Police to launch 5 measures to ease traffic in Bangkok in 3 months

webfact

What utter rot, Utley. So, if there's no place to park that gives you permission to double park? With that logic, gee, I'm out of money so I guess it's ok to rob a bank. If there's no place to park, you don't park! Duh! Go somewhere else. It's likely there IS a place to park down the street but it seems lots of drivers don't want to walk a few feet. I don't know how many times I've seen drivers double parking and there's an open space available nearby, but maybe not RIGHT in front of where they want to stop. I liked the comment of the poster who said crush the cars into small packages and give them back to the drivers. Do that and people might sit up and take notice. A nice, big fine on top of the package would be lovely, too.

What about illegal parking by motorcycles?

That has almost no impact as they are small. Besides where i live the motorcycles dont block roads the cars do with double parking.

And why do you think all the cars are double parked?????? It's because the motorbikes are taking up all the parking spaces designed or designated for cars.

Tow away and impound each and every motorbike that is parked in a spot designated or designed for a car and make the owner pay 5000 baht to get his/her motorbike back and see how quick things will change. coffee1.gif Oh yes, plus make & distribute pamphlets explaining what will happen if the motorbike is parked in the wrong spot. Just so that no one can complain that they were not warned.

these are the same measures they come up with each time they make the statement they are going to ease traffic.

just more dog and pony show. gives the BIB a way to make extra money. how long is it going to last 1 week.

there are laws, but no one has the ba--s to enforce them. the double parking, the stoping in the middle of the road to either let some one out or pick up some one up. run red lights, motorcycle helmets, oh lets not forget sidewalk motorcycle lanes!

i wish they would stop anouncing that they are going to do something, just be brave enough to do it first.

Bus lane violations... simple!!! Solve that and more people would use buses.

Easy to do, put a camera on the front of every bus and give the driver a button to press to snapshot offenders.

Give the bus driver a few baht commission for every snapshot and send postal fines to the drivers.

If the fines are not paid then the car tax don't get renewed..

Job done..... can I get a Nobel Peace prize or something now??

All of there comments and no one has actually noticed that the real headline is

Thai Police to Start Doing their Job

Every single one of the 5 measures they should already be doing.......

I love Thailand :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What utter rot, Utley. So, if there's no place to park that gives you permission to double park? With that logic, gee, I'm out of money so I guess it's ok to rob a bank. If there's no place to park, you don't park! Duh! Go somewhere else. It's likely there IS a place to park down the street but it seems lots of drivers don't want to walk a few feet. I don't know how many times I've seen drivers double parking and there's an open space available nearby, but maybe not RIGHT in front of where they want to stop. I liked the comment of the poster who said crush the cars into small packages and give them back to the drivers. Do that and people might sit up and take notice. A nice, big fine on top of the package would be lovely, too.

The point is that you can't stop people behaving in a certain way without giving them alternatives. It's convenient to think that all people who double park are doing so because they are lazy and rude but we both know that is not 100% true. I once took my wife to the Rajavithi Hospital near Victory Monument and there was absolutely no place to park. She went in for her appointment by herself while I circled the area slowly for 2 hours. There was not a parking space to be had.

Edited by Utley

I think you made my point. When no parking is available it doesn't give you permission to double park. You, as you stated, didn't double park--you circled for 2 hours instead of double parking and blocking traffic. I would have done the same thing--circled--rather than being a rude, inconsiderate, selfish, law-breaking driver. And, next time I would remember there is no parking available at the hospital and my options are circling or using a taxi. There certainly are occasional emergency double parking situations but the vast majority I see in Pattaya are inconsiderate people double parking in front of shops to run in and do some shopping--and often when a parking space is available not too far down the street.

I think you made my point. When no parking is available it doesn't give you permission to double park. You, as you stated, didn't double park--you circled for 2 hours instead of double parking and blocking traffic. I would have done the same thing--circled--rather than being a rude, inconsiderate, selfish, law-breaking driver. And, next time I would remember there is no parking available at the hospital and my options are circling or using a taxi. There certainly are occasional emergency double parking situations but the vast majority I see in Pattaya are inconsiderate people double parking in front of shops to run in and do some shopping--and often when a parking space is available not too far down the street.

What would you have done if you were in the car by yourself?

One idea to ease the parking problem would be to construct parking structures outside of the city at the end of the BTS lines. If people could park there inexpensively with the safety of their car guaranteed, they could just take the BTS into the city and help relieve the parking and traffic congestion.

I would have missed the appointment. Parking garages are a good idea as are temporary parking lots. Pattaya has many plots of empty land not being used in some of the congested areas. It would be great if the city would rent some of these unused plots and put a paving on them for parking use until the owner decides to develop the land at some future point. I'd like to see more parking lots and garages in Pattaya and some of the on-street parking eliminated on congested streets to open up another travel lane.

we al double park and screw up traffic when you take a taxi , he stops (double parks) where you want to go and it takes a minute or 2 as you pay him and get out and he stops for his next fare ( another double park)

so a minute here and there backs up traffic 10-20 cars behind the taxi.....

How to solve this ......ummm....really no way because we are all too lazy to stop the taxi at an open spot or side street.....

I want it and I want it now

I bet that red car never stopped for those pedestrians on the crossing, even on a red light they carry on

Even though that red car had had a green light in it's favour it looks as if it could have already given precedence to 2 people on the crossing but, carry on and make up a possible bad situation just to have a bash.

Having been almost mowed down 3 times on zebra crossings in the past 2 years here when lights were red, I feel I have to right to 'bash' driving standards here.

Thai ad 'bashing' appalling driving at crossings

Its good to see an ad like this but what has to alter is the Thai mindset.

Zebra crossings: Thai drivers will stop at crossings only if a red light is showing. At these crossngs drivers will stop and wait EVEN if there are no people crossing.Not many crossings have these lights, it seems, and in most cases Thai drivers will not stop EVEN when there ARE people crossing. I have stopped at crossings to let people pass only to witness a truck, car or another motorcycle roar past to my left or right almost hitting the pedestrians. It also feels as if sooner or later another driver will run in to me from behind and it's making me stop at zebra crossings less than I would choose to. I think the Thai mind set of obedience as opposed to making a decision about wheher to stop or not is the problem here. Pelican crossings with flashing lights activated by pedestrians would save a lot of deaths in my opinion.

post-36039-0-81019200-1449046499_thumb.jSathorn Road (North) left hand side in this picture at 5.30 pm yesterday. The traffic control at the top interersection is Rama IV. Whoever manages these lights needs a bit of "training". Although it's 5.30 pm this road is always gridlocked.

Looking West (towards the Chao Praya) with Sathorn South on the left and Sathorn North on the right at 5.30 pm yesterday.

post-36039-0-74734400-1449046626_thumb.j

Today at 12.30 pm coming from Wittayu to Sathorn South the lights are about 20-30 seconds green interspersed with red for about 150-200 seconds. When cars do get through the 20-30 second interlude they get caught in the middle of the intersection and the ever vigilant traffic light operators are out of their airconditioned boxes nabbing a few unfortunates who haven't the slightest chance of getting through. I suppose it's the beginning of the month and therefore payday, but obviously the intentions of traffic improvements....well why waste breath.

attachicon.gif20151201_174404.jpgSathorn Road (North) left hand side in this picture at 5.30 pm yesterday. The traffic control at the top interersection is Rama IV. Whoever manages these lights needs a bit of "training". Although it's 5.30 pm this road is always gridlocked.

Looking West (towards the Chao Praya) with Sathorn South on the left and Sathorn North on the right at 5.30 pm yesterday.

attachicon.gif20151201_174411.jpg

Today at 12.30 pm coming from Wittayu to Sathorn South the lights are about 20-30 seconds green interspersed with red for about 150-200 seconds. When cars do get through the 20-30 second interlude they get caught in the middle of the intersection and the ever vigilant traffic light operators are out of their airconditioned boxes nabbing a few unfortunates who haven't the slightest chance of getting through. I suppose it's the beginning of the month and therefore payday, but obviously the intentions of traffic improvements....well why waste breath.

No no, It's after December 1st and the Thai police have now implemented their 5 point plan to improve traffic, you are seeing the results of this effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by moonoi

The traffic jam problem in Bangkok is not a behavioral problem and cannot be fixed by improved enforcement. The problem is that Bangkok does not have enough road area. In other major cities, like New York and Tokyo, the total surface area that comprises roadways of all kinds ranges from 22% to 28%. In Bangkok road surface area is about 13% of the total surface area of the city. No matter how diligent the cops become at handing out tickets that isn't going to add a square inch to the road surface area.

Bangkok could do what Paris did in the 1850's and New York did in the 30's and 40's: tear down whole neighborhoods and turn them into highways or boulevards. That's not going to happen, fortunately. Rather than increase traffic they should reduce it, for instance, by taxing entry of cars into the city. The resulting tax revenue could be used to subsidize public transit.

The only other approach is to build public transit faster and more extensively than they are already. In Beijing, which has an extensive subway system, they lowered the price of a ride to increase subway utilization and reduce traffic.

The traffic jam problem in Bangkok is not a behavioral problem and cannot be fixed by improved enforcement. The problem is that Bangkok does not have enough road area. In other major cities, like New York and Tokyo, the total surface area that comprises roadways of all kinds ranges from 22% to 28%. In Bangkok road surface area is about 13% of the total surface area of the city. No matter how diligent the cops become at handing out tickets that isn't going to add a square inch to the road surface area.

Bangkok could do what Paris did in the 1850's and New York did in the 30's and 40's: tear down whole neighborhoods and turn them into highways or boulevards. That's not going to happen, fortunately. Rather than increase traffic they should reduce it, for instance, by taxing entry of cars into the city. The resulting tax revenue could be used to subsidize public transit.

The only other approach is to build public transit faster and more extensively than they are already. In Beijing, which has an extensive subway system, they lowered the price of a ride to increase subway utilization and reduce traffic.

If the BTS and subway were very cheap then they would even be more busy. But it's a good way of getting more people using them.

Have you noticed all the advertisings we are being fed during a bts-ride? They could make the ride for free i would think. Those huge tv's with advertisings will pay the tickets for passengers.

we al double park and screw up traffic when you take a taxi , he stops (double parks) where you want to go and it takes a minute or 2 as you pay him and get out and he stops for his next fare ( another double park)

so a minute here and there backs up traffic 10-20 cars behind the taxi.....

How to solve this ......ummm....really no way because we are all too lazy to stop the taxi at an open spot or side street.....

I want it and I want it now

I don't know how you do it, but I am always out, with any bags, in under 10-15 seconds. It's called....planning: watch the meter, have the fare ready in one hand, bags in another,

don't wait for 2-3 baht change.

It's like standing in line at a McDonald's: decide on your order while you are waiting in line, not when it becomes your turn to order.

• 2 months later...

How about starting with curbing in the buses on Phaholyothin Road? Double parking??? Try triple parking and driving in the far right lane (illegal for the buses).

Also, what ever happened to preventing motorcycles from driving on the foot paths? I experience it on a daily basis. That campaign died on the vine.

That's not nearly as annoying (or dangerous) as the reckless motorcyclists endangering everyone's lives by driving against the flow of traffic on any given road, even though they try to stay as close to the kerb as possible.

Come on police, arrest anyone that undertakes this irresponsible maneuver. Fine them 1000 Baht, take away their bikes for 30 days.

Imagine trying to ride a motorcycle against the flow of traffic in a western country. Ordinary citizens would call the police, you'd be arrested and charged for dangerous driving, your licence would be suspended for perhaps 30 days, your bike would be impounded and only after paying a US$1000 (or equivalent) fine would it be released but that would be on your record. Try it again and your driver's licence would be permanently taken from you and you may even risk jail time.

Ordinary citizens would think you were either drunk or insane to even consider driving against the flow of traffic in the first place!

That's the thing isn't it. There are not nearly enough roads in Bangkok. The city urgently needs to connect sois with each other instead of having dead end sois forcing all cars onto one main road where you can't turn left or right to join onto another main road for 5km. Virtually no other major city in the world has as little road space as Bangkok does. Sure, it's easy to blame all the cars on the roads but once you know Bangkok well (or for another perspective, looking at the city from the air when you are flying into either Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang) you will easily start to wonder: "Why is it that Bangkok only has a few major roads, all of which look more like highways than city streets? What about all the suburban streets?"

Bangkok definitely needs to go in and tear down city blocks to make way for more roads (this shouldn't be too difficult around 10-15km from the city centre where you have large empty blocks of land). It needs to build a second 8-10 lane ring road 50-100 km from central Bangkok that allows all non-local traffic to bypass the greater city area. There needs to be public transport infrastructure that reaches the outskirts of the city. All major stations, particularly at the terminuses need to have adequate parking with thousands of spaces, preferably for free in order to encourage drivers to commute into the city by train, thus reducing congestion in the city centre. Only drivers with more time than sense, who don't mind wasting time in traffic jams, who don't travel to the city everyday or during non-peak hours, delivery drivers and those individuals who live well outside Bangkok and are just coming for the day should be driving into the city and yes, they should be taxed. Although not a big deal in Bangkok, drivers of foreign registered vehicles (Lao, Malaysian etc.) should be taxed more or prevented from driving into the city altogether. Checkpoints could be set up on the outskirts of town to prevent them from going further inside the city.

Liked. Except foe the taxes part at the end.

Hopefully with the new roads comes the opening up of intersections so you don't have to go left uturn left when you just want to go straight. And etc and so on.

There's a lot more to type, but on the phone so will stop here