Good News

2. 30 November (Thursday), enter Thailand. Admitted until 27 FEB 2007.

3. 1 December (Friday), open Thai bank account in my name, get SWIFT code.

Isn't it necessary to have a police verified address in Thailand before it is possible to open a bank account?

:D No.

Interesting first post... :o

It was my experience a couple of years ago with the military bank (Naklua). I was on a VOA though. They wanted a note from the police to verify my address. I was staying in a hotel at the time so didn't persue it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The high quality tourist is a wonderful thought, but what about places other than Rama I road. There are several sayings that can be applied, one of them is “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.”

Ever since I first heard about the new regulations and the uncertainty it brought, I stopped spending money on anything but essentials.

There's no point buying stuff that you must leave here if you can't stay. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has curtailed their spending. Over the whole of Thailand, this could have quite an impact on the local economy.

Your precautions are wise and also a common sense reaction to uncertainly. It will take about 45 to 60 days for the Thais to start to see the numbers as it takes about that long with VAT processing. It still will be about 100 days before enough of his is above the surface for the Thais or anyone to see a trend. Then after that another 30 to 60 days for them to come to some sort of decision if any. All and all it looks like it will be 5 to 6 months before they move on this. By that time the losses will be in the billions I am sure.

On the bright side teachers pay will be going up big time, 50,000 at a government school would be rock bottom and up to 70,000 would be the pay range I would estimate, plus the Thais to pick up all expenses like travel out of the country for the non B and work permit fees. I looks to be an interesting second semester for Thai government schools and even worse first semester in May next year. There is no way any teacher should have to pick up the tab on this.

Edited by John K

On the bright side teachers pay will be going up big time, 50,000 at a government school would be rock bottom and up to 70,000 would be the pay range I would estimate, plus the Thais to pick up all expenses like travel out of the country for the non B and work permit fees. I looks to be an interesting second semester for Thai government schools and even worse first semester in May next year. There is no way any teacher should have to pick up the tab on this.

That would really be good news , but you are dreaming.

Sorry , no way .

The average Thai Teacher just earn THB 7-10k , so how can the schools increase the rate for farangs, they would ,IMHO , rather reduce the number of english classes.

It will take about 45 to 60 days for the Thais to start to see the numbers as it takes about that long with VAT processing. It still will be about 100 days before enough of his is above the surface for the Thais or anyone to see a trend. Then after that another 30 to 60 days for them to come to some sort of decision if any. All and all it looks like it will be 5 to 6 months before they move on this. By that time the losses will be in the billions I am sure.

:o

I very much doubt there will be such a significant economic impact from the recent changes and foresee neither of the above scenarios happening.

IMHO, business as usual is far more likely...

On the bright side teachers pay will be going up big time, 50,000 at a government school would be rock bottom and up to 70,000 would be the pay range I would estimate,

All they will do is what they did for journalists, make up a number that fits them and make a teacher's visa category. My guess 20,000Bt.

I will contact the British Embassy tomorrow to see what documetation they need to confirm my income, which fortunately is far in excess of the 40,000 Baht a month required.

I find it "financially offensive" to tie up approx 6K UK pounds for next to no interest for 5/6 months every year! :o !

that's it that's it....

that's the feeling I've been trying to recognise lately.

The high quality tourist is a wonderful thought, but what about places other than Rama I road. There are several sayings that can be applied, one of them is “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.”

Ever since I first heard about the new regulations and the uncertainty it brought, I stopped spending money on anything but essentials.

There's no point buying stuff that you must leave here if you can't stay. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has curtailed their spending. Over the whole of Thailand, this could have quite an impact on the local economy.

Some may not agree with the impact of these tactics. :o

however, what you say hits the sweet spot with me. :D

personally I am no longer going to extend my house, or buy a new truck as I had planned.

No difference to the big picture, but it has helped me balance my mood the last few months :D

I will of course continue to sponsor my social life :D

I visit Thailand almost every month for 1-2 weeks. So when flew out of the new airport yesterday, I had used my 3 30-day within-6-months "Visa/short visit/whatever" already. I asked the lady at immigration if I had to go visit an embassy to get a visa to come back next month. She said no need for that, just come back in on another 30 day visit pass. So I asked if the 1 October rules had been postponed and she said yes. Take that for what its worth. Maybe someone can dig for more details.

According to my solicitor in kk he called me yesterday to say a radio station in Thailand had announced that the 1st Oct rule was in deed cancelled and that they were reverting back to the 1997 ruling (dont know what that is )and that the 30 day tourist is on again.

Today a good friend of mine has been to nong Kai and guess what he got a new 30 day tourist not a 60 day extension .

I visit Thailand almost every month for 1-2 weeks. So when flew out of the new airport yesterday, I had used my 3 30-day within-6-months "Visa/short visit/whatever" already. I asked the lady at immigration if I had to go visit an embassy to get a visa to come back next month. She said no need for that, just come back in on another 30 day visit pass. So I asked if the 1 October rules had been postponed and she said yes. Take that for what its worth. Maybe someone can dig for more details.

According to my solicitor in kk he called me yesterday to say a radio station in Thailand had announced that the 1st Oct rule was in deed cancelled and that they were reverting back to the 1997 ruling (dont know what that is )and that the 30 day tourist is on again.

Today a good friend of mine has been to nong Kai and guess what he got a new 30 day tourist not a 60 day extension.

Guess what, there is no such thing as a "60 day extension" and there never has been... :o

Today a good friend of mine has been to nong Kai and guess what he got a new 30 day tourist not a 60 day extension .

Sorry there have also never been a 30 day tourist visa (at least not for the 41 countries we are talking about). And as mentioned never a 60 day extension to a tourist visa.

So if your information about the radio station is as bad as your wisdom about visa's then i start to worry.

Only requirement I've ever run into when opening a bank account is that I have a visa other than 30 day VOA stamp. (Siam Commercial Bank) They refused to open an account unless I had a "real" visa issued by a consulate or embassy.
Interesting, as I have opened two regular savings accounts (one about two years ago at SCB main office in BKK, and one last month in Jomtien) and a bond fund account (in Jomtien last month) at SCB with only a 30-day passport-waiver stamp in my passport.