PM attends JFCCT meeting, affirms Thailand must be a democracy

webfact

PM attends JFCCT meeting, affirms Thailand must be a democracy

BANGKOK 26 November 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha gave a speech at the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce In Thailand (JFCCT) Prime Minister's Luncheon, where he affirmed that Thailand must have a democratic government.

The luncheon was held at Centara Grand at CentralWorld and attended by Cabinet ministers, high-ranking government officials, and members of Thai-foreign chambers of commerce. Gen Prayut affirmed that the Kingdom is ready to accommodate investors, especially in the construction sector. He also emphasized the importance of inclusive economic benefits, in order to prevent social inequality.

The Prime Minister talked about the economic progess Thailand has made over the past decades, as well as the country's current efforts to lay the foundations for national reform and economic stability.

Regarding his administration assuming power last year, Gen Prayut claimed he did not take office for personal gain, affirming that Thailand must be a democracy. He expects to hold general elections in July 2016, provided that the current draft constitution passes its public referendum.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-26 footer_n.gif

Yeah, Thailand will have democracy all right. HIS style of democracy, and not the people's style. His democracy wants to give the military permanent amnesty for anything they do. His democracy is to weaken all political parties so the military maintains control. His democracy is NOT a democracy at all.

I wonder what his definition of the word democracy is as it seems to be very different from mine.

Yes. My definition is very different from yours as well.

Mine is from being well educated whilst growing up in the UK which had one of the best and most successful democracies in the world (though I don't pretend for one minute is was anywhere near perfect).

It is my opinion that Prayuth is doing his best to try and put Thailand on the road to something similar. You obviously want something different because you oppose him every step of the way.

I wonder what his definition of the word democracy is as it seems to be very different from mine.

Mine is from being well educated whilst growing up in the UK which had one of the best and most successful democracies in the world (though I don't pretend for one minute is was anywhere near perfect).

It is my opinion that Prayuth is doing his best to try and put Thailand on the road to something similar. You obviously want something different because you oppose him every step of the way.

Care to explain, which part of British democracy gave a wild card to the Military, for every foul action, ever?

"...he affirmed that Thailand must have a democratic government."

The obvious first step is that he stop down and hold free elections immediately. All of you who believe that will happen, please tell me where I can score some of whatever you are smoking.

Really? I mean do you really think he is doing that?

Perhaps you could explain just how the inclusion to the constitution of an article/section that allows for military intervention on a whim is in any way related to being "on the road to something similar"? What part of 19 coups and 20 constitutions do you not understand - that this one is going to be different?

Edited by thelonius

Note, no one bothered to ask the army for their assistance in the democratic process for a very long time.

Education isnt' the issue, the issue is the so called educated believing they can hoodwink the rest of the country continuously.

As for you speaking for your own education, having read a few of your posts, well..............

"Mine is from being well educated..."

Well, you could have fooled me, John!

If democracy means blocking people from voting so that you can overthrow an elected government, seizing power and then holding it as long as you can, and only returning it with a clause allowing it to easily be reseized in the future, then he is completely pro-democracy.

Really? I mean do you really think he is doing that?

Perhaps you could explain just how the inclusion to the constitution of an article/section that allows for military intervention on a whim is in any way related to being "on the road to something similar"? What part of 19 coups and 20 constitutions do you not understand - that this one is going to be different?

" What part of 19 coups and 20 constitutions do you not understand - that this one is going to be different?"

Now that's the million dollar question none of the junta supporters can or will answer.

"Mine is from being well educated..."

Well, you could have fooled me, John!

Well he has fooled himself why not try and expand his interests

Oh English John. You really think circus master is moving Thailand towards the UK system? Please give full details that clearly show the concrete steps he has taken to achieve this. Don't leave out all the widely reported and obvious facts such as stamping out freedom of speech, holding court cases behind closed doors, etc. Do some research on it. There are some good articles listing such negative steps. Please include those as fair balance to your evidence of his steps towards a democracy.

We wait for the case to be made.

So the next step towrds democracy is------, the e word?

Watch out for low flying bananas asking questions like that.

affirming that Thailand must be a democracy.

I was not aware that it is not considered a trap anymore.

Edited by Lupatria

Yeah, Thailand will have democracy all right. HIS style of democracy, and not the people's style. His democracy wants to give the military permanent amnesty for anything they do. His democracy is to weaken all political parties so the military maintains control. His democracy is NOT a democracy at all.

There is no 'style' of democracy, same as no 'style of Truth'. But you already know that. 'God' is not Truth, Truth is God'. True dat.

What is your well educated definition of democracy ? Does that definition include detaining and threatening those who wish to express themselves, deposing an elected government, masquerading martial law with the god like powers of article 44 ? How do you get from this to "something similar" ? It is closer to Great Britain's treatment of its American colonies, in 1775, than its current parliamentary system. Maybe that is what you were referring to.

Since you are using the past tense, do we take it that you now consider the UK not to have a successful democracy???

On a tangental thought:

"The Prime Minister talked about the economic progess Thailand has made over the past decades"

Didn't Prayut recently blame previous governments for the current economic mess? The current growth rate about matches the rate in 2006Q1. If there was historical economic progress, it virtually stopped during Prayut's tenure.