• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thammasat rules!!!! wai.gif

Let's never forget 1976:

Murdering thugs, really tough against unarmed kids. The RTA would do the same again given the chance.

Absolutely sickening. In my 20 years in the services I have never seen anything else like it. Travelled to many countries in either conflicts or peace keeping and never seen anything as shameless as this.

You can't have free speech before everyone is perfectly happy!

Ridiculous statement.

Not at all. Maybe you are new here, or only read TVF.

I think you are confused by the English, confused by the precise meaning of that statement.

The statement means everyone must be perfectly happy first, then after that we can have free speech.

So this means no free speech ever, because there will never be a time when everyone is perfectly happy.

Free speech is a key element to having a democracy, and is being sought after by growing numbers of people globally, although just changes can see peaks and troughs, but there is an overall long term increase in the wish of people to move that way. I would argue that free speech should be earlier on the "to do" list, than "perfectly happy" - one is much more realistic to achieve, and arguably a prerequisite to the other.

Discuss the rational case, and don't try to form conclusions about the individual (look up "ad hominem"). Whether I am new or not, or only read TVF or not, has no bearing on the rational case.

You can't have free speech before everyone is perfectly happy!

Ridiculous statement.

Not at all. Maybe you are new here, or only read TVF.

I think you are confused by the English, confused by the precise meaning of that statement.

The statement means everyone must be perfectly happy first, then after that we can have free speech.

So this means no free speech ever, because there will never be a time when everyone is perfectly happy.

Free speech is a key element to having a democracy, and is being sought after by growing numbers of people globally, although just changes can see peaks and troughs, but there is an overall long term increase in the wish of people to move that way. I would argue that free speech should be earlier on the "to do" list, than "perfectly happy" - one is much more realistic to achieve, and arguably a prerequisite to the other.

Discuss the rational case, and don't try to form conclusions about the individual (look up "ad hominem"). Whether I am new or not, or only read TVF or not, has no bearing on the rational case.

I would think he was just being sarcastic. wink.png

Thammasat rules!!!! wai.gif

Let's never forget 1976:

Murdering thugs, really tough against unarmed kids. The RTA would do the same again given the chance.

Absolutely sickening. In my 20 years in the services I have never seen anything else like it. Travelled to many countries in either conflicts or peace keeping and never seen anything as shameless as this.

Then you may have been traveling while wearing blinders.

This and much worse occurs around the world every day.

I think former Thammasart Director Puey Ungpakorn was recently (posthumously) given an "ethics award" by UNESCO. So this protest is well-timed.

A very courageous and leading scholar, Thailand owes this man a lot for shaping it's economic successes and educating it's leading lights. Yet after the Thammasart debacle he was falsely branded a "Communist" by the ultra-right goons and a "destroyer of unity" (sounding familiar?) at he time. Died in exile in the UK.

Thammasat University again showing the way and all kudos to them. Thank you to the courageous and brave academics and students who keep the flame of freedom alive in Thailand.

Oh my! 'Thammasat University again showing the way...' of all places, '...courageous...(till)...Thailand' bunch of overpaid mandarines, where did you study propaganda in fact? In Beijing under Mao? Agit-prop must have been your favourite part...

Bangrak, let's face it, you are an ultra right wing reactionary with a beef against academics.

They had a society run by people like you back in Germany in the 30's and 40's, but it didn't work out.

They were very heavy handed and allowed the psychopaths to run loose in military uniforms.

Funnily, I'm rather a 'left wing' progressist, but realistic and unbiased, and anacademic myself, with huge respect for true 'university'...

But never mind, you guys always know better, isn't it? ...Is it?

Thammasat University again showing the way and all kudos to them. Thank you to the courageous and brave academics and students who keep the flame of freedom alive in Thailand.

u

Oh my! 'Thammasat University again showing the way...' of all places, '...courageous...(till)...Thailand' bunch of overpaid mandarines, where did you study propaganda in fact? In Beijing under Mao? Agit-prop must have been your favourite part...

Bangrak, let's face it, you are an ultra right wing reactionary with a beef against academics.

They had a society run by people like you back in Germany in the 30's and 40's, but it didn't work out.

They were very heavy handed and allowed the psychopaths to run loose in military uniforms.

Funnily, I'm rather a 'left wing' progressist, but realistic and unbiased, and anacademic myself, with huge respect for true 'university'...

But never mind, you guys always know better, isn't it? ...Is it?

What has a massacre of students got to do with freedom of speech? I don't get it. Your right Bangrak, you speak your mind don't let those guys bully you.

I think former Thammasart Director Puey Ungpakorn was recently (posthumously) given an "ethics award" by UNESCO. So this protest is well-timed.

A very courageous and leading scholar, Thailand owes this man a lot for shaping it's economic successes and educating it's leading lights. Yet after the Thammasart debacle he was falsely branded a "Communist" by the ultra-right goons and a "destroyer of unity" (sounding familiar?) at he time. Died in exile in the UK.

This happenned a long time ago, what has this got to do with the OP. The lecturers of many universities not just Thammasat have given their opinion on certain matters and this is what the government wants. It wants everyone to be part of the reform process. If you feel deprived of justice or unfairly judged then pls let the government know. Well done to these lecturers for doing that. Reform will speed up if all take part.

This happenned a long time ago, what has this got to do with the OP. The lecturers of many universities not just Thammasat have given their opinion on certain matters and this is what the government wants. It wants everyone to be part of the reform process. If you feel deprived of justice or unfairly judged then pls let the government know. Well done to these lecturers for doing that. Reform will speed up if all take part.

The government wants academics to give their opinions? Are you sure?

"Meanwhile, at least eight academics linked to issuing a statement last month in which they declared "universities are not barracks" will be summoned by police, Chiang Mai University humanities professor Attachak Satayanurak told the press." http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Junta-charge-ex-police-chief-Sereepisuth-over-TV-s-30273430.html

"Meanwhile, at least eight academics linked to issuing a statement last month in which they declared "universities are not barracks" will be summoned by police, Chiang Mai University humanities professor Attachak Satayanurak told the press." http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Junta-charge-ex-police-chief-Sereepisuth-over-TV-s-30273430.html

Well being summoned and being shot is different don't you think? I'm sure that they were summoned to stop inciting a protest which is what happened last year causing deaths on the streets of innocents. Protecting the people is surely priority here. Lecturers should be aware of behaving responsibly in the fragile peace the military has provided. All Thais understand and responsible role models are essential in helping Thailand move forward to a better democractic system without corruption. Its hard to wait for reform to finish, for elections, but stirring up young people to break the law isn't helping.

Well being summoned and being shot is different don't you think? I'm sure that they were summoned to stop inciting a protest which is what happened last year causing deaths on the streets of innocents. Protecting the people is surely priority here. Lecturers should be aware of behaving responsibly in the fragile peace the military has provided. All Thais understand and responsible role models are essential in helping Thailand move forward to a better democractic system without corruption. Its hard to wait for reform to finish, for elections, but stirring up young people to break the law isn't helping.

You don't consider being summoned for exercising free speech to be a restriction on free speech? Do you consider a call for the freedom to discuss issues and exchange ideas without censorship in an academic environment to be the equivalent of stirring up young people to break the law? How do you expect "everyone to be part of the reform process" given these restraints?

Do you really think this corrupt military is interested in eliminating corruption? http://government.defenceindex.org/countries/thailand/

Do you really thing the military that staged a coup rather than provide security for an election, that suspended the constitution and all democratic institutions, that wasted a year writing a draft constitution only to tear it up and try again, that keeps pushing back elections, etc, is interested in democracy?

You must be ginjag, only he could ignore reality with such stubborn perseverance.

BTW, a secure peace could have been established by the military declaring that it would support a free, peaceful election--Suthep and his dwindling band of minions would have given up at that. What makes this peace fragile is the illegal coup, oppression, and open-ended nature of military rule.

Edited by heybruce

You don't consider being summoned for exercising free speech to be a restriction on free speech? Do you consider a call for the freedom to discuss issues and exchange ideas without censorship in an academic environment to be the equivalent of stirring up young people to break the law? How do you expect "everyone to be part of the reform process" given these restraints?

Do you really think this corrupt military is interested in eliminating corruption? http://government.defenceindex.org/countries/thailand/

Do you really thing the military that staged a coup rather than provide security for an election, that suspended the constitution and all democratic institutions, that wasted a year writing a draft constitution only to tear it up and try again, that keeps pushing back elections, etc, is interested in democracy?

You must be ginjag, only he could ignore reality with such stubborn perseverance.

BTW, a secure peace could have been established by the military declaring that it would support a free, peaceful election--Suthep and his dwindling band of minions would have given up at that. What makes this peace fragile is the illegal coup, oppression, and open-ended nature of military rule.

Oppression? Your joking right? Thailand is a very open country. You can talk about what you want, pray to whoever you want, be what ever you want. The surrounding countries bordering Thailand are not so free with exception of Malaysia. Leave the amateur dramatics at home heybruce your replies are nonsense. Your view is from your experiences growing up in a foreign land and not the view of Thai people. You need to think on the mindset of a Thai and leave the Hillary Clinton speech at home for the neighbours to be amused by.

Edited by Wilsonandson

Oppression? Your joking right? Thailand is a very open country. You can talk about what you want, pray to whoever you want, be what ever you want. The surrounding countries bordering Thailand are not so free with exception of Malaysia. Leave the amateur dramatics at home heybruce your replies are nonsense. Your view is from your experiences growing up in a foreign land and not the view of Thai people. You need to think on the mindset of a Thai and leave the Hillary Clinton speech at home for the neighbours to be amused by.

I reply with five paragraphs, you respond to one word. No answer to "How do you expect "everyone to be part of the reform process" given these restraints?" Nothing on the military's bottom of the barrel rating regarding corruption. No denial that the military usurped democracy and has made scant progress on renewing it.

Oppression? Yes! Detention without charge, censorship, bans on political gatherings, all these are forms of oppression. Because of censorship I am limited in specifics, but there is no denying there are topics that can't be discussed and words that can't be said.

I don't claim to know the view of all Thai people, but I do know many who don't support the junta, though they only say so quietly and in trusted company. What makes you think you are so knowledgeable about what all Thais want and think?

Leave the amateur propaganda at home Wisonandson, you're not convincing anyone.

Please no to Deja Vu.

1973massacres2.jpg

Where are the Thammasat professors on the picture? 'Only' their students on it, hmm, go wonder why, were they hiding somewhere, maybe...?

in case you haven't been curious enough to read up, ...

The Massacre[edit]

At dawn on 6 October, the military and the police as well as the three paramilitary forces began blocking all exits out of the university and shooting into the campus, using M-16s, carbines, pistols, grenade launchers, and even large-gauge recoil-less rifles.[32] Prevented from leaving the campus or even sending the wounded to the hospital, the students begged for a cease-fire even though the attacks continued.[33] The actors in the mock hanging had already turned themselves in to Seni at the prime minister’s offices.[34] When one student came out to surrender, he was shot and killed.[35] After a free-fire order was issued by the Bangkok police chief, the campus was stormed, with Border Patrol Police personnel in front leading the attack.[36] Students diving into the Chaophraya River were shot at by navy vessels while others who surrendered, lying down on the ground, were picked up and beaten, many to death.[37] Some were hung from trees and beaten, others were set afire while female students were raped, alive and dead, by police and Red Gaurs.[38] The massacre continued for several hours, and was only halted at noon by a rainstorm.[39]

The quote is from Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University_massacre

BTW aren't you guys getting a bit hyped up?

PS I vaguely remember that a former PM handpicked by Thaksin stated on television that only one person died. With such backer no one believed him of course.

Edited by rubl

Tthis discussion is walking off into Nazi Germany again. Must be a lack of reasonable arguments.

Tthis discussion is walking off into Nazi Germany again. Must be a lack of reasonable arguments.

No. Many reasonable arguments. You just like people to be oppressed like in Nazi Germany. By the way I thought you were Dutch?

NO. Bangrak is just a troll and you are all falling for it.

Don't feed the troll.

No. Many reasonable arguments. You just like people to be oppressed like in Nazi Germany. By the way I thought you were Dutch?

So, personel attacks are considered valid arguments when someone has an opinion you don't like?

BTW I fail to see what me being Dutch has to do with an sneaky attempt here to link the NCPO with Nazi Germany.

Please no to Deja Vu.

1973massacres2.jpg

Where are the Thammasat professors on the picture? 'Only' their students on it, hmm, go wonder why, were they hiding somewhere, maybe...?

The Massacre[edit]

At dawn on 6 October, the military and the police as well as the three paramilitary forces began blocking all exits out of the university and shooting into the campus, using M-16s, carbines, pistols, grenade launchers, and even large-gauge recoil-less rifles.[32] Prevented from leaving the campus or even sending the wounded to the hospital, the students begged for a cease-fire even though the attacks continued.[33] The actors in the mock hanging had already turned themselves in to Seni at the prime minister’s offices.[34] When one student came out to surrender, he was shot and killed.[35] After a free-fire order was issued by the Bangkok police chief, the campus was stormed, with Border Patrol Police personnel in front leading the attack.[36] Students diving into the Chaophraya River were shot at by navy vessels while others who surrendered, lying down on the ground, were picked up and beaten, many to death.[37] Some were hung from trees and beaten, others were set afire while female students were raped, alive and dead, by police and Red Gaurs.[38] The massacre continued for several hours, and was only halted at noon by a rainstorm.[39]

The quote is from Wiki

PS I vaguely remember that a former PM handpicked by Thaksin stated on television that only one person died. With such backer no one believed him of course.

yes, the text comes from wiki, and given other topics mentioned on the page, I did not link to it.

As for the rest of your post, what are you talking about? Oh, never mind, you're just out for a s'troll.

Please no to Deja Vu.

1973massacres2.jpg

The Massacre[edit]

The quote is from Wiki

yes, the text comes from wiki, and given other topics mentioned on the page, I did not link to it.

As for the rest of your post, what are you talking about? Oh, never mind, you're just out for a s'troll.

Can one voice their opinion without being bullied on this forum any more or are we all trolls?

Please no to Deja Vu.

1973massacres2.jpg

The Massacre[edit]

The quote is from Wiki

Can one voice their opinion without being bullied on this forum any more or are we all trolls?

I don't think that I ever accused you of being a troll.

And I don't do so lightly.

I beg you to tell me what opinion Rubl actually voiced...

Rubl has earned his s'tatus.

The quote is from Wiki

Well, the attempt to link the current government with the 1976 massacre seems a bit overdone. Only needed since most Thais are more concerned with their soaps on TV than with their 'lack of democracy'. Foreign posters to the rescue.

As for my remark on a former PM (actually the late Samak) that was just to help you as some would try to diminish or ridicule the horrors of those days.

Now of course if you think anything which goes against your (professed) beliefs is trolling, you seem somewhat narrow minded.

Loosen up my dear tbthailand

I don't think that I ever accused you of being a troll.

And I don't do so lightly.

I beg you to tell me what opinion Rubl actually voiced...

Rubl has earned his s'tatus.

Now of course if you think anything which goes against your (professed) beliefs is trolling, you seem somewhat narrow minded.

The quote is from Wiki

Well, the attempt to link the current government with the 1976 massacre seems a bit overdone. Only needed since most Thais are more concerned with their soaps on TV than with their 'lack of democracy'. Foreign posters to the rescue.

As for my remark on a former PM (actually the late Samak) that was just to help you as some would try to diminish or ridicule the horrors of those days.

Loosen up my dear tbthailand

there are many many paths that link the current military & military junta to the events of 1976.

That you don't know of them or see them is interesting, but not unexpected.