windows update not working

TheCruncher

A few weeks ago I did a new install of a legal Windows 7 Ultimate x64 sp1 and activated. I used a new harddisk.

I got pop ups that new updates were available, and yes there were close to 100 important updates.

Till now I installed only a few updates, as I wanted to sort out which one I wanted and which one not, and I especially didn't want the windows 10 upgrade.

Then yesterday I got a message that I needed to update Windows defender, but it failed to update it. I then noticed that Malwarebytes also didn't update. I also couldn't connect to windows update anymore.

I started reading on the web and found results from virus to bogus registry settings and more.

I decided to to use the big force and wiped the harddisk and reinstalled Windows.

So I assume that if I format each partition, nect delete each partition, then make new partitions and do a clean install that evry virus will be deleted.

After install I discovered the same problem.

OI could now update windows defender, but still can't do windows updates. It connects to the Windows update site, but keeps endless searching for available updates.

post-223159-0-97782900-1448860384_thumb.

I can do a WSUSoffline update, but in that case I can't select the updates and the windoews 10 upgrade will be forced on me without doubt.

Any suggestions?

Oke and what does it say under "view detailed info" ?

What you still can do is do the steps in Link 1, stop Windows Update and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and restart your PC, this will completely reset the Windows Update.

Oke and what does it say under "view detailed info" ?

What you still can do is do the steps in Link 1, stop Windows Update and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and restart your PC, this will completely reset the Windows Update.

Did all the steps in the first link.

Step 6

Browse back to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Windows should have automatically recreated the Download folder.

After restart Windows hasn't recreated the download folder though.

I looked at the event log, and there are hundreds of events, but no idea what to look for. Gonna perform a new reinstall in thew next few minutes.

Try one more thing please

1 check if Windows Update is running
2 check for updates
3 if that fails, stop Windows Update
4 rename the whole softwaredistribution folder to something like software.old or whatever
5 restart Pc
6 check if windows update is running
7 check if softwaredistribution has been created
8 check for updates

Edited by MJCM

This what the error says.

Source : WMI Event ID 10

General

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Details

- EventData
//./root/CIMV2 SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99 0x80041003

My wife said that tiny little ghosts could be the reason for such problems.

Please check this one out and give it a try.I had a similar issue, but updates were installed a few days later as usual You can also change the settings from l"et me choose" to" automatic updates", then change the time, etc.... Best of luck.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-updates-fail-to-install

Edited by lostinisaan

My wife said that tiny little ghosts could be the reason for such problems.

Please check this one out and give it a try.I had a similar issue, but updates were installed a few days later as usual You can also change the settings from l"et me choose" to" automatic updates", then change the time, etc.... Best of luck.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-updates-fail-to-install

Same what I already suggested in post #7

Applied the fix, got message it was fixed, and it had indeed a new software distribution folder, but the problem is still the same.

Thanks for your help but I'm gonna create a new usb image and reinstall Windows once again.

Been trying out solutions since 8pm yesterday and am fed up enough now.

My DNS server was initially Google, then changed it to automatic DNS, and factory reset router and later switched router.

It does connect to the update site, as you can see from the screen shot in the OP, but it checks indefinitely.

Edited by TheCruncher

Not sure if any of these links have been posted; if they have, ignore them.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-never-stops-looking-for-updates/38cc0476-d131-4432-8df6-9e77418d1f36?auth=1

I also found this which you can take as you find:

download and install the Update KB3050265 from downloadcenter and look if this is faster nowmagicandre1981 Oct 9 at 4:15
KB3050265 "This issue has the greatest effect on computers that have a small amount of physical memory." I have tried it on several systems and has no effect on the speed of Windows update scanning the system, on a reinstall of Windows 7 it takes an average of 1-1.5 hours for windows update to populate the page with updates.Moab Oct 9 at 16:04

Not sure if any of these links have been posted; if they have, ignore them.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-never-stops-looking-for-updates/38cc0476-d131-4432-8df6-9e77418d1f36?auth=1

I also found this which you can take as you find:

download and install the Update KB3050265 from downloadcenter and look if this is faster nowmagicandre1981 Oct 9 at 4:15
KB3050265 "This issue has the greatest effect on computers that have a small amount of physical memory." I have tried it on several systems and has no effect on the speed of Windows update scanning the system, on a reinstall of Windows 7 it takes an average of 1-1.5 hours for windows update to populate the page with updates.Moab Oct 9 at 16:04

Was tried before, ran it again now and say everything fixed, though when i now try to run update I get error code 80244019 which means virus.

Got the same error code earlier and ran virus check in safe mode without result.

Will reinstall now.

So I downlaoded a new image for Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP 1, checked the checksums, and pasted it to a brandnew flashdrive using the Widows USB tool.

I formatted all partitions on my harddrive, then deleted them, and created new partitions.

Next I installed my brandnew wWndows 7.

It installed properly, and when I manually checked for updates manually it said that I needed to download new software to be able to download updates.

Next it installed Update agent 7.6.7600.320, closed and reopened windows update automatically as it was said in the installation directions, then started to check for updates again...............into eternity

So I downlaoded a new image for Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP 1, checked the checksums, and pasted it to a brandnew flashdrive using the Widows USB tool.

I formatted all partitions on my harddrive, then deleted them, and created new partitions.

It installed properly, and when I manually checked for updates manually it said that I needed to download new software to be able to download updates.

Next it installed Update agent 7.6.7600.320, closed and reopened windows update automatically as it was said in the installation directions, then started to check for updates again...............into eternity

You sound like you're going through a similar nightmare I just recently had with a Windows 10 installation.

What if you just let Windows install the updates automatically? Sorry, I never had such a problem before and would like to know what's wrong.

I know how it is when you reach your limit, then trying all and nothing works.I was so close to start freaking out, to be honest.

Then it's time to stop for a while, listen to some good music when you're feeling better, do a new install without a message that you need new software to download updates.....

Have you ever thought that your installation CD/flash drive might have a problem?

Best of luck !!!!

Edited by lostinisaan

You sound like you're going through a similar nightmare I just recently had with a Windows 10 installation.

What if you just let Windows install the updates automatically? Sorry, I never had such a problem before and would like to know what's wrong.

I know how it is when you reach your limit, then trying all and nothing works.I was so close to start whining like a little boy, to be honest.

Then it's time to stop for a while, listen to some good music when you're feeling better, do a new install withut a message that you need new software to download updates.....

Have you ever thought that your installation CD/flashdrive might have a problem?

Best of luck !!!!

I downloaded a new image from the Technet site, and used a new flash drive, for my last install.

The new software is a windows update itself.

It finally seems to work, as I got a pop up that 149 important updates are available.

I don't want automatic updates since I don't want the Windows 10 update shoved down my throat.

By the way, I'm not talking about a bootleg. Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Keys are now available for 15$.thumbsup.gif

I know how it is when you reach your limit, then trying all and nothing works.I was so close to start whining like a little boy, to be honest.

Then it's time to stop for a while, listen to some good music when you're feeling better, do a new install withut a message that you need new software to download updates.....

Have you ever thought that your installation CD/flashdrive might have a problem?

Best of luck !!!!

I downloaded a new image from the Technet site, and used a new flash drive, for my last install.

The new software is a windows update itself.

It finally seems to work, as I got a pop up that 149 important updates are available.

I don't want automatic updates since I don't want the Windows 10 update shoved down my throat.

By the way, I'm not talking about a bootleg. Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Keys are now available for 15$.thumbsup.gif

Good to hear that it seems to work. I just installed Windows 7, 32 but on my notebook and had 225 updates. Once they're done, some more followed.

I made them step by step. Cheers-

P.S. Even after a week, I didn't receive the W 10 update.But I'm not using the notebook often right now.

Edited by lostinisaan

And here is TheChruncher with the latest news.

Update check seems to work, because when I start up my PC, after a few minutes a pop up will appear how many updates are available.

But whatever update I select, it will keep the progress bar, but doesn't download a single Kb.

post-223159-0-25854300-1448902355_thumb.

And I can confirm now that manual check for updates also has stopped functioning now.

As you can see in the screen shot the lasyest check was at 18.43, which is shortly after I finished the Windows install, but currently a update check never finishes.

Edited by TheCruncher

For almost 20 years I have used pirated Windows only, because I considered it idiotic to pay a lot of money for something you could get for free, and never had any major problems.

Only less than 2 weeks ago i decided to go legal, because at the price of the license keys currently I couldn't justify a pirated version anymore, and I have already spent more time trying to get it to work as in all those 20 years of pirate versions.

Guess what my next step will be.

For almost 20 years I have used pirated Windows only, because I considered it idiotic to pay a lot of money for something you could get for free, and never had any major problems.

Only less than 2 weeks ago i decided to go legal, because at the price of the license keys currently I couldn't justify a pirated version anymore, and I have already spent more time trying to get it to work as in all those 20 years of pirate versions.

I have no idea why you are pissing about with Windows 7 anyway, but as has been said, there have been lots of updates and you just have to bite the bullet.

Start it updating and go and have a drink.

Or better still just update to Windows 10.

I have no idea why you are pissing about with Windows 7 anyway, but as has been said, there have been lots of updates and you just have to bite the bullet.

Start it updating and go and have a drink.

Or better still just update to Windows 10.

Did you notice the screen shot I posted to show that it doesn't download a single Kb from any update?