• Latest posts...

1. 15

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

2. 56

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

3. 12

Thaksin and Pheu Thai Party face constitutional showdown

4. 12

To DTV or not to DTV - that is the question.

5. 5

If AN members could vote in the USA election, who would we vote in?

6. 220

Should A Woman Be Allowed to hold the office of President of the USA?

7. 15

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

8. 56

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

9. 7

Pickup Truck Loses Control in Rain, Crashes into Restaurant & Motorbikes: Na Jomtien

10. 0

Opinion: CBS’ anti journalism flubs should prompt a wake up call

11. 220

Should A Woman Be Allowed to hold the office of President of the USA?

12. 380

What does the average British expat think of Tommy?

13. 70

Tips on dealing with the regional SSA office in Manila

14. 7

Real estate agent (and previous owner) omit to tell one little detail, liable for damages ?

Tax on income from abroad.

Sorry to use this tread if not appropriate but i would like to know if there are any taxes to be paid in Thailand when you are receiving funds in Thai bank account from abroad on regular basis. Let say for example your monthly salary in USD from a work you are not doing in Thailand but in another country. Your funds are transfered every month to your Thai Bank account ( not foreign currency). So the fund transfered are originally in USD and when deposit to your account, automaticaly converted in THB.

Sorry forgot to mention my status in Thailand: Visa Non O 1 year based on Thai Child

'Salaries receive from employment exercises outside of Thailand are exempt from Thai tax, if not paid in or remitted into Thailand within the same calendar year it is received'

https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2011/12/thailand-income-tax.html

Having said that a lot of people (including myself) remit funds every month and just ignore taxes, there's no enforcement of that, or issues doing that. I'm in the same situation as you, monthly salary in USD, I just wire it to Thai bank and I've never been asked anything. But if you wanted to be 'legal' (in a country where most Thais don't pay tax either) strictly speaking you could wait a year to wire funds.

Thanks for quick feedback. Ok, yes, i have done like this for years now, receiving my "salary" directly on my Thai bank account and never been asked anything. My worry is that one day, some authorities whatsoever will come to me with a huge bill of unpaid taxes for years...

As of the number of days spend in Thailand, I definitely not reach 180 days per year. Basically, I am 5 days abroad and 2 days in Thailand per week.

Thanks

Naam, you should gain knowledge before you hit others. You do not know the difference between extensions and VISAS, and consequently you do not know the importance of knowing the difference either.

You should be careful to condemn others.... read and learn is a great tool in life, why not try it..

Glegolo

i know very well the difference and i only interfere (not condemn) when smartà... without any reason in a thread about taxes present their paramount knowledge of Thai procedures even though these procedures and naming are (seen from an international perspective and handling) ridiculous.

by the way... the Thai stamp granting "extension of stay" is a visa. and even if the name is changed to a whatever halfà... expression some Thai authority might think of it remains a visa. period!

p.s. i have a dog called "Tiger". but after 8 years calling him "Tiger" he is still a dog tongue.png

Thanks for quick feedback. Ok, yes, i have done like this for years now, receiving my "salary" directly on my Thai bank account and never been asked anything. My worry is that one day, some authorities whatsoever will come to me with a huge bill of unpaid taxes for years...

As of the number of days spend in Thailand, I definitely not reach 180 days per year. Basically, I am 5 days abroad and 2 days in Thailand per week.

Thanks

don't worry, no taxes for you!

Naam, you should gain knowledge before you hit others. You do not know the difference between extensions and VISAS, and consequently you do not know the importance of knowing the difference either.

You should be careful to condemn others.... read and learn is a great tool in life, why not try it..

Glegolo

i know very well the difference and i only interfere (not condemn) when smartà... without any reason in a thread about taxes present their paramount knowledge of Thai procedures even though these procedures and naming are (seen from an international perspective and handling) ridiculous.

by the way... the Thai stamp granting "extension of stay" is a visa. and even if the name is changed to a whatever halfà... expression some Thai authority might think of it remains a visa. period!

p.s. i have a dog called "Tiger". but after 8 years calling him "Tiger" he is still a dog tongue.png

Visas allow entry into a country.

Show us "smarta" how the "extension of stay" you fondly imagine to be a "visa" gains you entry into Thailand.

Just leave and then return using the "visa" you wrongly claim to have.

(No reentry permit is required if a VALID Visa is stamped/stuck in the passport.)

Discussion about dogs and tigers is offtopic.gif

Edited by oncearugge

Glegolo

Again, by answering you show your ignorance in this matter. Can inform you for future use, that you are completely wrong and should study the matter further before expressing an firm opinion..... I repeat, you do not know the difference..

Glegolo

Again, by answering you show your ignorance in this matter. Can inform you for future use, that you are completely wrong and should study the matter further before expressing an firm opinion..... I repeat, you do not know the difference..

Glegolo

you have my permission to repeat whatever makes you happy. and should you want to eat your heart out you have my permission too laugh.png

'Salaries receive from employment exercises outside of Thailand are exempt from Thai tax, if not paid in or remitted into Thailand within the same calendar year it is received'

I often hear this stated, but haven't yet seen a link to an authoritative Thai source that confirms this. Anybody have a link? Preferably to rd.go.th and preferably in Thai.

I'm happy to follow the big accountants advice:

https://www.pwc.com/th/en/publications/2013/thai-tax-2013-booklet.pdf

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/PA_ES_Content_Mgmt/content/hsbc_expat/pdf/en/global_tax_navigator/going_to_thailand.pdf

For rd.go.th source (though not Thai) - http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

"Assessable Income", from my understanding applies to income in the tax year under assessment - if that money is remitted in the following tax year it is not 'assessable income', it's savings.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/PA_ES_Content_Mgmt/content/hsbc_expat/pdf/en/global_tax_navigator/going_to_thailand.pdf

"Assessable Income", from my understanding applies to income in the tax year under assessment - if that money is remitted in the following tax year it is not 'assessable income', it's savings.

I think your interpretation of "assessable income" may be a bit dubious.

However, your links rather prove my point: The Revenue Department link does not say that if you defer receiving income from abroad into the next tax year it's tax free. Only secondary sources say this. If it's true, surely there must be a primary Thai source to confirm this.

I think your interpretation of "assessable income" may be a bit dubious.

However, your links rather prove my point: The Revenue Department link does not say that if you defer receiving income from abroad into the next tax year it's tax free. Only secondary sources say this. If it's true, surely there must be a primary Thai source to confirm this.

If income is classified as income in the subsequent tax year to which it is earned, then by that logic, any income in a given year would continued to be classified as income in every tax year forever.

Think about it - if income is subject to 'consideration' for tax in one year, why would it be subject to it again in a subsequent year?

I think I'd rather trust PWC, KPMG and Deloitte, given that they advise multinationals on exactly this field of legislation.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I often hear this stated, but haven't yet seen a link to an authoritative Thai source that confirms this. Anybody have a link? Preferably to rd.go.th and preferably in Thai.

this "exclusion" existed till about 2½ years ago in government publications. not anymore nowadays! but "no income tax on remittances from abroad" is still practised.