British passport renewal in Bangkok

On 30/11/2015 at 11:35 AM, DrChopper said:

I submitted my application this morning with a colour copy of my non-o to show residency. I did not provide any proof of address. This was accepted without issue by the nice friendly VFS operative.

In the next booth a cantankerous old man was shouting, bitching and moaning. He seemed to think that him having photos that were the wrong size was the fault of the young lady trying to help him. When she told him he needed colour copies of every page of his passport he loudly asked her three times if she was joking. She calmly told him she was not joking, that the instructions are clearly noted on the website and that he would need proof of address. The moral of the story? It's nice to be nice, and it gets you a long way.

Just a point, acceptance by the "nice friendly VFS operative" is not necessarily the same as as acceptance by HMPO. But I wish you luck.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just a point, acceptance by the "nice friendly VFS operative" is not necessarily the same as as acceptance by HMPO. But I wish you luck.

Just serves to underline the complete pointlessness of the "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" and the resultant hassle and inconvenience it causes to those of us who don't live in Bangkok in particular, I think.

42 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Just serves to underline the complete pointlessness of the "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" and the resultant hassle and inconvenience it causes to those of us who don't live in Bangkok in particular, I think.

What is pointless about VFS?

The point of VFS is that you don't have to travel back to the UK to renew your Passport or would you prefer to do that instead? Do you really expect them to have a office in every town in Thailand just to suit you?

It would be the same if the British Embassy still processed the renewals, the requirements to obtain a new PP would be exactly the same,

Stop moaning about them, they do a excellent job as has been proved by the many posters including myself saying so since they started the service

And no I don't live in BKK, I renewed my PP with VFS earlier this year and made 2 9 hour round trips to do so but I didn't moan about it,

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 2

Previously you applied to Liverpool by post and got the passport returned to your home address.

Before that you applied to Hong Kong by post and got your passport returned to your home address.

Before that you applied to the Embassy in Bangkok and got your passport returned to your home address.

A lot easier than making two journeys to Bangkok.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Previously you applied to Liverpool by post and got the passport returned to your home address.

Before that you applied to Hong Kong by post and got your passport returned to your home address.

Before that you applied to the Embassy in Bangkok and got your passport returned to your home address.

I remember renewing 9 years ago to the BE and I had to apply in person so it was at least 1 trip,

Who is to say the rule about picking them up in person would not have been changed by now if the BE was still doing the service? 

If I am correct you can nominate somebody to pick up your PP for you from VFS?

Edited by darrendsd

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

VFS provides the same document checking service the Post Office offers in the UK. Documents are taken on face value. It is up to the individual to take the responsibility for getting their application correct.

Most people only apply for a passport every few years. We live in a foreign country and life isn't as convenient as being back home.

In the UK, when you apply for a first adult passport you must now attend an interview in person. If you live a long way away from the nearest interview office then that's just the way it is.

Incidentally, I used a Thai driving license and it was accepted by IPS without any problems.

Edited by blackcab

On 29/12/2016 at 0:32 PM, Lite Beer said:

And you still do it the first way in most other countries. The system in Thailand is almost uniquely difficult. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

VFS provides the same document checking service the Post Office offers in the UK. Documents are taken on face value. It is up to the individual to take the responsibility for getting their application correct.

I disagree to a certain extent , when I applied to a UK PP renewal , they did check all my documents to make sure everything was in order .

Even though they were not obliged to do so , they did so .

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

And you still do it the first way in most other countries. The system in Thailand is almost uniquely difficult. 

I would much rather hand my application for a new PP in  officially at an office and receive the new PP back from them, rather having to rely on the postal service 

VPS keep track of the PP application and they will contact you if theres any issues , 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

I would much rather hand my application for a new PP in  officially at an office and receive the new PP back from them, rather having to rely on the postal service 

VPS keep track of the PP application and they will contact you if theres any issues , 

The return of all UK  passports is via DHL (at your cost) not the postal system. I sent mine using the EMS service from my country of residence (4 days) tracked all the way.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The return of all UK  passports is via DHL (at your cost) not the postal system. I sent mine using the EMS service from my country of residence (4 days) tracked all the way.

Yes in a way your right, but the OP was asking about getting his new passport without having to go back to the U.K., if you go through  VFS ( trendy towers, Bangkok) then they let you know when your new passport has arrived and you need to pick it up in person, I have done it twice, once for my son and once for myself and it is a very good service, average time from applying to pick up seems to be about 15 days

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Isnt DHL a postal service ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So what are you trying to say?

did your application arrive in Liverpool in 4 days or did you get your new passport in 4 days.

Edited by Doiger

On 30/12/2016 at 8:52 PM, sanemax said:

Isnt DHL a postal service ?

No, it is a courier service.

So what are you trying to say?

did your application arrive in Liverpool in 4 days or did you get your new passport in 4 days.

it arrived in Liverpool, sent EMS Friday, signed for Monday. And as you know you can follow the EMS with online tracking 

it it was during the great passport screw up when passports were taking months not days so the processing time is irrelevant now.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 29/12/2016 at 5:32 AM, Lite Beer said:

its ok some people when told to jump can only respond "how high". VFS is just corruption western style. If you live in Somali you can do it by post but not Thailand  ?

7 minutes ago, parryhandy said:

its ok some people when told to jump can only respond "how high". VFS is just corruption western style. If you live in Somali you can do it by post but not Thailand  ?

Paying for a service provided isnt "corruption" 

VFS provide an excellent service for a reasonable cost 

Maybe you just want everything for free 

On 30/12/2016 at 1:47 PM, Doiger said:

Yes in a way your right, but the OP was asking about getting his new passport without having to go back to the U.K., if you go through  VFS ( trendy towers, Bangkok) then they let you know when your new passport has arrived and you need to pick it up in person, I have done it twice, once for my son and once for myself and it is a very good service, average time from applying to pick up seems to be about 15 days

its not a good service its no service. If i told you in order to renew your passport you needed to come round my house and hand everything over to me and ill post it for you to liverpool and then later when they sent it back i'd give you a ring and you can fetch it and charge you for this you'd think I was crazy. But because there is a fancy company name and an office building your ok with it ?

seeing as its law to have a passport to travel it should have been etched in stone into law years ago that the  uk government has a statutory obligation to provide a same day or near as damit passport service wherever there is a diplomatic presence and were there isn't  strongly advise against travel. 

The cantankerous old git mentioned earlier was right to be astounded at the ludicrous photocopy requirement but obviously no point moaning at VFS because they serve no purpose. Cheaper and easier to report your passport lost or stolen than photocopy every damn page.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Paying for a service provided isnt "corruption" 

VFS provide an excellent service for a reasonable cost 

Maybe you just want everything for free 

I repeat what service ? there is no service they provide. If i were to stand in front of trendy towers and refuse to let you in unless you gave me 100 baht and some how managed to get that legalised in the uk  would you still thank me if I opened the door for you.

oh and since when is something that is mandated called a service ?

Edited by parryhandy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, parryhandy said:

I repeat what service ? there is no service they provide. If i were to stand in front of trendy towers and refuse to let you in unless you gave me 100 baht and some how managed to get that legalised in the uk  would you still thank me if I opened the door for you.

What exactly are you complaining about - that the UK government has outsourced certain offshore visa and passport activities? Or you don't think much of the service the outsourced entity offers? In some countries the national passport office has outsourced passport activities to their national post office. Outsourcing is a common activity by governments where repetitive clerical work that is little more than following a checklist can be done more cheaply - generally for a per item fee - by a contract agent than by a government employee.

18 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

What exactly are you complaining about - that the UK government has outsourced certain offshore visa and passport activities? Or you don't think much of the service the outsourced entity offers? In some countries the national passport office has outsourced passport activities to their national post office. Outsourcing is a common activity by governments where repetitive clerical work that is little more than following a checklist can be done more cheaply - generally for a per item fee - by a contract agent than by a government employee.

Please tell me why I cant apply by post myself ? what service ?

nothing more than following a checklist is indeed all they do and is a "service" I do not require especially when being forced to travel over 1000km.

This whole discussion is hilarious. Some people were born to be bent over and say thank you afterwards.

Mate comes round my house and says "whaddaya reckon to my paperwork for my passport application". Quickly glances at it and replies "yeah thats awright mate" Throws contents into courier envelope and sends to England. Job done. 

That scenario is exactly the equivalent of the job VFS has just done.

VFS may provide a service to a minority of people who cant follow simple instructions but in this case they are a forced middleman.

Edited by parryhandy

1 hour ago, parryhandy said:

its not a good service its no service. If i told you in order to renew your passport you needed to come round my house and hand everything over to me and ill post it for you to liverpool and then later when they sent it back i'd give you a ring and you can fetch it and charge you for this you'd think I was crazy. But because there is a fancy company name and an office building your ok with it ?

seeing as its law to have a passport to travel it should have been etched in stone into law years ago that the  uk government has a statutory obligation to provide a same day or near as damit passport service wherever there is a diplomatic presence and were there isn't  strongly advise against travel. 

The cantankerous old git mentioned earlier was right to be astounded at the ludicrous photocopy requirement but obviously no point moaning at VFS because they serve no purpose. Cheaper and easier to report your passport lost or stolen than photocopy every damn page.

I guess everyone has their own opinion which they are entitled to.

regardless of what you think it was a good service for me and if I need to use it again I will.

1 hour ago, parryhandy said:

Please tell me why I cant apply by post myself ? what service ?

nothing more than following a checklist is indeed all they do and is a "service" I do not require especially when being forced to travel over 1000km.

This whole discussion is hilarious. Some people were born to be bent over and say thank you afterwards.

Mate comes round my house and says "whaddaya reckon to my paperwork for my passport application". Quickly glances at it and replies "yeah thats awright mate" Throws contents into courier envelope and sends to England. Job done. 

That scenario is exactly the equivalent of the job VFS has just done.

VFS may provide a service to a minority of people who cant follow simple instructions but in this case they are a forced middleman.

As we Americans say "Suck it up".

3 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

As we Americans say "Suck it up".

I;m sure you will be the first one to complain if it is made a rule that you can only renew your PP in your own country and have to be present to do so

VFS and the UK Passport office provide a good service, 14 day turnaround time for my last PP renewal, 2 9 hour round trips to BKK to sort it but I guess some people expect VFS to come and collect your old PP and drop your new one off in person

• Like 1

Just now, SaintLouisBlues said:

What are you basing that on? In particular it isn't true in this circumstance

Notice the word "if" in the sentence, it is a important word in the sentence

My point is you can get a new PP without having to go home to do so and yet people still complain, VFS and your respective Governments provide this service for you which I doubt they are legally obliged to do so (Government) making it a lot easier for people instead of having to go home and yet some people are still not happy

Just now, darrendsd said:

Notice the word "if" in the sentence, it is a important word in the sentence

My point is you can get a new PP without having to go home to do so and yet people still complain, VFS and your respective Governments provide this service for you which I doubt they are legally obliged to do so (Government) making it a lot easier for people instead of having to go home and yet some people are still not happy

Are you confusing me with the poster to whom I was responding?

1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Are you confusing me with the poster to whom I was responding?

No I am responding to your suck it up comment but it also applies to the moaners on here who seem to want everything handed to them on a plate