Muslims In Power? What Effects On Buddhism?

thaibebop

I am not fully knowlegdeable on what is occuring in the government right now, but I know that Muslims are having a profound effect on what is happening. I feel that what has been done lately is a good thing. So, I am wondering if this will mean Thai people will view Muslims in a different light and what effects a positive view of Muslims in power within the goverment and working with the King will mean for Thai Buddhism?

I am not fully knowlegdeable on what is occuring in the government right now, but I know that Muslims are having a profound effect on what is happening. I feel that what has been done lately is a good thing. So, I am wondering if this will mean Thai people will view Muslims in a different light and what effects a positive view of Muslims in power within the goverment and working with the King will mean for Thai Buddhism?

One of the truly wonderful things about Thais (at least the ones I know) is they really look at all their fellow Thais as part of their greater family(even though they may ridicule each other sometimes); Muslims included. Most Thai I know assume "outside agents" are creating the ongoing strife in the south, and more than anything they wish for a unified Thailand, which they believe their Muslim cousins wish for also.

One of the truly wonderful things about Thais (at least the ones I know) is they really look at all their fellow Thais as part of their greater family(even though they may ridicule each other sometimes); Muslims included. Most Thai I know assume "outside agents" are creating the ongoing strife in the south, and more than anything they wish for a unified Thailand, which they believe their Muslim cousins wish for also.

Thanks for the reponse. :o

I agree with Lanna's analysis, I live in a small Muslim village that is quite integrated with the local Buddhists and, according to my husband, this used to be common in the deep south as well. The general opinion seems to be that outside influences have been stirring up trouble and Thaksin's responses aggravated the problem and upset local Muslims. I believe that most Buddhists feel that reconciliation is a good thing and if the current man in charge is willing to talk, then that will help, regardless of whether or not the man at the top is Muslim or not.

Islam and Buddhism have long co-existed peacefully in the south, even in Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, where you find, for example, Buddhist monasteries designed to resemble Sumatran mosques and thus blend in with the local culture.

The causes of the unrest in southern Thailand are multiple, not the least of which was the upsetting of the balance of power over organised crime in three of the four southernmost provinces when Thaksin put the national police in charge of security instead of the army. The police disrupted stable, long-running 'arrangements' between the RTA and local godfathers.

'Outside agents' promoting Islam (including wahabi Islam) have been in Thailand for decades and have been active in central Thai Muslim communities such as Bangkok and Minburi as well, also in northern Thailand, eg, Pai. They hail mainly from Jordan and Pakistan and include ethnic Thais who have been trained in these countries. Moderate Muslim Thais have largely ignored their efforts to 'recruit', even shunned them. My wife, who was raised by a Muslim father and Buddhist mother, remembers how people in their community (a Muslim area of Sathu Pradit, BKK) would close the doors and shut the windows when the dawahs (Muslim missionaries) showed up to preach and recruit in her neighbourhood 20+ years ago.

The Pattani separatist movement dates back to at least 1959 but they have never had much to do with the dawahs from Jordan and Pakistan, or with modern radical Islam (eg wahabi-ism). According to my sources it's not the dawahs or other outside agents (no connection with JI or Al-Q either) directing the violence in the south but rather mafia using Islam as a front.

According to an acquaintance (himself a Muslim from Krabi, now in a relatively high BKK post and an assistant to Gen ) of mine who was in charge of the RTA command in the pre-Thaksin/TRT south,local mafiosos in Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat began encouraging militant foreign and Thai dawahs after Thaksin came to power, to try and unsettle the region, embarrass and hopefully topple Thaksin/TRT, the ultimate objective being to get the police out and the army back in. It seems now they have to their wish. But the question remains, will they be able to contain the fire they started?

To address the OP, I assume you're referring to the fact that the general in charge of the recent coup, Sondhi Boonyaratkalin, is Muslim? I don't think his religion will have much bearing on the overall picture, not even in the deep south. The balance of power in the deep south should be restored whether the army is led by a Muslim, Buddhist, etc. One hopes that southern Muslim Thais will have a better perception of the government now, but I don't think that's necessarily a given. It's encouraging that he is initiating talks with southern rebel groups.

According to my sources it's not the dawahs or other outside agents (no connection with JI or Al-Q either) directing the violence in the south but rather mafia using Islam as a front.

I know this isn't Buddhism related, but it is interesting and I enjoyed reading your perspective.

I've been told by two different generals I know, from two differnt branches of the service, and who don't know each other, that some of the uprisings/violence is funded by Singaporean interests to create general instability in the region so that plans for a Kra Isthmus canal never resurface, which would be DEVASTATING to Singapores economy. Sorry for going OT.

According to my sources it's not the dawahs or other outside agents (no connection with JI or Al-Q either) directing the violence in the south but rather mafia using Islam as a front.

I know this isn't Buddhism related, but it is interesting and I enjoyed reading your perspective.

I've been told by two different generals I know, from two differnt branches of the service, and who don't know each other, that some of the uprisings/violence is funded by Singaporean interests to create general instability in the region so that plans for a Kra Isthmus canal never resurface, which would be DEVASTATING to Singapores economy. Sorry for going OT.

Sorry for going off topic, but it has been suggested that building the Thai Canal would actually bring peace to the southern regions by creating more jobs and improving the livelihood of local Thai Muslims:

"The Thai Canal will solve the problems in the 3 southernmost provinces softly, peacefully and permanently because the Thai Canal will create jobs, income, and prosperity throughout the southern part of Thailand. 3-4 million Thai citizens will move there to start a new generation of businesses by new generation citizens. These citizens will be a force stronger than an army that will protect the Kingdom of Thailand from any influences or obstacles.'

(Lifted from: http://www.thai-canal.org/answer01E.htm#ans5E )

As for the theory that Singaporean interests are actually funding the insurgency, I think it's a bit far-fetched.

It's an intersting topic, which doesn't belong here, in this forum. I hope the mods move it to the appropriate forum where more discussion could be had.

"The Thai Canal will solve the problems in the 3 southernmost provinces softly, peacefully and permanently because the Thai Canal will create jobs, income, and prosperity throughout the southern part of Thailand. 3-4 million Thai citizens will move there to start a new generation of businesses by new generation citizens. These citizens will be a force stronger than an army that will protect the Kingdom of Thailand from any influences or obstacles.'

(Lifted from: http://www.thai-canal.org/answer01E.htm#ans5E )

As for the theory that Singaporean interests are actually funding the insurgency, I think it's a bit far-fetched.

It's possibly farfetched to believe that Singapore may be meddling in southern Thai politics, but I might suggest you do a Google search of "the Malacca Dilemma and china string of perls ". It may add something to the context of the discussion.

"I believe that most Buddhists feel that reconciliation is a good thing and if the current man in charge is willing to talk, then that will help, regardless of whether or not the man at the top is Muslim or not."

insha'allah! i do hope that those very nice and friendly people in the beautiful south will enjoy a normal and peaceful life again.