Double entry tourist visa is gone. What is happening with teachers?

crickets

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say 80 percent of teachers you have worked with, were working completely illegally. but that is now cancelled. Do you know if many agencies are packing up and going home, or are the teachers getting proper visas and work permits?

Hmm, Dr Watson. What's your input? coffee1.gif

My point is the whole non b, work permit and teachers licence issue is difficult and not worth doing for some people here on a holiday for a year. I was wondering if they will decide not to stay.

Your being <deleted> for the sarcasm lost in issan.

My point is the whole non b, work permit and teachers licence issue is difficult and not worth doing for some people here on a holiday for a year. I was wondering if they will decide not to stay.

To be fair, that's sort of what the powers that be wanted. They want teachers to have better qualifications for the job. I'm not entirely certain if the change in visas were to assist in this, but meh could be.

People on a holiday for a year should be able to continue working. Unless you are saying they were without a bachelors degree. In such a case, the government has never been that happy with them being here. A person with a degree and a smile can stay on teaching for at least 2 or 4 years without a problem.

And yes, I'm aware that it's a mess getting legal here. However, I can say honestly I've yet to have a problem. Just a headache chasing shit down at times I won't argue against that fellas.

I personally know a few people that are probably leaving, albeit some of this is due to salaries not moving in 10+ years.

Edited by aarontendo

No problem for a QUALIFIED Teacher.

How can someone be working and on a holiday at the same time ?

And I guess that you are one of these guys complaining about illegal workers in your homeland.....

Those teachers on tourist visas should follow the rules or go home.

Better go home than get caught, unless they want to spend some time in a Thai jail...

Up to them.

Edited by Bujan

To be fair, that's sort of what the powers that be wanted. They want teachers to have better qualifications for the job. I'm not entirely certain if the change in visas were to assist in this, but meh could be.

People on a holiday for a year should be able to continue working. Unless you are saying they were without a bachelors degree. In such a case, the government has never been that happy with them being here. A person with a degree and a smile can stay on teaching for at least 2 or 4 years without a problem.

And yes, I'm aware that it's a mess getting legal here. However, I can say honestly I've yet to have a problem. Just a headache chasing shit down at times I won't argue against that fellas.

I personally know a few people that are probably leaving, albeit some of this is due to salaries not moving in 10+ years.

Someone with a BA degree does not qualify to be a teacher in Thailand.

I know a teacher who is 26 years from Germany on a tourist visa and has banged up most of the girls at his classes in Udon Thani. A Thai would get suspended but a farang gets away with it.

Another Associate Professor at AIT (German once again) has also banged up most of the student girls in his classes. They even had weekly meetings discussing issues we are not permitted to discuss on this forum.

Farang teachers ? Sorry but to much experience in my last 28 years in Thailand, they should be all packing up and let the Thais sort out themselves if it can be sorted out.

The only schools that I know have good teachers are ISB, BPS and a couple of other international schools but no farang with a tourist visa would even get near them.

Edited by MobileContent

Wow if the stats the OP speaks of are accurate nationally then you can't really argue that Immigration is correct to go after them and that the "teachers" are ruining it for law abiding long stayers with legitimate income under 50. Maybe once these illegals are sent packing retiree age limit will be readdresed. Wishful thinking I guess.

The problem is that most of the year holiday teachers are useless. They are here for a holiday not to work. They do not put in the time or the effort. They are too busy partying and enjoying thailand. Let's face it, it is hard to vacation if you are teaching.

The problem is that most of the year holiday teachers are useless. They are here for a holiday not to work. They do not put in the time or the effort. They are too busy partying and enjoying thailand. Let's face it, it is hard to vacation if you are teaching.

But most Thai directors/heads of dept. are not interested in whether the falang can teach or not, Like everything else in this country its all about appearances, as long as they are young, vaguely attractive and smartly dressed, they're happy...

In fact as far as the Thai teachers are concerned, its probably better if they cant teach, as then there is no risk of loss of face for the Thai teachers.. I'm afraid the children actually learning anything comes very low down in most Directors & teachers priorities, And before anyone starts flaming me, I am speaking from personal experience of the Thai education system... Sad but true.

Have you never heard of a working holiday?

I know a teacher who is 26 years from Germany on a tourist visa and has banged up most of the girls at his classes in Udon Thani. A Thai would get suspended but a farang gets away with it.

Another Associate Professor at AIT (German once again) has also banged up most of the student girls in his classes. They even had weekly meetings discussing issues we are not permitted to discuss on this forum.

Farang teachers ? Sorry but to much experience in my last 28 years in Thailand, they should be all packing up and let the Thais sort out themselves if it can be sorted out.

The only schools that I know have good teachers are ISB, BPS and a couple of other international schools but no farang with a tourist visa would even get near them.

Bullshit. Having been a teacher for 5 years in North of Thailand it would have become common knowledge and they would have not taught long. The would have probably been arrested.

Yes and one undertaking such a holiday usually has a VISA which permits working!

http://www.visabureau.com/australia/working-holiday-visa.aspx

A tourist visa in Thailand specifically forbids employment/working !

Clear ?

That's ridiculous....that can happen in isolated cases but in BKK he would be in jail and prosecuted and in Issan he would likely be murdered by villagers. And it is exaclty the opposite of Thais committing the same offense. Bullshsit is called here for sure.

Sounds like folks are going to have to get legal or go home. Good opportunity for the licensed teachers, I suppose.

And I suppose that you're one of them, right? thumbsup.gif

Not that you are, of course, but your remark makes you sound as though you're one of the illegal ones,.

I know a teacher who is 26 years from Germany on a tourist visa and has banged up most of the girls at his classes in Udon Thani.

Ha Ha - Classic Line! Just spilt my coffee everywhere! ( great stuff )

F.J x

Pretty sure that the Immigration Police haven't and that's what counts, regardless of what bums pretending to be teachers call it.

Won't they just switch to 60 day single entry tourist visa? The only thing that will change is that border runs will be more frequent.

This doesn't affect me at all, it just seems like the obvious path to be taken.

Edited by timmyp

The Thai government has announced they want to get rid of two thirds of foreign teachers and

go with Thai English teachers, so this is probably part of that overall plan to get foreign English

teachers to self deport. As it becomes more difficult and expensive to remain here teachers will

simply quit or take Thailand off the list of places they want to teach. whistling.gif

I've worked with a few sketchers on dodgy B visas but never with illegals. Having said that, my three schools in BKK. What happens in the hinterlands may be far different.

I always see totally hokum jobs posted on ajarn and wonder who in the F is stupid and desperate enough to apply (to fall) for that crap job? Wow, people really do take those jobs.

I can't believe there is a level of shitty teachers that is even lower than the people I work with.

I feel so sad for the students and parents. Doubly so if they are trouble makers.

This is where the heinous and notorious reputations of foreigners in general and teachers in particular are fashioned.

I can only hope that things will tighten up. Teaching on TRs is total bullshit, obviously these people should be nowhere around kids, but its very much the schools fault.

Can only hope the contractors without degrees are right behind them.

But sadly, I must agree. There are few Thai that care enough to affect change. It's pretty hopeless. The Vietnamese are going to eat their lunch.

Thailand is becoming very stridently jingoistic. Im feeling little love from govt agencies and media conduits.

Half the Eng classes in Bangkok and 75% outside should be closed anyway. No ones learning anything. Farang clueless and kids, no discipline to learn.

If you have Thai kids in public school, I feel sorry for you. Please know each day I do my best. Visit your kids school, meet the teachers, have your wife voice her opinion if you're not happy.

I'd say 80 percent of teachers you have worked with, were working completely illegally. but that is now cancelled. Do you know if many agencies are packing up and going home, or are the teachers getting proper visas and work permits?

You are so helpful.

How do you spend the rest of your day - pulling wings off flies?

Just for the record and to all persons who do not have degrees:

If tomorrow the govt decided that only a degree in Education would be allowed into the classroom, I would fully understand and be done with it.

Because Thailand has worked teachers illegally and with caveat (contractors) it has given this rifftaff a sense of entitlement.

Sad, no one knows anything about writing, public speaking, grammar...

"We're teaching convo English"

No, not WE motherphucher, YOU. I've got all your writing, grammar, etc... classes you silly irrelevant man. I'm teaching it for you. They don't trust you to do anything but play games sff.

Most farang in Thailand totally void of culture so bringing something fresh to the game is not happening.

If Thailand did not encourage the feckless then they would disappear faster than their final paycheck.

So, all the tatooed, ridiculous haircuts, long sleeved black shirts (hello, I'm Johhny Cash), shortsleeved + tie wearing, shitty shoed, polyester tied, unshaven, pot bellied, drunken and functional illiterate interloper motherphuckers pull it up and get the hell out of dodge.

Edited by Mencken

You are so helpful.

How do you spend the rest of your day - pulling wings off flies?

Agencies do not care. They routinely advertise illegal jobs. If you're clued in they are ez to spot in a flash. The others you can just read into the ad no way you're getting a wp out of that gig.

Let's just say shi+ got real...Thailand got dead serious about illegal workers. Do you think that would change: agencies, schools, etc? No.

As long as demand and idiots that will work for 25-35k.

The deadbeat teacher in Thailand or the poor noob from abroad will take the job, then wham! Trouble.

Sheeeit. The agency will be in business next day, director will be at work. It's only the farang that will face a mountain of trouble.

This govt does not have much to show for its time in office. The illegal farang worker is an excellent target which many Thai men +35 will applaud.

#duh

Edited by Mencken

You can't be on a holiday for a year and work.