Radio Control Airplanes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i seriously want one of those RC helicopters.. a work mate and i are planning to rig up some small cheap fireworks and have RC battles shooting each other out of the skies! Well not exactly safe i guess.. which is why we've never gotten around to it i guess :o

i seriously want one of those RC helicopters.. a work mate and i are planning to rig up some small cheap fireworks and have RC battles shooting each other out of the skies! Well not exactly safe i guess.. which is why we've never gotten around to it i guess :o

My brother and his mates used to load up gliders with large amounts of lead and spikes, then have airborne dog fights in strong winds on the hills.

The lead made the gliders heavier to do more damage in full steam ahead hits, and the spike would rip off wings etc.

Because you can buy the replacement wnigs for many of these, no big deal to lose, and then replace and fly again.

• 1 year later...
anyone into this hobby? are there any decent shops in pattaya?

Hi,

I fly R/C planes but am still pretty new to the sport having started last Sept. There's quite a few farangs and Thais flying both planes and helis. around Pattaya and there are some shops but if you are an expert, they probably won't accommodate your needs. One of the best stocked shops for planes, helis and cars is the one at the top end of Soi Khao Noi, opposite end to Suk. Rd. Phone no. 0848667972. I'm not sure exactly the opening times but it's best to go after lunch. The shop is the last shop-house on the left before the left-hand bend. About 100metres past the Red Lion. There is even a flying field across the road. There is another model shop on the Suk. Rd. about half way between P. Klang and P. Nua, beach side of road, just about where the U turn as been blocked off. There are at least 2 more places where you can buy kit but they are limited and usually have to order from Bangkok. One is at the Perfect Mansion apt. house just up the road from the Differ pub, sort of behind City Hall. The other is at Soi 14/1 Naklua. When travelling towards Naklua, turn left at 14/1. go to first X rds. and turn left, the shop is about 100 mts. on right. There is a model car track in front. There may be other shops I haven't mentioned here.

There is a fairly good model shop at Bang Saree but it's not easy to find. It is sign posted but the signs are all in Thai. PM me if you want further details. There is also a model shop at Si Racha who deals mainly in big gas planes and another one at Rayong which as yet I've not found.

If you are interested there is usually a good gathering of flyers at the elephant village every Sat. and Sun. afternoons, 3.00pm onwards. The elephant village is the one that is sign posted from the bottom end of Soi Nung Plabwan.

Well that should keep you busy for a while, PM me if you want any more info.

Pete.

http://www.pattayarcflyingclub.com/forum/ They post pics most weeks, very informal and very helpful Thai guys there. There is one guy who makes some nice starter planes PM me if you want details.

Forum is in Thai but has an english section

I also have a budweiser boat for sale with .15 and futaba again PM if you want more details.

Lots of people play here and its great fun

thanks for all the replies, i went to the soi khao noi and had some look on the planes and helis. the owner , k.jim is very accomodating. he also showed me how to use the pc simulator and had made some suggestions on what kit to buy. even offered me a starter kit of 6-channel controller + accessories + basic electric plane that cost about 9.5k baht, reasonable price?

anyway, i'll pay him another visit if the commander-in-chief says yes!

thanks again for the help!!

thanks for all the replies, i went to the soi khao noi and had some look on the planes and helis. the owner , k.jim is very accomodating. he also showed me how to use the pc simulator and had made some suggestions on what kit to buy. even offered me a starter kit of 6-channel controller + accessories + basic electric plane that cost about 9.5k baht, reasonable price?

anyway, i'll pay him another visit if the commander-in-chief says yes!

thanks again for the help!!

There is also a shop near the intersection of #2 Road and South Pattaya Road (Pattaya Tai), across from the school (next to the leather goods shop). I was buying some boots in the leather shop the other day and afterwards browsed the items in the window of the r/c shop. They had a variety of items (boats, cars/trucks, small helo's, etc). I didn't check prices or go inside the store. Looks fairly large and may have a good selection of the things you are interested in.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I fly at a club in Pattaya and there is a wide variety of frequencies used.

72mgz is probably the commonest but also 40 and 35 are used.

Quite a few of us are now using the 2.4 band, mainly Spectrum gear. The advantage being you cannot interfere with anyone else and they cannot interfere with you.

Some of the guys using the other frequencies (especially the Thai guys ) are not disciplined enough to inquire who is flying on what frequency hence accidents happen!

I don't know what they use in r/c cars!

Hi,

I fly at a club in Pattaya and there is a wide variety of frequencies used.

72mgz is probably the commonest but also 40 and 35 are used.

Quite a few of us are now using the 2.4 band, mainly Spectrum gear. The advantage being you cannot interfere with anyone else and they cannot interfere with you.

Some of the guys using the other frequencies (especially the Thai guys ) are not disciplined enough to inquire who is flying on what frequency hence accidents happen!

I don't know what they use in r/c cars!

Can you let us know the details for the Pattaya R/C club ie when, where, what models ie helo. fixed wing, cars etc

thanks

CB

Pattaya r/c flying club:

Follow signs for elephant village from Soi Siam Country Club - X rds. just past driving range,

turn right on Nongprue Rd. towards Soi Nung Plabwan. At eastern end of Soi Nung Plabwan

( Temple ) follow sign post for elephant village.You will pass elephant village on rht. hand side,

after last of their buildings ( shacks ) immediately turn right on dirt track. Follow track for 100

metres, when you pass line of bushes you emerge at flying field. You will see the track leads to a

few out buildings.

When:- The main days are Sat. & Sun. afternoons, weather permitting! The field is open everyday so you

can fly when it suits you.

Models:- Mainly fixed wing planes ( IC & electric ) helis ( likewise ) There is a cement runway although

this is not in too good condition. ( If enough members sign up we are hoping to improve this ) It

is all the same usable and is OK for up to 8 feet wingspan. There is no track for r/c cars although

occasionally people bring them to have a blast about in the grass. There is a lake for model boats.

The club as been there for a few years and just recently the running as been taken over by some of the guys who fly. Membership for 1 year is 1000 baht. which allows you to fly when you want. Casual flyers pay 30 baht. per day. There is a young Thai guy who lives on site, he takes care of the place, cuts the grass etc. There is no food for sale although at weekends there are sometimes food venders and icecream sellers. On a nice afternoon it's a pleasant place to bring a picnic!

If you need any more info. let me know. Otherwise just turn up one Sun. afternoon about 3.30 - 4.00 pm. Everybody is very friendly and only too willing to help beginners or old time flyers.

Edited by monsieurhappy

I went on Sunday and it was a good day. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Good mix of farung and Thai with some very nice model aircraft. I got a lot of good advice and will be back in a week or so - hopefully with a plane ready to trim out and test.

CB

I merged this topic with an older one from Pattaya forum to add additional information

CB

I thought there were some extra posts in this thread that weren't here a couple of days ago!

Anyway, seeing as you were there on Sunday afternoon, you were probably speaking with me amongst others.

I'm the old farang who keeps crashing his planes!

Hope to see you again soon with something to fly! :o:D

I merged this topic with an older one from Pattaya forum to add additional information

CB

I thought there were some extra posts in this thread that weren't here a couple of days ago!

Anyway, seeing as you were there on Sunday afternoon, you were probably speaking with me amongst others.

I'm the old farang who keeps crashing his planes!

Hope to see you again soon with something to fly! :D :D

"I'm the old farang who keeps crashing his planes!" 555555555 well that narrows it down to about a dozen guys :o Are you the one waiting on a servo for your spitfire?

I have been speaking with one of our drivers - he flies R/C helicopters and I am looking at getting a Futaba 6EX which is a 6 channel 2.4Ghz controller. The price is 6,500Baht. He can get a very good simulator program for the Futuba for about 890baht as well. Works for fixed wing (various models) and helicopters.

I went to the shop near the red lion and he could put together a package but the R/C unit looked pretty low quality and was 4 channel. I also found the shop off Pattaya North (took several drive rounds) - I was looking for an actual R/C shop and only spotted the Hurricane model on the wall by chance. He wasn't there but I will be back to speak with him about getting a plane.

I am going with our driver on Saturday and hope to make it to the club field on Sunday.

Thanks for making me feel welcome out there - I will be back and with a plane to fly/crash

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Monsieurhappy, that's really decent of you to take the time to provide all that

info. I'm also looking for a wholesome hobby to kill some time and actually

want a balsa kit. I've seen that shop on soi khao noi, does he have stuff like

that in inventory? The other shops are rather small and the hours of operation

seem irregular. With the advances in electrics, looks easier to get started. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Monsieurhappy, that's really decent of you to take the time to provide all that

info. I'm also looking for a wholesome hobby to kill some time and actually

want a balsa kit. I've seen that shop on soi khao noi, does he have stuff like

that in inventory? The other shops are rather small and the hours of operation

seem irregular. With the advances in electrics, looks easier to get started. :o

Hi,

Sorry I haven't got around to answering you before, our phone lines have been down for more than a week ( no internet )

I don't know how far advanced you are with this hobby but if you want something that they might not stock at the local model shops you could try this click place

Some of us use it regularly and although you have to pay postage and duty on large items you can also save money.

There are other mail order shops in this part of the world but this is one of the best.

There is a model shop at Bang Sarey ( signposted from the main street into town-if you can read Thai ) who offer a wider range of products. PM me if you want more details of how to find it.

The other option is to go to Bangkok where you can find most things at reasonable prices.

You say you are looking for a balsa kit, have you tried building with foam sheet?

Try here some of these plans are very easy to build, even for a beginner. The best advice though is to go to the flying club on a Sunday afternoon and talk to the guys there.

Hope to see you sometime!

Edited by Crow Boy
fixed link

Actually visited that rc shop behind the big-c. It's a smaller place but the Thai fellow there

was helpful. I'd been looking through that Thai rc magazine "rcflyer" and I see they have

numerous shops in the BKK area. I'll just get him to order something for me I think. Was

actually interested in scale warbirds but foam stuff seems to be the dominate thing here,

initally I thought they didn't lend themselves to repair very well but I was told that's not so.

Really do need to go by the flying club some Sunday afternoon just to see what's about. :o

Here's a pic. of the 2 planes I have at the moment although I must admit the little yellow & blue one doesn't look like this now since I nose-dived it!!

Anyway, that was the one I built using those free plans off the net. It cost me 55 baht for the sheet of foam, 2 rolls of tape of which there is more than enough left to build other planes - about 40 baht a roll. A few other things like glue and thin ply.

You do of course need the electrics and I used 2 lengths of carbon fibre rods to strengthen the wings but once bought, these can be used over & over again. What I'm getting at is since crashing this plane I can reuse the parts and build a new one for less than 100 baht. The price including all the electrics, receiver, battery etc. would be in the region of 5000 baht.

While it was flying it was great fun and flew as good as any "bought" one. I've just got to spend a few hours building another!

The Spitfire in the pic. is one I bought as an "Almost Ready to Fly" kit from the hobby shop in Hong Kong. It cost 89 US dollars and includes retractable under carriage. Unfortunately, if I crash that it will cost more than 100 baht to replace!

post-13984-1224076185_thumb.jpg

Yes, exactly. I've seen a number of those spitfires with about 1M wingspan. Whether they're

all foam or balsa/foam construction I'm not sure. Apparently made in China but sold here?

Also don't know if they come with functioning ailerons and if that really has much of an effect

on flight characteristics? The price I saw for the bkk shops was 2,500-3k baht for plane &

electric motor. Which is close to the figure you've given. I'll probably do my share of crash

and burn maneuvers so it might be wise for me to duplicate the practice model you've got.

I have to say prices seem cheaper than the States, we'll see if the stuff holds-up under G's :o

• 2 weeks later...

First post in the forum. :o

I fly small radio control models in Suan Rod Fai in Bangkok, well, at least during the dry season.

A few people gather there on weekends to fly Park Flyers, but I prefer even smaller models, anything over 100 grams of weight flying on a park with children milling around is a no-no in my book.

Not much micro RC stuff around here though, I order most of my stuff from various vendors on the Internet.

This reminds me I have to finish assembling the last 1 gram servo for my next model...

• 1 month later...

That looks a very nice model Peter, look forward to meeting you and watching it fly.

I don't want to dampen your spirits but the runway at the field next to the Elephant village is a little rough for retracts although they are working on smoothing it out. If you can get there early morning or late afternoon Mon/Fri. you will find fewer people flying than at w/ends and it is always cooler and less windy. Sunday afternoon is the best time to meet most of the members but the sky over the field can resemble the Battle of Britain. LOL

Yea I would check it out first for a Sunday and see what and

if any flying rule are applied but will fly mid week for sure.

I will be there on Sunday's to meet up with all of you guys.

Should be good fun to get back in to the flying mode and join

your club.

Many members there on a Saturday.

I can imagine the battle of Britain a bit LOL, sound good to me.