Roundabout Wat Boon / 2nd Road

Pattaya28

Do Roundabouts actually feature in the Thai Highway Code ?

I will presume this Roundabout has drastically reduced the accidents at that junction. And assuming it has, well done City Hall.

What is happening when vehicles approach the Roundabout, wait to enter the system, if at all they wait and don't drive straight into it, is amazing. Many vehicles stop mid Roundabout to allow waiting traffic to enter. A Hotch-Potch of brainless behaviour. And just for good measure, a short section is deeply cratered most of the time.

What is so brain-testing about a Roundabout ?

Many Thai drivers don't know the rules of a roundabout (do they know the other traffic rules?). Nobody knows who has the right of way and therefore many just stop because they don't know what to do. The result is that the traffic is more safe. smile.png

Many Thai drivers don't know the rules of a roundabout (do they know the other traffic rules?). Nobody knows who has the right of way and therefore many just stop because they don't know what to do. The result is that the traffic is more safe. smile.png

Ha Ha very funny

tell that to the Farang laying at the side of the road the

other day when i went round it

It's like bomb craters at the moment, heading to Romploe market side of the roundabout.

And BTW most Thai drivers in pick up's or a bus, just charge at people on the roundabout. ( get out the way im coming through )

Not safe , stupid idea for here.

There is a Thai driving law , Land Traffic Act 2522 ( 1979 )

Section 73 . A driver must comply with traffic signals and signs which are installed at a circle ( rotary )

If there is no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle ( rotary ) , a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right.

There is a Thai driving law , Land Traffic Act 2522 ( 1979 )

Section 73 . A driver must comply with traffic signals and signs which are installed at a circle ( rotary )

If there is no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle ( rotary ) , a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right.

As i thought.

Just dangerous stupid drivers.

Amazing Thailand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Hold it hold it hold it.....this has nothing to do with Thais and there driving .... this has to do with French who basically invented the Roundabot but it took the British to perfect it.

If you have 10 people in a 10 person Elevator.... some one has to get out for someone to get in....No ?

Well French rules were to "give way" to traffic coming onto the roundabout.. great move until you get gridlock once the roundabout is crowded out from all directions. Sadly, they took this madness to their colonies... Eventually the French took on the same method as the UK. You give way to traffic already on or arriving from your right on the roundabout. You then can exit before another vehicle can get on.

UK drivers who drive around actually paying attention to traffic 200 mtrs ahead and using something called "anticipation" and can judge the speed of traffic on or approaching a roundabout adapt their own approach so that they can keep the traffic moving safely and smoothly.

There are Roundabouts in America but the locals find them "confusing" this all comes about from people not being able to understand "give way" the Americans call it "Yield" which results in them actually coming to stop which is not the point of roundabouts - it is to keep traffic moving.

The roundabout in question would work well if there was real driving instruction process for this country. That is never going to happen due to good old "face" How will you ever have any man who thinks he is more hi-so than the meanial driving instructor. Such a person will never listen to or even take a driving lesson or test if he can just pay someone and get the licence. The other problem with Thais turning a car is that they do not understand "full lock" They think the steering wheel just moves 5 to 6 inches from the 12 o'clock position. They also have to turn right before they turn left and vice versa. Dangerous move with on coming traffic and a fear of actually turning the wheel far enough round to get on with going .... Straight line mad speed is all OK but actually stopping and driving with and using any kind of good manners will never exist.

I worked in soviet countries and they still use the old French method and end up with frustrated drivers honking at one another to get out of the way after just letting them get in their way ...!

We have a few holes there now so drive slowly , but the roundabout has saved lifes since everyone has to slow down . Its not perfect but much better than before.

Edited by balo

Ha Ha very funny

It's like bomb craters at the moment, heading to Romploe market side of the roundabout.

And BTW most Thai drivers in pick up's or a bus, just charge at people on the roundabout. ( get out the way im coming through )

Oh... talking about Jomtien 2nd road.

Much ado about bugger all then.

Ha Ha very funny

Pedestrians need educating also, You should never cross at a roundabout. Laziness prevails as they should walk a few yards down/up the road where they are off the roundabout and have a central reservation so they can cross safely.

Unfortunately the photos where taken very shortly after the roundabout first appeared.

The whole length of Jomtien second road is full of "bomb craters" and Moto X "whoops"

they seem to have money to plant palm trees the whole length but not enough left over to fix the surface.

At least the lights on the final stretch towards Sukhumvit at long last work.

We have a few holes there now so drive slowly , but the roundabout has saved lifes since everyone has to slow down . Its not perfect but much better than before.

Can you show us some facts please how its saved lives ? whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Statistics shows that speed kills in Thailand, thats my facts. Preventing accidents and possbly saving lifes is a good start. Edited by balo

Can you show us some facts please how its saved lives ? whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Statistics shows that speed kills in Thailand, thats my facts. Preventing accidents and possbly saving lifes is a good start.

ok

Edited by onemorechang

I worked in soviet countries and they still use the old French method and end up with frustrated drivers honking at one another to get out of the way after just letting them get in their way ...!

Russian traffic regulations explicitly state to give way to traffic coming out of the roundabout. And the drivers are aware and actually follow them.

Russian traffic regulations explicitly state to give way to traffic coming out of the roundabout. And the drivers are aware and actually follow them.

Think that's how they do it. gigglem.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSd7sXc2pcE

Good post, Agree

And the Americans and roundabouts very funny !!!!giggle.gifgigglem.gifgiggle.gifgigglem.gifgiggle.gif

I was told by a colleague at work that there were only 4 roundabouts in the whole of the US!

Probably from somebody who's never been to the US. LOL

http://www.roundaboutsusa.com/

There are currently around 5,000 modern roundabouts operating in the USA that were constructed since 1990. Hundreds more are constructed every year.

That roundabout on 2nd road is terrible. Too small and most drivers just ignore the rules. Loved the minivan who cut around all of us on the outside. But loved the big bounce it took when it hit those pot holes! LOL

The Thais are mostly giving way to those on their left. If they're actually on the roundabout, they give way to vehicles wanting to enter the roundabout. In theory, the roundabout could fill up and no one would ever be able to move again lol

Most evenings 17:30 - 18:30 that's about right.

The Thais are mostly giving way to those on their left. If they're actually on the roundabout, they give way to vehicles wanting to enter the roundabout. In theory, the roundabout could fill up and no one would ever be able to move again lol

When I drive my car I always stop before the roundabout , waiting for the traffic in the roundabout but many bikes just wait for me , it takes a few seconds for them to move but maybe they slowly learning the rules, I guess only farang drivers understand the rules .

Edited by balo