Unlicensed and uninsured? Tuk Tuk drivers scamming tourists

onlycw

You can imagine how this goes down. Agreed fare - then they pull over somewhere else and demand a lot more...

Now there's no ID, no license plate.

They got a license to rip off tourists in Udon Thani and outskirts? Just wondering.

You can imagine how this goes down. Agreed fare - then they pull over somewhere else and demand a lot more...

Happened to my mother (mid 60's) in a BKK Taxi.

He started punching the steering the wheel and demanding 500b.

He started shouting that he's taking her to the Thai police, she said let's go.

She saw a place she recognized (Victory monument I think) threw 200b on the seat and jumped out at a red light.

Thai scum aren't only located in Udon Thani.

tuk tuk drivers are basically scum who are not bright enough to drive a taxi.

I have come to know and be known by quite a few of the drivers here in NongKhai as I have a tuktuk which I use for my own purposes. Sometimes they have asked me to interpret for them also. They are not all "scum". Many are just normal people looking to make a living. I will admit to not caring for some of them, and also say that some are much less than honest, but that can be said for people all over the world and in every line of work.

What are you talking about? Is this in response to something that has happened in Udon?

.............Thanks for the reply..............!

.......You are talking about Udon Thani not Phuket. Why are you letting your imagination work overtime like this speculating about something that, as far as I know, has never happened in the 9 years I have been visiting and staying there? There is enough bad stuff goes on in Thailand without making it up and scare-mongering like this.

It's good to read the varied responses here. I have been very negative about tuk tuks, after reading a lot of negative comments over the years. But here in Chiang Mai, sometimes they are the only option. And, I have had some good experiences, with good drivers and fair fare demands.

The problem here, as everywhere in Thailand, is a lack of consistent regulation. This would be a good first step. Of course, they should all be replaced with LPG metered taxis or good mass transit, but I ain't holdin' my breath.....

Happened to my mother (mid 60's) in a BKK Taxi.

He started punching the steering the wheel and demanding 500b.

He started shouting that he's taking her to the Thai police, she said let's go.

She saw a place she recognized (Victory monument I think) threw 200b on the seat and jumped out at a red light.

Thai scum aren't only located in Udon Thani.

I hope she left the taxi door open.

I have come to know and be known by quite a few of the drivers here in NongKhai as I have a tuktuk which I use for my own purposes. Sometimes they have asked me to interpret for them also. They are not all "scum". Many are just normal people looking to make a living. I will admit to not caring for some of them, and also say that some are much less than honest, but that can be said for people all over the world and in every line of work.

Be aware that Tuk Tuks in Thailand are legally only to be used for taxi service.

Who would use a tuk tuk anyway? More expensive, dangerous, no ac on hot days. Ever see a Thai person in a tuk tuk? Me neither.

Be aware that Tuk Tuks in Thailand are legally only to be used for taxi service.

Who would use a tuk tuk anyway? More expensive, dangerous, no ac on hot days. Ever see a Thai person in a tuk tuk? Me neither.

I have seen 10 thais in a tuk tuk

Just to clarify:

These pieces of crap are not 'Tuk Tuk's' as Southerners know them. They are motorised 'Sam Lors' (some know them better as TriShaws in other Asian countries). The are tolerated by the BiB but, by local law, MUST at least have Para Bor insurance. We all know that is bullshlt.

I COULD CARRY ON BUT THAT IS JUST A WASTE OF BANDWIDTH.

Generally, people are only driving taxis because they do not have the brains to do anything else.

This does not just apply to Thailand.

Absolutly stupid statement. A lot of university students in europe work part time as taxi drivers because it give a good income!!!

Every tuk-tuk I've used in Chiang Mai has had driver ID displayed. Haven't used them for several years, always agree price first. Have never heard of tuk-tuk drivers demanding more on the way, at least in CM.

I'm a reasonably sizeable falang, so perhaps it only happens to people the drivers think are vulnerable.

Generally, people are only driving taxis because they do not have the brains to do anything else.

You have obviously never seen the knowledge test that London taxi drivers have to take.

Yet another narrow minded comment from your good self

Been here for over 28 Years,.....took hundreds of taxis....maybe a hundred tuk tuk's in the early years,...only a rare few were A*holes....most were decent folks,..My wife and I met some really nice taxi drivers in the years, who gave us there telephone numbers so we could call them for a trip to the airport....

Every second year or so i get in the wrong one, who is a son of a Beeatch.....!!! ...they are the exception.... , Once were we left on the highway outside Savanabhumi airport After we asked him to turn on then meter before we got in, he stopped at the highway and wanted to charge us 500 thb to Sukhumvit.

A other time the Taxi had mechanical problems, stopped on the High way excused himself and asked us to get out. But he did get us a other taxi to bring us to our Hotel.

Still love Thailand,...Best regards, Off Road Pat

Edited by off road pat

If you've never seen a Thai riding in a tuk-tuk, I would say that your experience in Thailand is extremely limited.

True, they don't pay extortionate tourist prices, but they use them routinely in BKK, and especially upcountry.

The tuk-tuks in Nong Khai used to be jokingly called Skylabs, since parts used to fall off frequently, like the satellite of the same name that slowly fell apart in the late '70s. These tuk-tuk are largely air-cooled motorcycle-engine powered, with a small area for passengers and most often, groceries. When last I lived there, they were a standard 40 baht anywhere in central Nong Khai, and used mainly by locals, because tourists didn't have the numbers to support them. When there were tourists, mostly on the train from BKK, it was a massive field day, as they scrambled for the 500 baht suckers rides from the railway station to the border...

The first time I lived in Nong Khai, I had the use of a more substantial tuk-tuk, purpose built, with a water-cooled Daihatsu auto motor and trans, and a large rear songtaew-like area in the back. The catch was that I had to get it running if I wanted to use it.

After a few false starts, caused by cheap counterfeit spark plugs, I got it back in working order, and used to joyride around Nong Khai often.

One wet day, when the wind was blowing, I tried to dodge an umbrella that blew out onto Prajak Road. I was only traveling at 15kph or so, but as I swerved, the wind caught the canopy, and I pulled the handlebar to fast and looped it, right in the middle of the road. Quite a scene. Some friendly locals pulled me out (I landed on my a$$ HARD on the pavement, still inside the cab), righted the thing, and after a quick stop to replace the oil that spilled out, I rode home. No damage to the tuk-tuk, but my backside hurt for a month...

Traveling Thailand, it has always been interesting to see the number of different tuk-tuk styles by region.

And by no means are all used as taxis...

Sadly, the clueless have found Thailand on the internet, and it is not better for it. The worst thing that ever happened to Nong Khai was making some magazine/webpage as one of the 10 best retirement locations. The locals are not amused.

Pathetic.

You have obviously never seen the knowledge test that London taxi drivers have to take.

I should have excluded London, and going by your comment, you have obviously read a lot of my posts.

You would know I am Scottish, and up here, that would be the case, although it does not apply to all the taxi drivers, I

have never met so many thickos as in the taxi trade as I once had a small stint as a taxi driver, and a high percentage

of them are only in that line of work because they have failed in other jobs.

Absolutly stupid statement. A lot of university students in europe work part time as taxi drivers because it give a good income!!!

You are obviously not referring to the UK, as it is obvious you are not a native English speaker.

I am only referring to Scotland, as I should have said, so it is not a stupid statement.

Yes I have. London taxis are the biggest rip off of all.

Where in Europe? If I may ask

Yes I have. London taxis are the biggest rip off of all.

About twelve years ago, I was in a London cab for a run just down the road, took about 3 mins, fare almost 7 GBP.

If that was the true fare, these London cabbies must be making a fortune. Good job I wasn't paying.

Where in Europe? If I may ask

Good question.