Rayong Province Pronounced Disaster Zone

george

Rayong pronounced disaster zone

Rayong - The eastern seaboard province of Rayong was pronounced a disaster area Friday after days of continuous heavy rain caused floods in many villages, particularly in Wang Jan and Klang districts.

Governor Sunthorn Ratanawaraha said the floods destroyed crops and farmlands.

-- The Nation 2006-10-06

I drove back from Bangkok to Chanthaburi this afternoon – bad move. Chanthaburi has been badly hit by floods and pretty much the whole city center is severally flooded. I managed to drive to the city center but couldn’t reach my house which is on the other side of the city. I had to park my car at high ground and then wade through chest high water to a local hotel.

Huge number of houses has been flooded causing vast amount of damage. They predict more rain the coming few days which is really bad news.

Tompa,

I hate that they spell it Klang,

It is pronounced Gleang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lets all go off to that new airport Su-varn-a-bhu-mi. Try pronouncing that to a taxi driver and hoping you get to suwwanapoom Airport!

Maybe the people of Rayong have other matters on their mind at the moment.

FYI, it is due to tranliteration from Thai script - if you could read Thai then you would understand that...

And lets all go off to that new airport Su-varn-a-bhu-mi. Try pronouncing that to a taxi driver and hoping you get to suwwanapoom Airport!

Maybe the people of Rayong have other matters on their mind at the moment. My best wishes to those in need

FYI, it is due to transliteration from Thai script - if you could read Thai then you would understand that...

So are you saying that the Thai transliteration is acceptable?????

I have a friend who was actually caught out by that very problem. He was looking for a place called Klang and turned up to be an hour late for his job. If my girlfriend (Thai) had spelt it Gleang he would have been there in good time.

As it happens I can actually read Thai script and I am in the process of writing a book attempting to standardise the transliteration of Thai.

You sound very Thai in your poor excuse of "it is due to transliteration from Thai script". Yes it is but it is due to really bad transliteration of Thai script.

I wonder if that's what you would tell your Mother whens shes in a Taxi in Bangkok lost - oh don't worry Mum its just the way they do thing here.

Why would you assume that I can't read Thai, do you consider yourself to be the only farang in Thailand with the skill????

Wouldn't Glaeng be better than Gleang? Prefer Klaeng myself.

I was thinking of taking a trip out to Chantaburi for a few days next week. Looks like I ought to postpone that.

Well I spelt it Gleang so that's OK :-) But Kleang???

Gor Gai (ก) is a f***ing G! Thats the name of my book (maybe loose the f***ing) I have conducted research in this area and out of 30 ferang I tested this on, only one of them spelt the word Gwang (กวาง) with a K, all other 29 spelt it with a G. The sound produced by a gor gai is just so much closer to a K its unbelievable

Oh, and its Jantaburi!!! (phonetically, I know they spell it Chantaburi but a jor jan (จ) is again, blatenly a J) (I conduted the same research with ก ค จ ช ต ด ป บ พ)

Maybe the people of Rayong have other matters on their mind at the moment. My best wishes to those in need

FYI, it is due to transliteration from Thai script - if you could read Thai then you would understand that...

So are you saying that the Thai transliteration is acceptable?????

I have a friend who was actually caught out by that very problem. He was looking for a place called Klang and turned up to be an hour late for his job. If my girlfriend (Thai) had spelt it Gleang he would have been there in good time.

As it happens I can actually read Thai script and I am in the process of writing a book attempting to standardise the transliteration of Thai.

You sound very Thai in your poor excuse of "it is due to transliteration from Thai script". Yes it is but it is due to really bad transliteration of Thai script.

I wonder if that's what you would tell your Mother whens shes in a Taxi in Bangkok lost - oh don't worry Mum its just the way they do thing here.

Why would you assume that I can't read Thai, do you consider yourself to be the only farang in Thailand with the skill????

I only assumed you couldn't read Thai as it's a very common thing for non-thai readers to say - I agree it's a messed up system, but as you know - there is method in the madness...

Should my mother come to Bangkok I would ensure she'd never have to take a taxi on her own.

Finally, my Thai reading skills are so poor that Trading Standards could sue me for calling them a skill!

EDIT: This is completely off-topic, it has nothing to do with the terrible events in Rayong - so this is my last word.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

Gor Gai (ก) is a f***ing G! Thats the name of my book (maybe loose the f***ing) I have conducted research in this area and out of 30 ferang I tested this on, only one of them spelt the word Gwang (กวาง) with a K, all other 29 spelt it with a G. The sound produced by a gor gai is just so much closer to a K its unbelievable

Well you are going to have a problem with your book if you base it upon the perceptions of Farangs who hear kor kai (ก) as closer to a /g/ sound than to its true phonetic self as an unaspirated, unvoiced velar consonant. You need to get yourself more educated about linguistics and the Thai language before youn write a book that as currently proposed might better be titled: Thai for the Seubeu Farang, Gor Gai (ก) is a f***ing G.