Idiot ruins Loy Krathong spirit by stealing cash from people's floats

webfact

The ones truly being ‘sold down the river’ are the ones believing that their fate involves luck based in part on sending money down the river. The thieves are wrong and heartless doing this in front of these people. On the other hand, we all need to be free of superstitious beliefs, and I emphasize superstitious ones.

Edited by Siamwhiteelephant

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what they are complaining about - I know the superstition of chucking coins into water has nothing to do with Buddhism, but I did think the general idea was that chucking away something would come back to you in the form of "Merit" aka "Face" in the future - ie like the lottery etc.

So why would it make any difference who gets the coins - a street beggar or the better organised saffron mafia. Surely the main point is "donating" it in the hope of payback.

I guess the problem is the beggar is doing it in front of them, not pretending there is a spiritual meaning.

It makes more sense than chucking coins into any random bowl of water - especially the water inside zoo cages - right under the big signs which say "Do Not Throw Coins".

Saw a sign in Manila zoo the other day "Wishing Snake". The poor Burmese python was almost choking on coins.....

This would be a good issue for the junta to score some much needed brownie points. Have officers stationed at some of the main sites and nab these guys. Oh forget that it would mean getting wet and doing some real work. These guys are small potatoes I guess they do not get their money handed to them on a silver platter like some we know.

The Thai people have lost their way. You would never see a thing like this years back.

All being caused by GREED & CORRUPTION.coffee1.gif

It is not only the Thais I afraid that have lost their way.

The whole damn world has lost all and any form of respect for others whatsoever.

Look at what those clowns did to the First World War memorial the other day. Painted graffiti all over the head stones.

This is not cultural, it is generational.

bah.gif

If you are stupid enough to believe that putting money on a small float is going to change your life you deserve to lose it like this. Hats off to the bloke a true reflection of Thai society, majority are poor and will do anything to make a living, perhaps that is more relevant food for thought for the nation?

Who is the real idiot?

The guy securing the money that was discarded in the river or the people who discarded their money in the river in the first place.

The guy is not stealing anything!

Chinese Buddhists use counterfeit money when making offerings to their deity or forwarding money to the ancestors.

You can purchase this offerings money at most Chinese shops.

Idiots.... Why exactly. Are they idiots for believing in something you do not, or are people around the World idiots for throwing small coins into fountains, for luck.

You used the words 'securing' and 'discarded'....... First of all I don't think the money was 'discarded' this word means; thrown out, thown away....... It was not! As sure as leaving a tip on a table, unatended for the staff.....Has that money been dicsarded? Is it now up for anyone who passes to 'secure' the money?

You also say; "The guy securing the money"..... and "The guy is not stealing anything"! Really?

This money, no matter how small was purposely placed in a 'vessel' for a purpose.... It was not discarded and as such anyone taking the money for there own use is stealing........... I for one would think this money was stolen.

I don't like your post, looks to me that you are trying to troll a popular post!!

Really, Idiot post, ‘lost’ indeed!

You call me a troll…. You and ‘’Terminal’ who likes your post….are the same person… aren’t you? Muppet. But it’s OK, I understand it’s the only way you would get any likes…… Idiot, both joined same date and both handles keep showing up together close together on same topics at the same time…. Tosser!

Maybe change your handles to ‘Loser 1’ and ‘Loser 2’ Or 'No Mates 1 and 2'

Looking forward to your next literary exposé……One liner!

Make a remote controled kratong . put a thousand baht note on it and in no time there would be thosands of people in the water........

Now that's a cool idea. Imagine the sheer enjoyment of having a Thai herd frantically paddling behind a high powered khratong. The fun could last for hours.

I think the person who wrote this from Coconut (sic!) is an idiot and that the man who collects the money is a clever one with sense of initiative taking care of otherwise lost money as children always traditionally have done. Possibly, he can be criticized for unethical behavior of collecting the money in front of them who make the offerings.

Who is the real idiot?

The guy securing the money that was discarded in the river or the people who discarded their money in the river in the first place.

The guy is not stealing anything!

Chinese Buddhists use counterfeit money when making offerings to their deity or forwarding money to the ancestors.

You can purchase this offerings money at most Chinese shops.

Precisely! At our local wat in Bangna, kids wade in the water and collect the coins. No harm done...

This is NORMAL all over Thailand so nothing new about it.

I lived near Chaiyaphum Issan for 5 years and as soon as the Floats where in the water the boys ripped them apart for the usual 5 Baht coin.

Disgraceful but as I said it's the norm!

Edited by English 1

This is nothing new. It has been going on for several years in Chiang Mai. I thought it was acceptable. Where do people think there money is going to go if someone doesn't take it out of the Krathong? If Thai people think it's a problem then they need to make an issue of it, There are plenty of law enforcement officers out on the streets in the evenings. Besides that, a few rocks or fireworks sent in his direction may communicate to him that he needs to move down stream a ways if he doesn't listen to their verbal requests.....again, a situation that Thai citizens could be really good at handling.

Edited by Coffee Pot

I look at it from a slightly different perspective. You put the money on the Krathong and float it out. Your intentions are good. They take the money which is not good but that is their problem not yours. Your spirit was the right one.

If you are stupid enough to believe that putting money on a small float is going to change your life you deserve to lose it like this. Hats off to the bloke a true reflection of Thai society, majority are poor and will do anything to make a living, perhaps that is more relevant food for thought for the nation?

For someone with such a negative view as you hold I can only assume you dont live in Thailand. If you do maybe you should consider a move.

I had never participated in LK festivities before while I lived in Isaan. Last week my gf decided she wanted to participate and made her own Kratong. She asked me for money to put in it. I asked her what will happen to the money. She said she wasn't sure. I gave her a check for one dollar made out to "Buddha."

As soon as she launched it, I left for the nearest 7 Eleven where, surprisingly, I was able to buy a couple of beers.

It's the spirit(s) of the events that is (are) most important.

Should send him to Saudi Arabia...

Yeah, I guess he deserves to be beheaded for being a retarded bum. 5555.

It's pretty clear this guy is extremely poor, simple minded or both and needs help. Not in the form of a beheading but perhaps a stranger who will buy him a bowl of noodles.

I had never participated in LK festivities before while I lived in Isaan. Last week my gf decided she wanted to participate and made her own Kratong. She asked me for money to put in it. I asked her what will happen to the money. She said she wasn't sure. I gave her a check for one dollar made out to "Buddha."

As soon as she launched it, I left for the nearest 7 Eleven where, surprisingly, I was able to buy a couple of beers.

'... surprisingly, I was able to buy a couple of beers.' Why surprisingly? There's no alcohol ban for LK.

For someone with such a negative view as you hold I can only assume you dont live in Thailand. If you do maybe you should consider a move.

He should move, because he doesn't believe in the tooth- fairy and other imaginary friends?

Edited by DM07

I suppose it's better for the money to sink to the bottom of the river, lake, pond or sea than being used by some poor people.

What a logic. For the Thais to think like that I can understand but that many farangs here share those same ideas is just shocking

I don't really see the problem and thought this was just the norm.

I watched as some kids took the 7 baht out of my kratong. Does this mean my wish won't come true?

7 baht I invested that I'll never see again. Selfish kids.

Yup, it seems your wish is doomed. Seven bahts' worth up right the Swannee!! Floating money off is a sure-fire way to lose it to someone, anyway.. if folks' few cast-off baht actually goes to someone who will use it, then so what, anyway? Wouldn't that even be making more 'merit' than sending it up to Buddha or whoever, hoping he's/ it's going to grant you something special for chucking away a tiny bit of what you didn't need anyway? If we're talking decent sums saved by a community for something then that's obviously a different thing, 'proper' stealing, but genuinely poor people grabbing a little for themselves (the 'poor' in the pic don't really look it at all!.. decent clothes, kid in a proper school uniform, even some guy wearing an adidas top!.. sorry, doesn't count, methinks, folks!!).. or even kids thinking its fun to chase after a few baht to buy sweets.. well, it's hardly going to doom anyone, really, is it? wai.gif

Edited by spectrumisgreen

The Thai people have lost their way. You would never see a thing like this years back.

All being caused by GREED & CORRUPTION.coffee1.gif

It is not only the Thais I afraid that have lost their way.

The whole damn world has lost all and any form of respect for others whatsoever.

Look at what those clowns did to the First World War memorial the other day. Painted graffiti all over the head stones.

This is not cultural, it is generational.

bah.gif

The kids removing (NOT Stealing) the money from Kratongs has nothing to do with respect. It is normal and expected. Unlike many here who have not seen this before or dont understand that most Thais are happy to see the kids take the money if they dont upset the floats I know it is not considered stealing or anything bad. Thais are much to pragmatic about religion and making merit to worry about this. Try asking the police to arrest them if you are stupidly farang enough not to understand it is part of the festivities.

I HATE the people who deface our war memorials, but this is almost certainly done by religious nuts - I dont need to spell it out who. I think they deserve exemplary punishment and educating about what the memorials really mean. But this has nothing whatsoever to do with taking the money from Loi Kratong floats.

''I gave her a check for one dollar made out to "Buddha." ''

Do you allow her to eat in front of the tv? When's her bedtime?