Ale Vs Lager

fisherman

what's your preference  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't understand...how can you make porter without toasted black barley grain? I did two batches...the first was excellent and tasted like Anchor Porter from SF. The second had more of a stout taste and wasn't as good. Tutsi does not pretend to have it over the Guiness family...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tutsi,

14 lb. 2-row Malt

3 lb. Brown Malt

1.5 lb. CaraMunich Malt

2.5 lb. Chocolate Malt

All these are Barely, but they have been Malted (partialy sprouted and dried for the right sugars).

A brown Malt is a light toasting.. and they get progressively darker until the chocolate malt, which is a really toasted barley grain... you really can only toast it a bit more (expresso malt)....

when you brewed, did you use an extract or all grain recipe?

used mostly malt extract...the toasted barley was just used for the cooking of the wort...and it was black and greasy sort of like expresso roast coffee beans...it was strained off before fermentation.

On our way. How many bottles produced every year?

Yeah, I gotcha..

Extract recipies are a breeze, but an all-grain recipe give you more control over the brew (like the breweries have). What I posted was an all grain.. so you have to mash it, etc...

lol, you should see the carboy I have to bottle, even after racking it for secondary fermentation, there is still over an inch of trub at the bottom... Porters take so long to brew and ferment, they are definetly a lesson in patience

I'm guessing it should turn out to be about 5.5% alcohol.

I never attempted to mash the barley...all the recipies I saw were for amatuer home brewers and the KISS rule applies (keep it simple, stupid). It is quite possible to produce excellent home brew just using malted barley syrup from the can...nice hops are another question...I would put that nice fragrant stuff on my corn flakes...

tutsi,

I agree, I like extract brewing.. its a quick and easy deal. In fact, I think we're going to brew a nice amber ale in the next week or two and we're probably going to just do an extact brew..

Hopps, I concur... they rock... especially if you can get good fresh hopps..