Abandoned Thai Orphan to British Citizen: Sam's StoryI

jji23

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday my adopted son received his certificate of nationality (UK) from the secretary of state. This is the conclusion to one of the longest and challenging processes I have ever experienced. There seems to be hardly any information out there for British citizens who adopt abroad. For this reason I would like to share our story.

I met my wife at the first school I taught at in 2009. In March 2013 we learnt that my wife's 17 year old sister had abandoned her 8 month old baby at Rangsit Babies Home. We began visiting him during the weekends and decided to adopt him, given that he was my wife's nephew we were allowed to take home immediately whilst the process of legally adopting him began.

The Thai Adoption Process

We first visited the adoption center, which is part of the department of social welfare, in May of 2013. I was given a long list of supporting documents I needed to provide, this included;

• Psychological analysis / certificate of mental well being (2000 baht Manoram Hospital)
  • Police clearance certificate from both the U.K and Thailand (25 pounds from Disclosure Scotland and a nominal fee for Thai version)
  • A certificate of habitual residency in Thailand (7000 baht from a Thai Lawyer)
  • A letter from the British embassy certifying my eligibility to adopt (2000 baht British Embassy, only attainable after presenting certificate of habitual residency to embassy)
  • Both Marriage certificates
  • Full copy of passport and work permit
  • Bank statements (U.K and Thai accounts)
  • Letter of employment from my school detailing salary and date of employment
  • 3 house visits
  • Written consent / surrender of parental rights from the biological mother (without this the adoption would not have been possible). As she wasn't married the father's was not needed.
  • My biography
  • all documents in English had to be translated and legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cheangwattana.

Whilst the staff at the adoption center were very helpful they did lose some of our documents which meant I had to get them again. All in all the application was ready to submit to the board around May of 2014. My wife, Sam and I met the board in June 2014 and they all concurred that the adoption was in the best interests of Sam. I was then informed that I still had to attain another certificate of eligibility to adopt from the British embassy and have it translated and legalized as this needed to be presented to the local amphur office and then they would issue the adoption certificate. August 2014 my wife and I legally adopted Sam.

I had already began exploring the possibility of Sam becoming a British citizen after adoption and had discovered he was eligible through form MN1 as a child adopted abroad by a British citizen.

Registering a Child as a British Citizen (Form MN1)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/437169/form_mn1_06_15.pdf

Let me start off by informing you that form MN1 is 31 pages long and the application costs 749 GBP, this fee is only partially refunded if the application is unsuccessful.

For this application all of the Thai documents including;

• My wife's adoption certificate
  • My adoption certificate
  • Sam's Thai birth certificate
  • Both parts of our marriage certificate

had to be translated into English and legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This costs around 300 THB per document.

Other supporting evidence includes;

• My biography
  • Consent from my wife
  • Evidence of my British Nationality (full copy of British passport)
  • A full copy of Sam's Thai passport
  • A report from the Department of Social Welfare detailing the adoption order
  • Completed application form
  • fee

I sent the application via Thai Post EMS on the 16th of April 2015. I could see from the Thai Post track website that it had been received by the Home Office in Liverpool on the 20th of April. The guide states that they aim to acknowledge applications within 2-4 weeks, and that I should get in contact if I don't hear anything after 8 weeks. On June 20th I called their call center, I was extremely worried, I had sent highly sensitive documents and my bank details to the U.K and as far as I knew they hadn't received it. The call center isn't actually the department who deals with the applications they can merely pass my request on, they informed me that someone would call or email me within 72 hours. I heard nothing from them I called after 3 days and the call center told me that my request is in a line and that calling again only puts me to the back of this line. I discovered through a UK immigration board website that people in England going through this process had also received no acknowledgement. It was through them that I discovered a government complaint email address. I sent them a email complaining about 10 weeks and no acknowledgement, within 2 days I received an email confirming receipt of Sam's application.

In August I received a letter from the Home Office informing me that on 17th of April the fee had increased from 699 GBP to 749 GBP and that I would have to resend the fee form, this would slow down my application.

In September of this year I received another letter informing me that Sam would have to enroll his biometric information at VFS Bangkok. Due to him being under 7 he would only need to take a digital photo and not enroll his fingerprints. I booked an appointment and we did this within 2 days of receiving the letter.

The guide to form MN1 states that they aim to make a decision on applications within 6 months of receiving an application. On October 20th I emailed the email address that sent me the email confirming receipt of application to ask for an update. They replied and informed me that this case will require extra time and that I should expect to receive a decision within 3-6 months.

Yesterday Sam received his certificate of nationality. He is as British as a doner kebab.

I hope this helps anyone who adopted in Thailand. As I said there is hardly information about what to do. When I did ask for help on this and other forums many people informed me that it couldn't be done. I knew I met the criteria set out in the guide to form MN1 and went ahead with this application.

Regards

Thankyou JJI23. A most helpful if not daunting story. I congratulate you for your tenacity. Two questions. What are the financial requirements for the applicant? Does the applicant being a retiree create a problem?

I wish you, your wife and Sam a long and happy family relationship. Well done.

A heartwarming story of perseverance versus bureaucracy. I am appalled at the expense and delays you experienced. I have considered adoption. I know it sounds mercenary, but if I adopt a Thai orphan, would I be entitled to any UK Child benefits even though I live in Thailand?

Thankyou JJI23. A most helpful if not daunting story. I congratulate you for your tenacity. Two questions. What are the financial requirements for the applicant? Does the applicant being a retiree create a problem?

I wish you, your wife and Sam a long and happy family relationship. Well done.

As far as I am aware there are no financial requirements per se but I imagine enough income to show that you can support the child is required.

I don't think that being a retiree should have any bearing on the case.

A heartwarming story of perseverance versus bureaucracy. I am appalled at the expense and delays you experienced. I have considered adoption. I know it sounds mercenary, but if I adopt a Thai orphan, would I be entitled to any UK Child benefits even though I live in Thailand?

I don't think so.

Dear JJ23, Many thanks indeed for this very comprehensive and enlightening report on adopting a Thai Child. My Thai Wife and I (a UK Citizen living in Thailand) are just about to experience the joy of adopting a lovely little Thai Baby Girl in the next couple of weeks - three days after she is born! We have put everything in the hands of our Lawyer, but discussing your case with my Wife, it would appear our Lawyer has not gone through all the loops that you had to do. My Wife has just arranged an interview with our Lawyer tomorrow, and we are going to present your brief to her and ask exactly where we are at, as it appears the Lawyer may still have much to do! Fingers crossed she has completed all the necessary documentation.

We wish you, your Wife and Sam a wonderful and what I am sure will be a very rewarding life with your fantastic addition to your Family. Good luck folks and again, many thanks for the very useful informationwai2.gif