabhakti Park and Concert" to raise funds.

All these are fully accounted for since they were within the Army's financial system.

However, the probe committee found that there were also other "donations" outside the Army's financial system so there would be further investigation into these additional sources of funds as well as the identities of those who got the money.

The probe committee's head, Army chief adviser General Veeran, has already briefed Theerachai on these findings.

Meanwhile, Third Army Area Commander Lt-General Somsak Nilbanjerdkul has dismissed rumours that Colonel Khachachart Boondee, who was charged with lese majeste, was in custody. He said the authorities had asked six Thai-Myanmar township border committees to help locate the fugitive.

Royal Thai Police deputy spokesman Maj-General Piyapan Pingmuang denied that national police chief Chakthip Chaijinda had gone to the stronghold of a Myanmar minority group to arrest Khachachart and bring him back to Thailand for prosecution.

He insisted that Chakthip went there to give moral support to police officers at the Sao Hin Police Station in Mae Hong Son's Mae Sariang district because it was without power. Piyapan returned to Bangkok on Wednesday night, he said.

Meanwhile, Sansern Pholjiak, secretary-general of National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), urged the public to submit more evidence concerning the Rajabhakti Park's alleged irregularities to the NACC so that the agency could take further action against state officials.

The anti-graft body will also work with the Army to follow up on this case, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Army-probe-finds-traces-of-corruption-in-Rajabhakt-30273362.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-20

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang on a sec,,, wasn't the line yesterday "the report is fake"??? now more evidence is coming out, kind'a hard to keep up that line I guess.

As for another poster on TVF claiming everything the current government has done is all good and there can not be corruption, and it's all just the red's and Thaksin, yingluck stupid buffalo Isaan dirty poor rice famers did it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now what???

If there is solid evidence of corruption, who should be held accountable??? Who is currently being held accountable for the corrupt behavior of others??? Who is currently being told they have to pay money to the government for other peoples corrupt dealings???whistling.gif

Weren't we previously told that the army had conducted an internal investigation and had taken action (http://nwnt.prd.go.th/CenterWeb/NewsEN/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNPOL5811120010008).

Somebody hasn't been reading their copy of the draft Constitution (particularly Section 35 paragraphs 3 through 8).

How unethical!

Edited by waldroj

Hang on a sec,,, wasn't the line yesterday "the report is fake"??? now more evidence is coming out, kind'a hard to keep up that line I guess.

As for another poster on TVF claiming everything the current government has done is all good and there can not be corruption, and it's all just the red's and Thaksin, yingluck stupid buffalo Isaan dirty poor rice famers did it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now what???

If there is solid evidence of corruption, who should be held accountable??? Who is currently being held accountable for the corrupt behavior of others??? Who is currently being told they have to pay money to the government for other peoples corrupt dealings???whistling.gif

They say the report is fake. Doesn't mean there is no corruption. Maybe you just got here, but you will find every single project like this in Thailand has corruption in it somewhere.

Don't you think you should let the NACC do their job first instead of waving your arms in a frenzy from your armchair demanding someone goes to jail ?.

At least the NACC are doing something - which is more than they could under the dirty cronies. But I don't recall you ranting about that at the time. Which means your opinion is just hypocrisy and so we can treat it for what it's worth.

ILLEGAL payment of commission fees which have been returned and converted into a ' donation ' so that's all good then.

Doesn't the word illegal warrant further action ? I think we can guess the answer.

TIT where there's traces of corruption but it isn't really corruption ! rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Curious reporting...

The BKK Post the other day had the report detailing allegations that a certain Army colonel, now apparently on the run, was up to his neck in siphoning off large amounts of funds from the project for his personal gain.

The Nation report above mentions the Army colonel being charged with LM, but says nothing about the details in the BKK Post report about the various, specific ways in which he allegedly siphoned money off of the park project. In fact, from The Nation report, it's hardly even apparent the colonel has anything to do with the park project.

It would seem, there's more than a few details that The Nation isn't quite telling here.

We all know that corruption, graft, call it what ever you want, would have taken place on this project.....as it does on every other government (and RTA, RTP, RTAF, RTN and etc) project throughout Thailand.

The media reports are often disjointed and vague.....and difficult to follow as contradictions to previous reports are in the print each day........a normal Thai media situation.

As for high ranking military persons being caught and named....it just ain't gonna aver happen!

national police chief Chakthip Chaijinda had gone to the stronghold of a Myanmar minority group to arrest Khachachart and bring him back to Thailand for prosecution.

He insisted that Chakthip went there to give moral support to police officers at the Sao Hin Police Station in Mae Hong Son's Mae Sariang district because it was without power.

The National Police Chief visits a police station in the boonies to provide moral support because they lost power and can't watch their soapies anymore?

Ok, ...so he provided the entertainment then?

post-93078-0-91206500-1447985255_thumb.j

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Quality. Traces of corruption. Like saying traces of democracy. You either have corruption or democracy not traces. The title has made my weekend.

Traces of corruption. Like saying traces of democracy. Or, a little bit pregnant. Same, same but......the same. As you say LG....Quality Edited by exbikey

is there ANYTHING in this country that is not infested with corruption...?

My Thai girlfriend.

The smiles I get when the neighbours see me painting the house.

The meteor shower the last couple of nights.

The baby who laughed so hard yesterday he pissed all over our porch.

The gf's sister next door who's calls out whenever it's time to eat and never expects to be compensated.

The schoolgirls who walk by arm in arm everyday.

A simple Thai meal.

People who come at a moments notice when you need help.

The genuine Thai smiles everywhere.

My Thai girlfriend.

The gf's sister next door who's calls out whenever it's time to eat and never expects to be compensated.

A simple Thai meal.

Now what you say are all true and nice. I am the first to say that this country has lots going for it. I am also one who does not put my head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy. It is the very fact of turning away and pretending that things like corruption don't exist, has caused the mess so far. Yes Thailand is a wonderful country but like everywhere else it has its issues. Accepting them and addressing them will make it an even better place. After all isn't that what we all want.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Quality. Traces of corruption. Like saying traces of democracy. You either have corruption or democracy not traces. The title has made my weekend.

Trace:

a mark, object, or other indication of the existence or passing of something.

"remove all traces of the old adhesive"

synonyms: vestige, sign, mark, indication, evidence, clue; More

a very small quantity, especially one too small to be accurately measured.

"his body contained traces of amphetamines"

Yes - traces, indications, signs.

post-223396-0-88823500-1447990157_thumb.

My Thai girlfriend.
A simple Thai meal.

Now what you say are all true and nice. I am the first to say that this country has lots going for it. I am also one who does not put my head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy. It is the very fact of turning away and pretending that things like corruption don't exist, has caused the mess so far. Yes Thailand is a wonderful country but like everywhere else it has its issues. Accepting them and addressing them will make it an even better place. After all isn't that what we all want.

ILLEGAL payment of commission fees which have been returned and converted into a ' donation ' so that's all good then.

Doesn't the word illegal warrant further action ? I think we can guess the answer.

TIT where there's traces of corruption but it isn't really corruption ! rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Illegal doesn't have the same meaning here.

We think that something illegal requires those responsible to be caught, tried and if guilty punished. A sort of law and justice system.

Here it means those exposed might have to share out some of the proceedings. Unless they are poor, low class, not connected or from the right families, in which case it's a massively disproportionate sentence.

Almost as good as "I'm sorry sir, but your daughter has traces of pregnancy."

cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Not if ANY government official is within 100 miles of having a say in it.

Wonderful people for the most part though aside from the government, much like the USA, just with fewer obese folks.

They say the report is fake. Doesn't mean there is no corruption. Maybe you just got here, but you will find every single project like this in Thailand has corruption in it somewhere.

Don't you think you should let the NACC do their job first instead of waving your arms in a frenzy from your armchair demanding someone goes to jail ?.

At least the NACC are doing something - which is more than they could under the dirty cronies. But I don't recall you ranting about that at the time. Which means your opinion is just hypocrisy and so we can treat it for what it's worth.

"Don't you think you should let the NACC do their job first instead of waving your arms in a frenzy from your armchair demanding someone goes to jail ?"

On John, are you actually saying you expect the NACC to do their job? What job is that, John?

"At least the NACC are doing something - which is more than they could under the dirty cronies."

Ah, the good old "But, but, but...Thaksin" argument. Ingenious, John!

"Earlier, former Army chief and current deputy defence minister General Udomdej Sitabur, who initiated this project, admitted that there had been illegal payment of commission fees but the money had already been returned and converted into a "donation" for the foundation sponsoring the Rajabhakti Park's remaining work."

So if I rob a bank in Thailand I won't be prosecuted if I return the money??

"He insisted that Chakthip went there to give moral support to police officers at the Sao Hin Police Station in Mae Hong Son's Mae Sariang district because it was without power."

So the national police chief goes into the boondocks to hold hands with officers in a police station that's lost power??

Bizarre, even for Thailand.

Edited by MZurf

Dear EnglishJohn,

While I appreciate your posts for their steadfast consistency, I do have a few quibbles with your use of language and your dereliction of self-awareness. So, without further ado...

First, I would commend to you an English language dictionary, with which to become familiar with the word "hypocrisy" and its various meanings. This new found knowledge might help you craft more cogent rants.

Second, the word you are looking for is "bias". This is the tendency to see only one side of a story, or to have strong preferences without reason or justification.

Third, I commend you on achieving a small pinnacle of hypocrisy yourself, in accusing others of biased opinion, while engaging in an impressive string of aggressive, one-sided online posts yourself. For that achievement, I say, "Well done, sir!". Yet do not become complacent or reflective. There are still mountains of infamy to climb.

I am looking forward to your next deposit on this fertile field of human intercourse.

Love, PDL

No Corruption in Rajabhakti Park, Army Rules
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14479994931447999531l.jpg
Rajabhakti Park in Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

BANGKOK — An internal review into the billion-baht Rajabhakti Park found no evidence of corruption, army chief Teerachai Nakwanich announced today.

Following media reports and statements from the former army chief confirming financial irregularities involving overpayments and dodgy commissions paid to middlemen, Gen. Teerachai said inspection of budget and accounts of the project found no such irregularities in the project.

“There is no corruption. Every procedure is transparent,” Teerachai said.

Therefore there is no need to ask the National Anti-Corruption Commission to investigate the project, he told reporters at a news conference just before noon today at the Royal Thai Army headquarters.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447999493

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-20

Well, that clears that up then. I'm glad there was no corruption, Obviously this government with its self determined mandate of cleaning up corruption and bringing happiness to the people has understood that some things are off limits. They understood that there should be times when graft should not occur as that would tarnish their image and create doubt. This park is both a monument to themselves as well as the exalted figures of the past and to commit any act of corruption in an undertaking of this magnitude would simply be appalling. So, yes I'm glad that it was all transparent, FAITH IS RESTORED!

John, master of contradiction. You find oorruption everywhere and yet defend the military moral ground to eradicate corruption and reason to stage a coup.

By the way, the NACC has not done anything regarding Rajabhakti oorruption. Instead of launching into an investigation like CIB, they are " waiting".