A more subdued Loy Krathong in your area?

sharecropper

I just walked up Jomtien beach and it was a very quiet affair. A fair few lanterns, not as many people, much less traffic (hooray), far fewer women in traditional Thai dress, far fewer krathongs being bought and launched (I won't do it as any nice vibe I get is immediately decimated by one of the scavenging tossers a few metres offshore ripping it to shreds every year).

I felt the weight of recent events playing out on the Thai population tonight. What is normally an exuberantly joyous event felt very flat.

I wonder how it was in other areas of Thailand?

you are right, Thais celebrating Loi Krathong on Jomtien Beach tonight were in lower numbers than before. but this is due to the fact that most Li Krathongs in the recent years had correlated with weekends.

What surprise me was the view the low tide offered. The sand out there seems to be gone ! I can remember Jomtien Beach being shallow from the beachhead thru at least 200 meters onwards. Tonight what I saw was the beach was so low from the road level as I have never seen it before

Where has all the sand gone ?

Very quiet south of Jomtien. Hardly anybody on the beach. The restaurant owner said the police had come by and warned people not to do the burning lanterns that float into the sky. I guess a huge fine for anybody caught selling them. Though I did see a vendor on the beach with a bunch for sale!

It was quite lively here in Saphli, Chumphon. The new pier is 90% complete....they turned the empty space into a concert/festival. Plenty of lanterns and people placing flower floats in the water. No police harrassment...large turnout. It did explain why the beach was so empty. Nice views of the full moon, with some light clouds.

I think it would have been bigger if it was on fri/sat/sun.

Now everyone is getting ready for father's day on 5 dec.

Reports from CM saying crazy crowded and insane traffic with so many people that the parades didn't have room/space through the mass of people....We stayed away for the first time in years and are glad we did.....

As they could only launch one night they said the amount of lanterns in the air were spectactular.....3 days worth on one night.....

We made Kratongs and walked to the canal and floated them → a few had fireworks and lanterns & yes....Nice and quiet....We'll launch and do our fireworks at the beach at new years....

Reports from CM saying crazy crowded and insane traffic with so many people that the parades didn't have room/space through the mass of people....We stayed away for the first time in years and are glad we did.....

As they could only launch one night they said the amount of lanterns in the air were spectactular.....3 days worth on one night.....

We made Kratongs and walked to the canal and floated them → a few had fireworks and lanterns & yes....Nice and quiet....We'll launch and do our fireworks at the beach at new years....

Certainly quieter here in peaceful Isaan.. we had an enjoyable evening at the local park & lake.. but the crowds were down.. not so many lanterns.. I wonder if that put people off... being asked not to send up lanterns.. there were still some floating across the sky but not nearly as many as in previous years..

Chiang Mai last night (where we live) was unbelievably quiet, never seen it the same in over 15 years. Normally the entire bridge over the Ping is completely full of parked cars and bikes and you have to go across to Lamphun side, u-turn and then walk half a kilometre to the river.

Last night there were about 5 cars and 20 bikes, there were more food and crap vendors that customers, even my wife was shocked at the low turn out.

What has changed this year? Strange eh.

Traffic was particularly bad outgoing on Mahidol Road. Lots of people at the Nawarat Bridge, skirted it on the scooter but didn't join in. Went back to the condo and floated off a kratong, no wind so conditions were perfect.

Don't know if it was orders from the military or condo security; however, they managed the fire balloons quite cleverly. You could buy as many as you wanted, but they wouldn't wire on the heat source until after 9 pm.

At about 11 pm, hundreds of them in the night sky.

My visting son while filming the kratongs dropped his smartphone in the Ping River, but that's another story.

Perhaps a loss of pride in their sullied country. Across the border things are looking up, at least for now but here a real sense of forboding......and overwhelmed by debt and battling to make ends meet. Men in uniform on their tv screens nightly making them sick to their stomachs. Who wants to celebrate with their fellow Thais.....who they probably hate anyhow.

Thanon Utthayan, between Phuttamonton Sai 3 and Sai 4 (Thawee Wattana, West-BKK), extremly busy, more people than ever before. Very hard to walk trough, nearly impossible for bikes. As there are not much tourists around here, i don't see any change in attitude, Thais still love great festivities.

Chiang Mai last night (where we live) was unbelievably quiet, never seen it the same in over 15 years. Normally the entire bridge over the Ping is completely full of parked cars and bikes and you have to go across to Lamphun side, u-turn and then walk half a kilometre to the river.

Last night there were about 5 cars and 20 bikes, there were more food and crap vendors that customers, even my wife was shocked at the low turn out.

Wow....the CM thread made it sound like a total mad house....Parades blocked couldn't get through the crowd....2 hour traffic delays....Calmer sounds better....

As I remember last year was a little more sedate than the prior year....

Where i live up north, it seemed there were more people than last year.

Unfortunately, there were alos a lot more stealing money from the floats, adults as well as children.

Some floats did not drift 10 meters before they were snagged and robbed!

It ruined the evening for me, but did not seem to bother any of the Thai people or the police watching.

I am thinking about building a few floats with consealed rat traps for next year and watching the reaction of the thieves when the spring the traps!

Here's a photo of a father teaching his son the fine art of stealing money at a religious celebration.

post-147745-0-68729500-1448541558_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii

Wow....the CM thread made it sound like a total mad house....Parades blocked couldn't get through the crowd....2 hour traffic delays....Calmer sounds better....

As I remember last year was a little more sedate than the prior year....

Trust me, Narawat and Ping Bridges and every road in between, on both sides of the river was manic and super crowded as early as 8pm.

The lantern vendors here in Chiang Mai were complaining of low sales.

It was rubbish....

Entertainment consisted of a cutie kiddie contest and a well dressed granny contest.

Mostly listening to a very unconvincing katoey trying to persuade us to be entertained.

Just the kids in the contest's parents happy

Usually much more to see, particularly amusing being the ticket dancing and staggering drunks, fair type stalls and such.

The lantern vendors here in Chiang Mai were complaining of low sales.

Because lantern sales were restricted to a single day and then, only after 9pm.