Awesome Australian expat cleans up Pattaya beach after everyone

webfact

Awesome Australian expat cleans up Pattaya beach after everyone
By Coconuts Bangkok

mark1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Mark, an Australian expat who lives on Amat Beach in Pattaya, has become a favourite of local residents for his kind actions in cleaning garbage from the beach.

Good deeds don’t need translation. Mark's actions were captured and publicized by a Thai Facebook user "Chai" who said he often sees the expat picking up garbage on the beach, using trash bags and gloves which he obviously had brought with him specifically for the task.
"I often see this farang pick up garbage along the beach. He said his name is Mark from Australia.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/26/awesome-australian-expat-cleans-pattaya-beach-after-everyone

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-27

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia he would have got the merit medal of good citizenship from the mayor by now,

here in Thailand, he's viewed as a garbage foregoer and an oddball, I wonder how come

the other garbage collectors of Pattaya didn't have it with him yes for taking their garbage

away from them...

regardless of what nationality he is or what wording the article uses, it's great to see rubbish being cleaned up . Just a shame that everybody cant pick up after themselves ... PS a few well placed garbage bins wouldn't hurt either ....whistling.gif

regardless of what nationality he is or what wording the article uses, it's great to see rubbish being cleaned up . Just a shame that everybody cant pick up after themselves ... PS a few well placed garbage bins wouldn't hurt either ....

Most Thais are too lazy and tend to drop their rubbish everywhere rather than walk a couple of yards to a bin, or collect their rubbish to take home with them in a bag. Bins would probably just get stolen anyway.

The solution, of course, is more policemen and big fines for littering. Singapore is full of Asians yet it is spotlessly clean. If they can do it so can Thailand.

I do the same thing myself, I pick up trash from Jomtien beach early in the morning.it's good exercise . So at least once a week you'll find me on the beach , the locals seems to be amused by it.

Well done mate. I wish the Thais would put more effort into this themselves. Education required either at school, or more importantly, their parents etc. But having said that, I try and help the local Trash Hero Hua Hin every week for a couple of hours. Good exercise as one poster already mentioned. There is one Thai girl dedicated to this cause and I think she get s a little frustrated as she does this every week, sometimes by herself, but whenever I go and help, she seems to get more attention because the farang is helping her. She knows it is a good thing but she is disappointed that more Thais don't get involved. Currently back in OZ for 10 days and yesterday whilst on one of the Gold Coast beaches had a quick look around to see how much rubbish was lying around, and I was struggling to find any. I guess a combination of people being a little more conscious of their actions and also a council that spends on money keeping the areas clean. Thailand would improve their tourism if they just made more of an effort to clean up all the crap, whether that be on the beaches or the vacant blocks of land around towns and cities...the place is a pig sty in parts.

Crackers !

When I go to any beach I always take all my rubbish home with me or dump it in a bin.

With wombles like this one knocking-about, the habits of the locals and the council provided facilities will never improve.

You ever hear of learning by example? Do you think the habits of locals would ever change otherwise? People like you would find a negative in any good deed.

I was in Singapore in the late 60s when it was a right spit hole. But, they had a great dictator in charge at the time called Lee Kwan Yoo. No messing with this guy in charge. He started with the schools. All the kids were educated to pick up rubbish. And look at Singapore now. I regularly go to a school in Northern Thailand for 3 and 4 year olds - which is where I picked up my handle of Pa David. Love the kids and the teachers, but I just wish the kids could be taught what to do with their rubbish. I try but I'm not there all the time.

I was in Singapore in the late 60s when it was a right spit hole. But, they had a great dictator in charge at the time called Lee Kwan Yoo. No messing with this guy in charge. He started with the schools. All the kids were educated to pick up rubbish. And look at Singapore now. I regularly go to a school in Northern Thailand for 3 and 4 year olds - which is where I picked up my handle of Pa David. Love the kids and the teachers, but I just wish the kids could be taught what to do with their rubbish. I try but I'm not there all the time.

I remember it well, they used to spit on the floor at the movies, but they introduced very stiff penalties (and enforced them) for spitting and littering and the locals soon got the message.

Would he be doing the same if he still lived in Australia?

Would not have to Australians have been beaten over the head with environmental penalties fines for incorrect disposing of rubbish for years.but good luck to him for his endeavours.

The truth is that Thai people have not respect for garbage. They throw it out there car windows or if at a gathering they just throw it on the floor. In many countries this is a crime but in Thailand it is okay! So Sad because it is a beautiful country as long as you do not walk on the roads or the beaches!

In the 80s Aussies had a campaign to "Do the right thing" ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNeM5vMwIMY&index=1&list=PL55AF41F5C35F2F9E

This is why the older generation has respect for the environment and I still pick up rubbish in my village in Oz and in Korat that younger ones just dispose of anywhere ...

And YES if he was back in Oz I am sure he would be doing it now ....

Everyone should "take a leaf out of his book" not just the Thai's ......

If there were more responsible people like Mark, in any country, taking care of the environment in a small way, the world would be a better place. I wish I was one them. Good on him.

you can be IamNoone88 ... the first one is the hardest, then you feel good about each bit of rubbish you pick up