Linear Shower floor drain

Mike45

I've got a water collection problem. It's a tiled roofed outdoor living space. The driving rain comes in that area and water collects in two areas. Both in front of of my wide French doors leading into the house.

My contractor is willing to fix the problem but his suggestion was to raise the tiles by the door. Then he told me my French doors probably wouldn't open.

I'm thinking a drain is what I need. Something like in a shower...a long linear drain across the French door area.

My wife looked at Do Home and HomePro. They don't sell them.

Any suggestions?

post-33663-14486297132244_thumb.jpg

The only reason for a 'wide' drain would be to handle a larger surface area (or pull together two surface areas that don't drain together, all in one fell swoop).

But if the water can be vacuumed from a single spot (all water eventually draining to that spot) then, as already suggested, a smaller drain can be placed in that one spot, then a drain pipe installed on down-angle to allow drainage and the tile reworked.

You may not really need to install actual drain, but could just cut a single thin/narrow 'channel' in the tile-work that will allow the water to drain away ...wouldn't look too bad, and wouldn't be a trip hazard. just clear channel when doing regular cleaning to make sure if functions when needed.

The house has not been occupied during a rain storm so we don't know how much water there is or if it can be sucked up at one location. We can only see the damage on the adjacent painted walls and interior walls. In a few weeks when I get there I'll experiment with water and find out. The drain would have to be piped in and laid approximately 20 feet to the side of the building.

Standing water near painted wall surfaces sometimes get 'wicked' up under the paint. Something to watch for.

Yet another option:

Similar to my 'channel' suggestion, another option might be to reset the open area tile floor, re-lay the tiles (or a portion of the tiles) were they're set on a slight angle (grade) to promote natural draining in a direction (the height can be reset by using less and less thinset backing leading to an 'edge' where the accumulated water can drain off.

Depending on where the water tends to fall and initially accumulate, it may only require resetting some tiles with a fall (grade) of a few degrees heading toward an open edge.

When I had the bare concrete in our house tiled, the tilers laid down about 25mm (?!!) of the Thai version of thinset. Well, at least the kitchen and bedrooms won't have an issue with flooding.

Anyway, just saying, you might have a lot of leeway if you want to lay tiles with a gradual grade.

Are you sure this is standing water and not rising damp coming up inside the walls? Is the ground water level high when this happened? Rising damp is a very common problem here as few contractors seal properly and ground water level can be almost at surface some times during the year in many locations.

I've seen the Cotto Linear Shower Floor drains in Bangkok at the Cotto Showroom and in Buriram at a Cotto sanitary ware dealer. CT644Z4P(HM) is one model, It is 5.7 inches by 12.9 inches and works with 2" to 3.5" pvc pipes. Longer Cotto Shower Drains are available in a matter of days from any Cotto authorized dealer. Some home improvement store staff are just too lazy in my opinion to make a special order of an item, while other store staff seem willing and able to accomplish such a task for a Farang. Cotto has staff who understand and speak English as they export Cotto products to English speaking countries.

• 3 months later...

I have seen them. Either at Global House or Thai Watsadu.

I bought them at Global House. The builder installed them and replaced the effected tiles. I'm happy with the results. Now just have to see if they do what I need next rainy season.

post-33663-1457719891305_thumb.jpg

Archived