Thai lecturers protest against alleged military intimidation on campus

webfact

Lecturers protest against alleged military intimidation on campus

332-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A group of university lecturers this morning submitted a statement addressed to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha appealing for a stop of alleged military intimidation of free expressions by academics, alleged military interference in university affairs and banning of student activities.

The statement was signed up by 323 lecturers from local and foreign universities. Among them are Mr Kasien Techapira of political science faculty of Thammasat University, Mr Vorajate Pakeerat of law faculty of Thammasat University and Mrs Nualnoi Trirat of political science faculty of Chulalongkorn University.

Led by Mr Anusorn Unnano, dean of the faculty of sociology and anthropology of Thammasat University, the group of about 10 lecturers went to the Government House to hand the statement to the prime minister through an official.

He disclosed that earlier on October 31 the lecturer’s group issued a statement protesting against alleged military intimidation of free expressions on campus and alleged interference in university affairs. But, however, some of the lecturers were arrested and charged by the police of illegal assembly in defiance of the order of the National Council for Peace and Order.

Mr Anusorn insisted that universities are venues for learning and academic exchanges of views on various issues and, therefore, free expressions should be allowed and promoted.

“Closing the eyes and ears of the people through intimidation or unjust powers will only lead to further conflicts,” he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/lecturers-protest-against-alleged-military-intimidation-on-campus

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-23

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“Closing the eyes and ears of the people through intimidation or unjust powers will only lead to further conflicts,” he said. This along with many other controversial actions taken by this government is a means to an end, not an end in itself. The final achievable result (the end) they are salivating over is to become a clone of China.

"Free expressions should be allowed and promoted."

No they shouldn't! How on earth do you expect the country to develop if you give people free speech. People in Thailand should know their place, should not look to "speak freely" and should only express views that are common with those who run the country. Whatever next?

In the everyday realm in LoS, the biggest brake on 'free speech' is in fact the culture of 'face'. This is a million times more active every day than any official repression of free speech. And for those who still don't get it - the culture of 'saving face' is about saving the OTHER person's face, not one's own. So criticising is strongly discouraged and highly anti-social in a broad sense.

Academics can publish - articles, journals and books, and possible to do so internationally. May take time, but would like to see if the circus tries to ban any books on an international level. We've seen this before, with certain books being banned, probably can't quote the titles here, but I am sure you know what I am referring to.

This is cause for concern Intimidation of students on campus or off campus there is a fear that students will start another uprising from some quarters, so they forward planning and hedging their bets on conscription of three hundred thousand extra young people and most will be from campus , you can bet London to a brick on that , perhaps we should start the rumor that the rice , rubber farmers along with the taxi drivers are starting a underground network a prelude to a uprising , the question is will Prayut - O increase the conscription age to 75...........................................coffee1.gif .

Got to the second sentence before I saw the word "Thammasat".

Then I stopped reading.

"Few things are more worthless than a hypocrite and his arguments"

Absolutely John, Absolutely.

Such a pity that you tout yourself as an Englishman and can't even bring yourself to condemn your false idols for such a blatant act of repression.

Take your head out of your ar..

Your no Englishman.

Edited by MiKT

Yea, Yea. Denouncing Academic Freedom, Freedom of Access to Information and Freedom of Expression is a control mechanism. To be fair to Thailand, I once had the President of the Kentucky Community and Technical College tell me that there was no such thing as Academic Freedom. There is control at many different levels. As a retired Academic, I denounce the contol over free access to information and exploration of ideas.

Ok, I know it's ONLY a statement protesting, kinda like someone asking the bully not to take their lunch money. BUT, I see it as a few standing up to the clowns running the circus.
Will amount to anything? Who knows. But at least someone is showing signs of a spine with balls.

Unless of course I am being blindsided with bulls!t and smoke and mirrors... that has happened to me more than I care to admit here in the the land of fake smiles.

Edited by Nowisee

Aah, the good old broadcaster we can trust. So careful to note that the intimidation is "alleged"!

BP reports it without any such pretense.

If Thai PBS is to be so pedantic for the facts then maybe they should also refer to the junta as "alleged" politicians?

'Mr Anusorn insisted that universities are venues for learning and academic exchanges of views on various issues and, therefore, free expressions should be allowed and promoted' How not to agree fully with Mr Anusorn? Ideally that is what it should be, everywhere in the world!

But, what reality is showing is often quite different, and for sure not only in Thailand. Under the disguise(!) of freedom of opinion and speech, how many academics have made themselves guilty(!) of manipulation, of endoctrination, using, and abusing of, young, exalted, hot tempered, ...gullible, intellectual-elites-of-the-future for their own, extremist, malicious, POLITICAL purposes?!

IMHO, one, more like everyone, should do its best to keep POLITICS OUT of universities! Nothing to do with the kind of Government a country is under.

N.B.: In my country, then, it were mostly ultra-left academics, many of brilliant, trying to pull the students they were supposed to teach inside the dangerous spiral of extremism and activism.

I remember a, very active, and highly successfull, association 'for the free Cambodia' (or so), with many well-known members: university academics, up to deans and rectors, important left politicians, artists, writers, etc., oddly quite some of were also active leaders of Amnesty International.

There were many students from Cambodia in those days, most followed those pipers and went back to participate to the so highly praised new dawn of their country, under the Khmer Rouge, only two that I know are still alive today, they were then criticised for not going back, ALL the ones who went are... DEAD!

It took many years for, most, members of this association to admit ANY wrongdoing by the Khmer Rouge, even denying the accumulating atrocious evidence, going on (ab)using of their freedom of speech to defend Pol Pot and his bunch...

P.S.: To 'GeorgesAbitbol' #5: How many ACADEMICS died in 73 and 76? 'Only' their students, maybe?

Thammasat University again showing the way and all kudos to them. Thank you to the courageous and brave academics and students who keep the flame of freedom alive in Thailand.

Oh my! 'Thammasat University again showing the way...' of all places, '...courageous...(till)...Thailand' bunch of overpaid mandarines, where did you study propaganda in fact? In Beijing under Mao? Agit-prop must have been your favourite part...

“...Closing the eyes and ears of the people through intimidation or unjust powers will only lead to further conflicts,” he said..."

Very well put. Unfortunately, it is falling on the ears of someone who has his own agenda and interests, rather than the good of the people of Thailand.

Military and leadership in Thailand are without doubt taking away freedom of speech and even controlling thought. Thats why we here on Thai Vista are not permuted to make reference to what is going on or be banned from the forum. So this is a forum only in name as it does not permit one to speak freely.

Oh my...this protest is exactly how democracy and freedom of expression begins to take form...not a pretty thought for the un-elected power brokers who encourage their henchmen to "get out there and intimidate somebody"...

I do fear a Chinese style military crackdown by this self-appointed government...if they deem the protesters are become a threat to their undeserved power...

This Military government seems to have aligned itself with the Chinese...so using intimidation would be one of their less insidious game plans to remain in power...