earth for electric pan

ddavidovsky

do these plug ends have a small LED to show you have power ?

and is there a plug end that shows you have power and ground !

I have only seem power on, to show earth connect becomes a bit complicated for a basic 58 Bht plug.

That would work

30-630-195.jpgPut this on pot

85550-007.jpgAnd this on ground wire of cord

Unless you have the correct crimping tool to attached the female component, you might need a trip to the local auto electrician to properly attached it.

A gentle squeeze with pliers is the normal tool for that.

If using the "red" one shown you should use the correct crimping tool - otherwise you could end up with an underclamped connection, the other style can be crimped with pliers if done carefully - however there is correct tool for this one as well.

do these plug ends have a small LED to show you have power ?

and is there a plug end that shows you have power and ground !

I have only seem power on, to show earth connect becomes a bit complicated for a basic 58 Bht plug.

Ground indicators generally only exist on 'test' plugs.

If you employ any RCD (Safe-T-Cut type devices) on the circuit, use of some test lights utilizing 'Earth Ground' may potentially lead to nuisance tripping as it, and other items, contribute towards the 30mA minimum needed to trip (open) the RCD.

It's definitely not Class 2. This thing surely needs to be earthed. The whole outer cover is metal, and there is always water sloshing about when cooking.

The design of this product is just barmy - presumably it dates back to the 1950s. The earth wire is in effect permanently attached to the bottom of the pan - the nut is tiny and not something you can easily undo with your fingers every time. It's not clear how we are supposed to wash the pan with the wire attached. Not sure why Hanabishi can't just put an earthed plug on it...

Okay, I found the Haco plug at Tesco Lotus, 58 baht. This is good. Love the transparent cover so you can see what's going on inside.

This is what it now looks like. It's safely earthed, but I'm now trying to think of a way to make the earth wire easily detachable for washing and for storage.

attachicon.gifelectric pan.JPG

attachicon.gifearth wire.JPG

The problem with those types of plugs is that they don`t have an inline fuse inside. This means that if an electrical fault occurs either the pan or the plug will catch fire because there is no fuse to take the load and break the electrical current.

When I came to Thailand from the UK I had items shipped over including 3 dozen UK three pin plugs, lots of spare 3amp and 13amp fuses and some plug in extensions. I have attached the plugs to all our large electrical appliances and can sleep peacefully at night.

If the OP still has contacts in his home country, ask them to send him over some decent plugs because I don`t trust any of the Chinese crap they sell in Thailand.

in the USA I am not sure I have ever seen a plug or extension cord with a fuse ,

can you post some pictures or links ?

I agree what you are saying , but here we have an outside fuse panel with maybe 6-8 breaker switches for different areas of the house and maybe a larger breaker if you have AC wired in , but that is the last fuse / breaker switch in the circuit ,

I would love to see a safer way :)

The reason for having ground is to quickly trip breakers before a fire starts. Most of the world runs fine without UK plugs. Yes they are industrial size and heavy duty. But they are not required for reasonable home safety. Additional RCB protection I would consider much more desirable - as that will still work with switched wires and loss of ground which are so common here.

As for extension strips - all the local sold units have a fuse - but that does not prevent them catching fire.