Bribery hotline for foreign investors

rooster59

Bribery hotline for foreign investors

30273474-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: FOREIGN investors affected by state officials seeking bribes now have more channels to seek recourse after the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission set up a centre to accept complaints.

PACC chief Prayong Preeyajit told The Nation that the centre has opened with a 24-hour hotline (09 2668 0777) and Line ID (FD.PACC).

He said the centre was launched because the Board of Investment revealed many foreign investors were pressured for bribes by officials but had no channel to speedily file complaints. The service would be provided to companies that win tax incentives from the BOI, he said.

Prayong, who is also secretary of the Thailand Anti-Corruption Coordination Centre, said the PACC had asked for Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's approval to open the centre, which will contact complainants and update them on the progress of cases within seven days.

"If probes find officials are guilty of wrongdoing, respective agencies will proceed with disciplinary probes and punishment against the officials within three to four months, then the cases would be finalised," he said.

Prayong said the accused officials' agencies would also be punished if they ignore disciplinary probe requests. Article 44 of the interim charter might be used to order the transfer of supervisors, he said.

Director of the PACC's International Affairs Division Bhumivisan Kasemsook said the economy would not be secure if there was a lack of investor confidence in the country, so officials must not demand bribes or take advantages of investors. This was in line with the PM's policy to rid Thailand of corruption, he said.

The PACC would carry out probes in tandem with criminal punishments, he added.

Bhumivisan revealed that the South Korean Chamber of Commerce chairman, who is an adviser to the South Korean president, recently exchanged ideas with the PACC |and expressed interest in cooperating over the matter.

He said PACC wanted exchanges with over 40 chambers of commerce and foreign investor representatives in order to boost confidence in Thailand - and show that it has effective preventive measures against corruption in place and will seriously probe cases after receiving complaints.

He said the PACC was also ready to expand cooperation with other countries in a bid to stamp out corruption because the problem plagues many countries. So far the PACC has cooperated only with Hong Kong and Singapore, he said.

Bhumivisan said in the past only a few foreign investors filed complaints - partly because the criminal process could drag on for up to a decade.

"This issue is like boiling water bubbling under a kettle lid, which if left unattended could explode. Hence some channels must be opened to release pressure," he said.

He said investors could contact the PACC or the complaints centre, which is equipped with English speaking officials. Information provided was confidential, he noted.

Prayong credited the National Council for Peace and Order for the country's better scores in terms of transparency and foreign investor confidence.

He said the government also sought to help investors by setting a timeframe for state agencies to approve licences, with agencies that breach the timeframe liable to be punished.

He said public sector management was also clearer and rogue officials would be held accountable - with disciplinary probes and punishment expected to enacted within 45 days for mild violations and within 120 days for serious violations. Probes for both violations, however, could be extended to up to 180 days.

Common problems that foreign investors face include difficulties and delays in getting permits to build factories, Prayong said.

Previously, he said, a probe for alleged bullying could last up to two years without even going to the criminal process, but the establishment of the centre should speed things up. And with officials getting punished more often, it was likely that fewer would seek bribes from investors, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bribery-hotline-for-foreign-investors-30273474.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-22

I wonder if this new hotline will be the same as the call number for reporting bad taxi drivers? I tried that number on several instances and nobody ever spoke English enough to understand nor to assist me.

" I have a cunning plan Capt. Blackadder, we set up a system of hotlines to help foreigners but make sure no English speakers ever man the lines . "

It must be a reality TV episode of It's all for laugh gag right? where by the people who received the calls

are cracking their ribs laughing their heads off rolling on the floor when a farang call to dob some one in..

What's next? adopt a ladyboy for a week?

Edited by ezzra

Why is it restricted to BOI companies? Why not for anyone who is a victim of bribe demands by government officials?

Yeah, it should be for every business.

And I can't see the need for manning the phones 24 hours. Nice cushy graveyard shift for a team of nieces and nephews.

How is this going to help me every time i go to the Land office on Koh Samui to get drawings approved and building permit??? I still have to pay or it will take 3 years to get it so they tell me...Or how it this going to help all the People On Samui who want to take a Taxi and are ripped off and force to pay outrages amounts of money to go 5 kilometers??? Much Much more needs to be done to stop corruption in Thailand...

How is this going to help me every time i go to the Land office on Koh Samui to get drawings approved and building permit??? I still have to pay or it will take 3 years to get it so they tell me...Or how it this going to help all the People On Samui who want to take a Taxi and are ripped off and force to pay outrages amounts of money to go 5 kilometers??? Much Much more needs to be done to stop corruption in Thailand...

Next time you go to the land office you film everything with a hidden camera and post the briberyfilm here on the forum.

Sure that works....

" Thank You for calling the bribery hotline. Due to the volume of calls we're putting you on hold and have to advise it could be a long wait. "

" for making a contribution to be placed ahead of the line,please press 1"

Or:

" Thank You for calling the bribery hotline, call to this number from land lines are charged at 500 baht a minute, mobile calls costs vary".

Or

" Thank you for calling the bribery hotline. How much are you willing to pay?"

How about this hotline being used for foreign investors AND local firms. I suspect there are contracts awarded to local firms where money has changed hands and if this is a real crackdown why not cover all of the possibilities.

Just call it the official corruption hotline for all.

Next time you go to the land office you film everything with a hidden camera and post the briberyfilm here on the forum.

Sure that works....

Yes, and then run for your life..

"Thank you for calling the bribery hotline, after the beep please state your full name, passport number, full address and contact number and we will transfer you to an operator."

And don't forget to tell us where you'll be and what you'll be wearing at 10 a.m on Monday morning. Any distinguishing features would also be useful. Edited by mca

PACC had to get the nod from the junta head to open the centre.

What Prayong should have said is, "we had to be sure we were doing things right (for NCPO) rather than doing the right things for foreign investors" !

Little comfort for foreign investors, especially as we're told that BOI revealed that many were pressured for bribes!

Despite the posturing, they are still not talking the right talk. "... order the transfer of supervisors" is not appropriate action where public sector code of conduct is breached, nor is the 180-day time frame for investigating serious violations.

" Thank You for calling the bribery hotline. Due to the volume of calls we're putting you on hold and have to advise it could be a long wait. "

So, is this a service that puts foreign investors in contact with the appropriate official they have to bribe to get things done in LOS?

The BOI are one of the better of the Government agencies. They are relatively farang friendly and efficient in what they do.

I would aim this at Govt agencies like the tax department who are completely impossible to deal with. The problem with concentrating it on a tax office is that will inevitably be big blow back for your company if you did report something. Even accountants tell you not to bother even applying for rebate even if its owed to you, as it will just result in the following year having a full investigation into your company, and they won't stop until they can nail you for something.

They are out of control and worse of all they seemingly do not even understand tax all that much, especially when its put into the global context.

The BOI are one of the better of the Government agencies. They are relatively farang friendly and efficient in what they do.

I would aim this at Govt agencies like the tax department who are completely impossible to deal with. The problem with concentrating it on a tax office is that will inevitably be big blow back for your company if you did report something. Even accountants tell you not to bother even applying for rebate even if its owed to you, as it will just result in the following year having a full investigation into your company, and they won't stop until they can nail you for something.

They are out of control and worse of all they seemingly do not even understand tax all that much, especially when its put into the global context.

They were wise to avoid taxing a number of very rich gardeners and housemaids...