New rules about driving license form January 2016

nasa123

I have had a drivers licence here for 14 years, so I have twice renewed the 5 year licence. I can only say that the procedure each time was totally different, and a friend just renewed his last week and his procedure was different to any of mine... so yes, thing change and nothing can be taken for granted.

However 8 hour schooling cannot work, imagine the effort involved and the time it would take as you cannot have 8 hours schooling in one day.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend of mine forgot to renew his bike licence om time and had to go through this stuff. I read the questions which he downloaded on line, some of them do not make sense at all. I am not sure that whoever did the translation to english knew enough english to do the job.

if this is true than the road ways will be practically empty! thais taking an 8hour test? in your dreams. what about the ones that can't read? if this law does go into effect the boys in brown will have a field ay collecting roadside bribes! more so than now!

Or people driving without a license will be on the increase :)

Edited by JoeW

He said he renewed his licence. Unless you can do that at 7/11 now then he was at the Land transport office. They are the ones that issue DL's so official. No?

You can renew your licence at 7/11?

Yes along with your 90 day report cheesy.gif

You can also get your retirement visa and get married now at certain 7/11 stores.

I have had a drivers licence here for 14 years, so I have twice renewed the 5 year licence. I can only say that the procedure each time was totally different, and a friend just renewed his last week and his procedure was different to any of mine... so yes, thing change and nothing can be taken for granted.

However 8 hour schooling cannot work, imagine the effort involved and the time it would take as you cannot have 8 hours schooling in one day.

Not quite sure what you want to say?

Maybe it was not a full 8h, but it is an almost full day lecturing/video watching that takes places already.

Two instructors. One in the morning, one in the afternoon (policeman in full gala).

Experienced in July.

Its sooo exciting:

post-99794-0-46437000-1448245224_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

You can buy an International Drivers License on line and avoid that problem.

Also I doubt that will apply to renewing a Thai License for a foreigner.

An International Licence needs to be purchased in your home country and accompanies your valid DL for that country allowing you to drive internationally for a specified time of normally 12 months. Buying on line at costs Ive seen advertised 2-3K baht are worthless pieces of plastic.

i faxed my application and copy of DL to AAA in america and they mailed me a REAL international licence which i used to get a thai DL with no video or test questions just the 3 seated tests.

if this is true than the road ways will be practically empty! thais taking an 8hour test? in your dreams. what about the ones that can't read? if this law does go into effect the boys in brown will have a field ay collecting roadside bribes! more so than now!

Not in the short term, it is only 12 years since the lifetime licence was discontinued, still a large percentage do not have to renew.

Source please (maybe there is).

The rules have already been changed (was it this year or end of last year?) to 50 questions, 45 to be correct, 90%.

I had to sit for a whole office day in a morning and afternoon session to listen to lengthy lectures and watching a boring video.

So the 8h sit in does not sound like new to me.

Theory test next morning.

Had 47 correct, passed.

That was in July this year (2015) for motorcycle license.

100 questions, 95 correct? The Thais already have to struggle hard to match the 45 q. (90%) limit.

And the test duration would reach an unbearable length.

As far as I remember they have already up to 2 (!) h for the 50 questions?

Just checked: the last change to 50 q. with 45 correct was on June 1st, 2014.

BTW: for Thais there is a pool of 1000 (!) questions from which 50 are selected for the test.

In English the pool consists of only 90 (!) questions.

attachicon.gif50q.jpg

Like a say from January 1. 2016. NEW ROULS. They tell every Farang and Thai last day (when we se this movie we se every time we want new license) , from next year it`s be more strict and difficult to take Driving license in Thailand, and if you forget to renew you must take the school and new test, what more can a say.

Nothing new. And I will bet you that 'if you forget you have to resit' only applies if you forget 1year plus.

No. I renewed my 5 year licence a couple of months ago and my DLT office made a point of informing me that from now on, if you forget to renew your licence before the expiry date, then you will indeed have to reset the test in full. You can renew it up to 3 months in advance.

So the source of information is coming from the DLT. I live in Roi Et.

Don't know anything about a new test being introduced though

if you forget to renew your licence before the expiry date, then you will indeed have to reset the test in full.

It would surprise if such a change has gone into effect without an echo in the forum.

Until more confirmed information I stick to the central DLT website.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

1) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 1 YEAR

- TAKE A THEORY TEST

2) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 3 YEARS

- TAKE A THEORY TEST AND PRACTICAL TEST

Also the Thai version does not show anything different:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3485:2012-09-11-05-04-16&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

Three months in advance is consistent with the text on the Thai language website (not shown in English).

Will be back in this thread in 2 years when I have to renew/exchange my temporary motorcycle license and in 2018 when my 5 year license is due for renewal wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

They have already enforced these rules as of three months ago in my province, in central Isaan. Everybody takes the class.

However, locals tell me they can avoid all the hassle for 500B shoved under the table.

Somethings never change, even if rules do.

He said he renewed his licence. Unless you can do that at 7/11 now then he was at the Land transport office. They are the ones that issue DL's so official. No?

You can renew your licence at 7/11?

And pigs fly too. That was an April fool's joke. Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Initially, can at 'farang' show his current driver and motorcycle licence from his country and be issued with a Thai equivalent at this present time? Or do you have to do a test here.....

I used my proper UK license to get my toy Thai one., but that was more than 5 minutes ago, so you'd need to go and ask your local office to see what the flavour of the week is.

Please state your source. There have been changes implemented recently already.

I renewed my driver's license yesterday in Phuket (5 years) and then they informed all Farang about the new rules from January 2016.

As if you forget and renew your driving license then you must at school 8 hours and a test of 100 questions and where you MUST have 95% correct crying.gif , but remember you can renew the driver license 3 months before it expires, i do that last day to. wai2.gif

Here on Koh Samui they would not let me renew my drivers licence until it had run out ,then earlier this year I had to renew my passport went to the drivers licence as my licence has my old passport number on it I asked if I could have a new one as it still has 5 years to run they told me this was not possible and that I should carry both my old and new passport around with me , they even put an elastic band around both my passports and handed it back to me !!!!! AMAZING THAILAND !

You can apply for an IDP at the land transport department of all provinces. A few years ago tyou had to go to Bangkok to do so.

BTW, what's so difficult to obtain a Thai drivers license? With, or without a test.'

There're so many foreigners who believe that they can use their dl from their country of origin, but complain about Thais not having one?

I've just renewed mine and I also had to watch the boring movie for about 90 minutes, do the eye and reaction test for pregnant hamsters.

The International Drivers Permit is not valid in the country that you purchase it. Yes, if this is your home country you can obtain one here, but you cannot use it here. That is fact.

An International Licence needs to be purchased in your home country and accompanies your valid DL for that country allowing you to drive internationally for a specified time of normally 12 months. Buying on line at costs Ive seen advertised 2-3K baht are worthless pieces of plastic.

The international license can be purchased online also

I renewed my driver's license yesterday in Phuket (5 years) and then they informed all Farang about the new rules from January 2016.

As if you forget and renew your driving license then you must at school 8 hours and a test of 100 questions and where you MUST have 95% correct crying.gif , but remember you can renew the driver license 3 months before it expires, i do that last day to. wai2.gif

I did my driving license 3 days ago, and after doing the normal eye /brake tests, i was put in a class room and did listen to a policeman talk about all the road rules for 2 hours and then we had a 1 hour break then back to the class room for another 2 hours, next day was another 2 hours, and then we were given a plastic card with a chip on it we had to insert into computer and do the test questions, 50 for the car and 50 for the motorbike, we had to get 45 right for each test, when we passed we were taken to a driving test area, where we had to ride the bike around a curcuit, then the car test which involved a reverse parallel parking , i was told this is the tests now for any one who does not renew in time.

I did my driving license 3 days ago, and after doing the normal eye /brake tests, i was put in a class room and did listen to a policeman talk about all the road rules for 2 hours and then we had a 1 hour break then back to the class room for another 2 hours, next day was another 2 hours, and then we were given a plastic card with a chip on it we had to insert into computer and do the test questions, 50 for the car and 50 for the motorbike, we had to get 45 right for each test, when we passed we were taken to a driving test area, where we had to ride the bike around a curcuit, then the car test which involved a reverse parallel parking , i was told this is the tests now for any one who does not renew in time.

Here in Phuket we look at 1 video about 1 hour ++ sometime,and the brake test :) but the computer test are the same and driving test. But from January 2016 it`s new rules 8 hours school and then 100 questions and you must have 95% right, so don`forget to renew your driving license you can renew 3 month before expire Date.

Phuket: Big changes made to driving test system

With a huge backlog of people wanting their driver licences renewed, and with an eye on improving road skills, the Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) is farming out driving tests to a private driving school, the Chotima Driving School on Phra Phuket Kaew Rd.

The new system is part of a national initiative to reorganise and improve driving skills and driving tests while at the same time reducing the burden on PLTO staff.

As of Monday (January 5) all applicants for driving tests must be able to show that they have taken some form of classroom and practical training in how to drive. Failing this, they will not be allowed to register to take the test.

Learner drivers are now able to take lessons and then also take the test at the Chotima School. The test will be identical to the one set at the PLTO. If they pass, they can then take the certificate issued by Chotima to the PLTO and receive their shiny new license.

Learner drivers can also do classroom and practical training in driving at four of the island’s colleges: Rajabhat University, the Polytechnic College, the Technical College, Thalang Technical College, and the Skill Development Centre.

But they will not get the full certificate entitling them to a license.

Instead, after four hours of training they will get a “proof of completion” document which they can take to the PLTO and apply for a license. Unlike graduates of the Chotima School they must still take the driving test at the PLTO.

By farming out the tests, the PLTO staff are now able to reduce the time they spend on new drivers from five days a week to three, giving them more time to work on the backlog of renewals.

Jaturong Kaewkasi, the PLTO’s Chief Adviser, told The Phuket News, “We want to increase the number of renewals we handle each day from 50 to 100.”

He added, “This is a national initiative of the Transportation Department because the Department wants people to be trained, to learn and to practice before getting licences.”

Now, anyone wanting to take the driving test at the PLTO must be there for registration between 8 and 9am on Monday, Thursday or Friday. Only 70 people will be processed per day. The test takes two full days to complete.

Registration for licence renewals is open from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 1pm. Currently, no more than 50 people a day will be registered.

For more information contact the PLTO at 076-214 930. For the Chotima School call 076 612 661 or visit facebook.com/chotimadrivingschool.

They have already enforced these rules as of three months ago in my province, in central Isaan. Everybody takes the class.

However, locals tell me they can avoid all the hassle for 500B shoved under the table.

They should be the last ones to be avoiding ANY form of tuition.

These are changes implemented at the beginning of this year, 2015.

You claim the system changes (again) in 2016, so again the question, please show a source for that.

Three duplicate posts - and a quoted reply - removed.

Please use Arial size 14 font as per this forum rule -

Forum Netiquette

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

These are changes implemented at the beginning of this year, 2015.

You claim the system changes (again) in 2016, so again the question, please show a source for that.

OK you se in January 2016. End of the case.

OK you se in January 2016. End of the case.

95% pass rate on 100 questions is not going to happen. here in the USA I have moved a lot and have had licenses in several states: Rhode Island, Florida, Alabama, California for example. Had to take the tests and nobody required 95 % passage. 80% I think is reasonable and was required. Are the thai driver exams going to be in English for farang?