Greetings - retirement visa reporting question

Not new to Thailand, just the retirement visa.

86 days ago I went through the process of getting a retirement visa; paperwork, payment, etc.

Today I went for my first 90 report and was told, after much conversation between wife, me and the IO, that I had to go back to the embassy and get another notarized letter, and all of the other paperwork, and do the process again. I'm sure I would have to pay them again...

Since my visa is dead in 4 days and there are no available appointments, it seems my best option is to get another tourist visa.

Somethings not right with this scenario. Is there something that I am not aware of, or didn't do in time? Am I getting scammed?

This was at Nonthaburi.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Where was the visa you have obtained ?

It must have been a non O visa if it was valid for 90 days .

If you are now seeking an extension of stay based on retirement you have left it somewhat late.

You should obtain another "O" visa from Vientiane and then apply for the extension in good time during the last 30 days of the 90 days the visa will provide.

You will need proof of income + the paperwork.

Edited by expatbrit

I get it now.

I screwed myself in time department.

Thanks!

One other question, if you don't kind guys.

I paid them already. Is it there policy to charge people twice and make them get an embassy letter twice?

Edited by onetime

If you are married and want to buy some time you could apply for a 60 day extension of stay. You must do that before the 90 days expires. No financial proof required.

Good point there! Not a registered marriage.

Is there an extension I could get? wai.gif

7 days and I'm good!

Edited by onetime

If you are married and want to buy some time you could apply for a 60 day extension of stay. You must do that before the 90 days expires. No financial proof required.

Good point there! Not a registered marriage.

Is there an extension I could get? wai.gif

7 days and I'm good!

If no wife or children then you can't get the 60 days.

Yes you could get a extra 7 day. 1,900 baht. It's not really an extension, but they give you 7 days to leave the country.

I am not sure if that extra 7 days will still enable you to apply for the retirement extension. Ubonjoe will be able to clarify that.

I get it now.

Thanks!

I paid them already. Is it there policy to charge people twice and make them get an embassy letter twice?

I think you paid 2000 baht the first time for a non immigrant visa.

Now you need to pay 1900 for an extension of stay.

Some offices might be willing to go into their files and pull out the original income letter you used when you applied for the visa, You might want to go back to immigration to see if they will do it.

I get it now.

Thanks!

You paid 2000 Bht for the "O" visa !

An extension of stay based on retirement will cost 1900 Bht and is valid for one year.

A 7 day extension will also cost 1900 bht !

Best take a trip to Vientiane for another "O" visa (2000 Bht) you will need proof of income to get the visa.

Edited by expatbrit

I told the officer that I had already given them the paperwork, and could we just use it again. He wasn't interested. Next time I'll take my wife, instead of call for the translation, and bag a cookies.

TIT Off to Laos...

Many thanks!

Edited by onetime

I told the officer that I had already given them the paperwork, and could we just use it again. He wasn't interested. Next time I'll take my wife, instead of call for the translation, and bag a cookies.

TIT Off to Laos...

Many thanks!

A gentle word !

Displaying an "attitude" especially at immigration will win no friends.

Edited by expatbrit

TIT Off to Laos...

Many thanks!

A gentle word !

Displaying an "attitude" especially at immigration will win no friends.

All gentle words.

My Canadian Embassy issued the letter a second time for free, as it was taken by Lao Consulate on application, they should not have taken it, so like you when I went to get extension in Sakhon Nakhon before 90 days expired, they refused until I produced the income affidavit.

Call your embassy.

I get it now.

Thanks!

"I paid them already. Is it there policy to charge people twice and make them get an embassy letter twice?"

When you applied for the conversion to a non-imm O entry, they would have accepted a photocopy of your income letter. When you apply for the extension of stay, they want to original.

Paying for the conversion and paying for the extension of stay are two separate things.

If you live near Bangkok, you can do an emergency walk-in visit to the US Embassy and get an income affidavit on the same day. It will just take you a lot of waiting around time since you will go to the bottom of the list after all those with appointments. Go to the guard office and explain your case.