Booze banned during Loy Krathong festival

Tywais

The authorities, experts at ruining everyone's fun, have decided to ban booze sales in areas where the Loy Krathong festival will be celebrated.

Citing that good old excuse "public safety", officials are taking the step for next Wednesday's festival, where volunteers will patrol the festival to make sure no one sneaks in contraband booze, according to Bangkok Post.

The decision to ban alcohol and control other dangerous items like balloons and floating lanterns during the festival was taken by the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department.

I'll tell you what's a disaster - taking away our alcohol. #freeouralcohol

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/20/booze-banned-during-loy-krathong-festival

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok November 20, 2015

Again the old line "where people will be celebrating" which leaves it up to police discretion.All the riverside restaurants will be jam packed as usual so does that mean no alcohol

will be allowed to be consumed ? Expect a clarification shortly.

What is the big deal if drinking alcohol is not allowed for one evening near a few areas reserved for floating krathongs, just dont go to those areas if you cannot celebrate a family religious event without drinking alcohol. It is not banned all over the city.

What is the big deal if drinking alcohol is not allowed for one evening near a few areas reserved for floating krathongs, just dont go to those areas if you cannot celebrate a family religious event without drinking alcohol. It is not banned all over the city.

Don't understand what religion has to do with someone floating a krathong across a lake in Sukothai a few centuries ago. Considering it is not even deemed as a holiday, it is just another step to bring happiness back to Thais through restriction.

Ask any bar or restaurant owner in the areas of festivities.

Please be careful Tywais....... you wouldn't want the anti Thai Bashers group to get down on you....you know the ones who are so mentally insecure that if you don't dot the " i " when writing "Thai " will accuse you of Thai Bashing. Some of these folks are so insecure mentally that the only way to get recognition is to scream Thai Bashing no matter what you write. So please don't rile those on the shaky mental platform with the carters little farter starter posts or we will be covered with a fresh batch from those brains who reside in the south end of a north bound mule.

Please be careful Tywais....... you wouldn't want the anti Thai Bashers group to get down on you....you know the ones who are so mentally insecure that if you don't dot the " i " when writing "Thai " will accuse you of Thai Bashing. Some of these folks are so insecure mentally that the only way to get recognition is to scream Thai Bashing no matter what you write. So please don't rile those on the shaky mental platform with the carters little farter starter posts or we will be covered with a fresh batch from those brains who reside in the south end of a north bound mule.

The puritans have taken over the asylum!

Welcome to the land of the Thailiban.

Without a large and consistent police/army present I just cannot see this working out at all.

Also a bit of mixed messages that big crowds expected, (per TAT) as long as you do lanterns on X days, within X hours, within X zone, do not drink XXX, and are home in bed (preferably with ones own spouse or significant other) by XII.

When they enforce helmets, speeding, drunk driving, crosswalks etc etc you might actually see less "safety" issues (the pretext for this farce)....what is the fatality/injury rate for Loy Kratong vesrses any of the previous.

Hopefully ( I like to kid myself) this is just to enable polcie to move on individual trouble makers and have a legal basis to do so....so if drinking with no trouble then no problem (hopefully). Delusional of me perhaps......

It is quite something to see highly educated, scrupulous and well-connected Thais taking back their country and moulding it as they see fit.

With less than 40% of Thais having more than a Grade 4 education and personal/household debt at record highs, this is going to be a cake-walk for those driven to be kingpins.

Can someone explain to me why criticising autocratic, unelected tools, who make arbitrary rules when they feel like it, is "Thai bashing".

Edited by Chicog