Good quality Indian + Asian spices - Where to Buy (Small Quantities)

henrik2000

Hi, is there a good place to get *small* quantities of good Asian spices, esp. Indian spices, in Pattaya? The quality should be above what’s easily available in European supermarkets. I would send it to Europe as Christmas presents in (if necessary padded) envelopes. They always praised the spices i sent from India, bought in tourist-oriented spice shops, with myself not able to judge any food quality.

Googling for spice retailers in Pattaya, i found some threads right here mentioning the “Indian store next to the Sikh temple on soi 17 off 2nd road”, but then going on to say that it’s quite empty and useless, most recently in 2013. So i reckon there is nothing else?

Things i’d like to get:

- mild chili powder or dried chili

- mild curry

- cinnamon stick

- vanilla bean

- chili salt (if available ready-made & good)

- anything exotic you suggest that fits into envelope (not dried durian or other revolting stuff) (no fish sauce & other liquids)

If the stuff is the same as in a Euro supermarket, it makes no sense. Would love to send it back just in a envelope, a padded one if needed.

Thanks!

Makro has some of the things on your list, plus a few Thai ingredients that may be of interest.

Look in the section between the vegetables and the seafood - also in the small section of 'foreign foods' opposite the booze (Sukhumvit road branch).

Edit - If I could type quicker I could have got my post in before KittenKong's.

Edited by chickenslegs

If you drive down South-Pattaya Rd., until you hit the lights at 2nd Road; - turn left and then take your first to your left again (Soi 17). go into that Soi about 100 meters and you'll find a very good Indian Store on your right-hand side.

coffee1.gif