Place to hang out before Embassy appointment?

rexall

Fri 27 Nov 2015, 5:49 pm

Hi ForumMates,

I arrive NCA bus terminal on a Tuesday morning around 6:00 am for a 7:30 appoointment at the US Embassy. I did this years ago and spent nearly two hours wandering around deserted streets looking for a open restaurant or "something." There probably are places if you know where to go, but the Mochit and Embassy streets are pretty desolate that early in the morning.

Any suggestions for a comfortable restaurant or coffee shops or ??? to hang out at for an hour or so, ideally near the Embassy or near NCA?

BTW, if you have not done this before, save your pixels, you are not allowed anywhere near the embassy until it is very nearly time for your appointment. You can't just go in and wait or anything like that.

Thanks, lah!

Yes, the building opposite the embassy is home to several coffee shops and places to sit and wait. I usually park there and have a cup of coffee myself if I have an appointment at the embassy. They will be open to serve you. Just enter the ground level of the building and you can't miss them. Surely, one or two of them will be open anyway. Yes, that is from my own personal early morning experience when my wife had the first appointment slot of the day. I hung out there with my son for a while and waited for her.

As mentioned above, you may need all of that time to transit between the bus terminal and the embassy. A few of the streets you will need to travel down will be severely congested. Wireless Road itself can be hit or miss, but when it gets bad ... it is horrific!

Best of luck finiding that cup of coffee should time permit.

New Starbucks near USA Embassy

Just out of curiousity, where is this new Starbucks located? While I tend to avoid them due to their large price-tag for a product that can be had of similar or even better quality for a fraction of the price, once in a blue moon .... it does hit the spot. And, the environment is usually pleasing.

Sorry. I have been educated about the coffee shops around the embassy.

There's no need to be sorry. If you had known, you would have helped out and chimed in. Maybe the info will help you in the future if you have business to conduct of whatever kind in that neck of the woods. Isn't that what forums like this are for? Cheers ~

Sorry. I have been educated about the coffee shops around the embassy.

Probably some confusion as to "across the street" from the main embassy bldg as opposed to across the street from the consular services, which are themselves across the street from each other.

acsmap.gif

Edited by Suradit69

Agree.

We got to the USA Embassy about 7:30am.

Once the wifey went inside, I stayed on the same side of the street

and walked back up a short block or two.

I think it was the Au Bon Pain place. You will see several.

Really nice to sit and drink coffee and eat a croissant or three.

EXPERIENCE: Go back and spend 30 mins with some of the USA guys waiting in the front of the USA Embassy. Some really crazy

unbelievable stories. I talked with 3-4 guys that had been working on K1, K3 and other VISA types and had

some of the funniest and craziest stories I've ever heard in Thailand. It was a HOOT !!

There is a coffee shop in the building at the corner (on ACS side) of wireless road and PloenChit road, see map on Post #10

If you take BTS skytrain from MoChit to Ploen Chit BTS, take the exit (think its exit 2) that connects to the building which is also home to the Okura Bangkok Hotel.

This way you never have to leave the station. There is a coffee shop on the ground floor of that building. go down the escalator inside building. there is a seven eleven on the ground floor, coffee shop is next to it. The building and coffee shop has good A/C.

Edited by meltingpot2015

When I go, always have a 0730 appointment. I park at All Seasons but nothing there is open that early. I walk down wireless toward the ACS and there is a place on the side-walk where many vendors are selling food for the Thais to take to work. Go down the small road just before the vendors and there is a courtyard in the back with food and beverages. If you're coming from Morchit via taxi, that might be your best bet. Due to traffic it might take you the full 1.5 hours to get there. I was there last month and they won't let you in until 0730.

New Starbucks near USA Embassy

Starbucks don't make coffee. Whatever it is, it's not coffee.bah.gif

Well I wonder what it is if its not coffee? They do seem to be quite successful. Maybe all those other customers are wrong and you're right? Maybe it's time you went back for another taste?

More to the point. As you face the consulate, the building to your left, on the ground floor, there are a couple of places to get a coffee.

Edited by Spaniel

From the bus station I would grab a taxi to the Morchit BTS. Get out at Pholen Chit, there you have the Park Ventures building which has a nice café/coffee shop at the ground floor level as you leave the BTS. From there its another taxi or a 5 to 10 minute walk to the embassy.

The sky train will be busy but its a darn sight quicker than sitting in traffic for hours on end.