Thirst for change: Thailand's rebel microbreweries

Jonathan Fairfield

Thirst for change: Thailand's rebel microbreweries

By Brian Spencer, for CNN

Bangkok, Thailand (CNN)The droning buzz saw of a motorized longtail boat cruising up Chao Phraya River drowns our conversation, so Wichit Saiklao stops mid-sentence, smiles, and raises a glass of his homebrewed weizen, a crisp, golden-hued ale that goes down easy on balmy afternoons like this one.

From Bangkok I've taken a train, then a bus, then a ferry, then a motorbike taxi to reach Koh Kret, a small island located about 20 kilometers (12 miles) north of Thailand's capital city in Nonthaburi province.

It's where Saiklao -- friends call him P'Chit -- founded Chit Beer, his open-air, riverside microbrewery and the de facto home base of a growing resistance to long-standing laws prohibiting Thai people from brewing and distributing their own beer.

As outlined in the country's 1950 Liquors Act, those caught doing so face a nominal fine of 200 baht (about $5.50) for brewing, and another 5,000 baht ($140) and/or six months in jail for selling it.

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2015-11-28

If you want to trace the root of many enduring problems, the 1950s statutes are likely where the cosy legislation was set up to protect the entire too bent to fail systems that should have been scrapped in the early 70s at the latest.

Instead tanks r us want to double down on 'tradition' while supposedly reinventing the place.

Great idea. Get the micro brewerys set up throughout the country. Far superior to Thai beers - unfortunatly the major breweries are so well connected that it will be difficult, or impossible, for them to succeed. But, good luck to them.

Don't believe it is connections but rather crony based favoritism. Believe the non aligned breweries are only allowed to sell on premises or export.

For the longest time, it was easier to buy Beerlao in Taiwan than in Thailand.

A very Thai way of gaining knowledge, pay someone to show them how to do something. If they would have opened a book, or with todays internet info, google, they could be laying some in to ferment by the time they made the trip as described via 4 vehicle changes.

To learn by doing seems to get lost somehow in translation to Thai from other languages. Why in hell pay someone to teach you how to make a cake, pie, cookies, wine, beer, whisky, etc. They spend the money and time at this facility called a school and then buy off of some vender , shop or bar instead of using what they were susposed to have learned at "school" for which they get a diploma /paper of completion.

interesting - i got a warning from the moderators for asking about brewing in Thailand not that long ago, and here we ahem an article.

how is then that something that is illegal actually operates as a business in making and selling home made beer, when i asked the question it was purely out of trying to find out what the deal was as i have been brewing in australia for the past 35 years and wanted to here as well.

watch me get in trouble again now lol….

i might wander there and suss him out and open my micro brewery as well

now i am really in for it from the moderators.

I hope it takes off. Can't be that hard to make a better beer than those produced by the big two. Although with the heat out here, it is easier to drink ice cold lager than real ale. Wonder how they cope with the concept of sterilising equipment though, when even washing properly seems to be an alien idea here.

Great idea. Get the micro brewerys set up throughout the country. Far superior to Thai beers - unfortunatly the major breweries are so well connected that it will be difficult, or impossible, for them to succeed. But, good luck to them.

Don't believe it is connections but rather crony based favoritism. Believe the non aligned breweries are only allowed to sell on premises or export.

All the big breweries in the USA are buying up micros and closing them. I guess they want Americans to always drink pish beer.

The article is about an active military colonel (and therefore a government official) who says:

"Don't worry about the legal stuff ..."

I just don't know what is good about that. Yes, I love beer and would would appreciate legalisation of microbreweries - but isn't democracy (which requires the rule of law) the higher goal?

Let's fight for legalisation before we decide that we follow only the laws we like. Otherwise, we will end up in a lawless country. I am

Given that this climate suits lager, I hope some enterprising Czech will start brewing something close to Budweiser Budvar.

back the front.[Normal ale fermentation temperatures range from 68 to 72 °F (20 to 22 °C) and lager fermentation temperatures from 45 to 55 °F (7 to 13 °C)

Where did you come up with this?

All the big breweries in the USA are buying up micros and closing them. I guess they want Americans to always drink pish beer.

interesting - i got a warning from the moderators for asking about brewing in Thailand not that long ago, and here we ahem an article.

how is then that something that is illegal actually operates as a business in making and selling home made beer, when i asked the question it was purely out of trying to find out what the deal was as i have been brewing in australia for the past 35 years and wanted to here as well.

Normally we don't allow public comments about moderation. But just to clarify, brewing your own beer here is illegal. It's against forum rules to discuss illegal activity. Thus, your post was against forum rules. Sadly.

I'm a huge craft beer lover. Unfortunately, Thailand isn't the best country right now for this. Loved my trip to Czech Republic a few years ago. 500ml of fresh brewed beer for about 50B! Heaven. Ukraine's price earlier this year was about 30B.

Hopefully things in Thailand will change and these ridiculous laws will be abolished.

Inspired by the article, I visited Chit Beer yesterday - a 100thb long tail boat or 2thb ferry from the mainland to Ko Kret.

What a nice place!

Very good beer and a great place for an afternoon - 5-6 beers on draft at 100thb and 3 bottled beers at 120thb. Some great chicken wings too. All served directly on the river front. Only a small place with plastic tables and chairs and the brewery itself consisting of a few pots and pans in the corner with staff bottling the beer at you watch.

Very much homebrewing but the resulting ales tasting much better than the usual homebrew

We even have one on Samui.

http://www.samuibrew.pub/

Went there last year when I stumbled upon it by accident - it is in Chaweng, just outside the main centre. It had literally just opened and I was highly impressed by the quality (and reasonable price) of some excellent beers. Highly recommended for an evenings drinking. I was actually looking for the Ice bar when I spotted this haven for real ale beer drinkers!!

Normally we don't allow public comments about moderation. But just to clarify, brewing your own beer here is illegal. It's against forum rules to discuss illegal activity. Thus, your post was against forum rules. Sadly.

I'm a huge craft beer lover. Unfortunately, Thailand isn't the best country right now for this. Loved my trip to Czech Republic a few years ago. 500ml of fresh brewed beer for about 50B! Heaven. Ukraine's price earlier this year was about 30B.

Hopefully things in Thailand will change and these ridiculous laws will be abolished.

that was what i understood from the slap i received - i found it ironic that there was a news article on this topic a few weeks later in the same forum.

i think i have drunk some of the best beers of my life in Europe they sure know how to make beer.

hence my frustration at what is on offer here in thailand.

however with the benefit of several months under my belt i have come to realise that the majority of thai laws and their subsequent application appears to be a selective process and if you don't stick your head in front of the cross hairs then you can get along just fine, even making a bit of your own amber is possible it would seem

as for thailand changing its laws on this particular matter - i guess we will continue to age gracefully whilst that chestnut runs its course.

Given that this climate suits lager, I hope some enterprising Czech will start brewing something close to Budweiser Budvar.

back the front.[Normal ale fermentation temperatures range from 68 to 72 °F (20 to 22 °C) and lager fermentation temperatures from 45 to 55 °F (7 to 13 °C)

Back To front. But I was talking about the drinking, rather than the brewing. I've tried the latter, with mixed success, but I have far more experience with the former.

The article is about an active military colonel (and therefore a government official) who says:

I just don't know what is good about that. Yes, I love beer and would would appreciate legalisation of microbreweries - but isn't democracy (which requires the rule of law) the higher goal?

Let's fight for legalisation before we decide that we follow only the laws we like. Otherwise, we will end up in a lawless country. I am

Bad laws are there to be ignored. I was a totally honest police officer for 30 years. For the last 20, I only bought tax paid tobacco twice. The government got enough out of me with income tax, National Insurance,VAT, fuel duty, council tax, and more. To pay for the workshy and the immigrants. One small victory every time I lit up. Sadly, no really trustworthy source of red diesel on a regular basis.

Between these laws against good quality local beers, and an import fee on foreign wines of about 400%, Thailand has the proud distinction of being a country where it is very difficult to get a good bottle of beer (unless it's beer Laos) or a good glass of wine, at a fair price. Congratulations to the intelligent and progressive politicians for that.

In reality, those politicians have sold their souls to the monster beer companies here, and to a handful of very, very inferior local wineries, who have encouraged really idiotic policy.

It is time for reform. It is time for the people to rise up in a unified voice, and tell the government, no more! We are tired of stupid, corrupt, misguided policy, that does not benefit anyone but the huge corporations.

Kudos to the few microbreweries who are providing a great service to the public, and an alternative to such inferior corporate beer.

Edited by spidermike007

Dead on.

Between these laws against good quality local beers, and an import fee on foreign wines of about 400%, Thailand has the proud distinction of being a country where it is very difficult to get a good bottle of beer (unless it's beer Laos) or a good glass of wine, at a fair price. Congratulations to the intelligent and progressive politicians for that.

In reality, those politicians have sold their souls to the monster beer companies here, and to a handful of very, very inferior local wineries, who have encouraged really idiotic policy.

It is time for reform. It is time for the people to rise up in a unified voice, and tell the government, no more! We are tired of stupid, corrupt, misguided policy, that does not benefit anyone but the huge corporations.

Kudos to the few microbreweries who are providing a great service to the public, and an alternative to such inferior corporate beer.

Bad laws are there to be ignored. I was a totally honest police officer for 30 years. For the last 20, I only bought tax paid tobacco twice. The government got enough out of me with income tax, National Insurance,VAT, fuel duty, council tax, and more. To pay for the workshy and the immigrants. One small victory every time I lit up. Sadly, no really trustworthy source of red diesel on a regular basis.

Bad laws are there to be ignored

Who decides what laws are bad?

I only bought tax paid tobacco twice

And I don't think you have anything to be proud of, especially as a police officer who gets paid from the taxes, to buy smuggled tobacco. Do you also take the pension, paid for by my taxes? Use roads and other public infrastructure?

Unless of course you mean that you bought tobacco only twice in the last 20 years, but somehow the rest of your contribution doesn't sound like that.

Bad laws are there to be ignored

Who decides what laws are bad?

I only bought tax paid tobacco twice

And I don't think you have anything to be proud of, especially as a police officer who gets paid from the taxes, to buy smuggled tobacco. Do you also take the pension, paid for by my taxes? Use roads and other public infrastructure?

Unless of course you mean that you bought tobacco only twice in the last 20 years, but somehow the rest of your contribution doesn't sound like that.

........and you are 100% squeeky clean, never broken a single law or committed even a slight discretion, I suppose!!

In my opinion, if a law is bad or blatantly stupid (maybe centuries old without being repealed) then if you can find a way to circumvent it then bully for you. After all, the rich employ lawyers and financial experts to do just that!! I'm not saying evading cigarette tax is a good example, but if the government can't deal with it to prevent it then that's their problem.

I just hope that you are not a red, as ex policeman Thaksin, with his PhD in criminology studied ways simply to do just that and he was a master at it, until he got caught with his pants down.

Edited by lucky11