Belgium's PM Michel calls for a European CIA

webfact

Belgium's PM Michel calls for a European CIA

606x341_318066.jpg

BRUSSELS: -- The Belgian prime minister has suggested Europe needs a central intelligence agency to reinforce and coordinate its anti-terrorist operations.

Charles Michel says the search for the Paris attack suspects has highlighted the failure of European secret services to share information.

It comes amid reports that Brussels-based Salah Abdeslam may have left the country for Syria.

Speaking to French radio station RTL, Michel said: “We need, and it is my personal belief, to put in place as soon as possible a European intelligence agency.”

(Radio host: A European CIA?)

Michel: “A European CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), these are my words. It is a necessity, I believe. And I think that because of this Schengen zone, there are two important correlations: better external borders to the European Union, this is not the case today and it is a real issue. And second, to better share, to share more data on the people circulating within the (Schengen) zone.”

Police say the total number of attackers may have been 10 or higher.

Investigations are now centered on Salah Abdeslam, who police believe might have been an assailant in the attacks which killed 130 people.

But Michel admits the idea does not have widespread support even though last Friday the European Home Affairs Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos also called for a pan-European spy agency.

France’s Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve is said to be “very hesitant about the proposition”.

Germany too has not hidden its scepticism about a European CIA.

“We shouldn’t waste our energy on a European intelligence agency,” German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said on Friday, but instead “concentrate on improving the exchange of information through existing institutions.”

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-01

Nice idea but they wouldnt be needed if the isis threat had not been imported , at taxpayers expense by Miss Merkel. Thanks again for the pain and expense what would we do without these so called great leaders.

Ahem ! More like there would be no threat to import or refugees if the original CIA had not created and funded the development of ISIS in the first place.

I cannot believe that a European Leader is so foolish to consider that the world needs another Counter Humanity Agency.

"central intelligence agency to reinforce and coordinate its anti-terrorist operations."

Only a small part of the CIA is anti-terrorist . There is a big difference in coordinating euro agencies to tackle "terrorism" ( they imported) , and a dispicable agency as the CIA.

This is typical deflection of responsibility after the critism belgium got after the paris attacks.

Speaking to French radio station RTL, Michel said: “We need, and it is my personal belief, to put in place as soon as possible a European intelligence agency.”

As the EU is world renowned for its flash to bang time.

A. It will take at least 15 years to discuss and implement.

B. I cannot envisage any terrorist group giving a 5 year advanced warning.

I would love to know what Universe some of these people live in.

"central intelligence agency to reinforce and coordinate its anti-terrorist operations."

Only a small part of the CIA is anti-terrorist . There is a big difference in coordinating euro agencies to tackle "terrorism" ( they imported) , and a dispicable agency as the CIA.

This is typical deflection of responsibility after the critism belgium got after the paris attacks.

Typical EU federalist response.

We fckued up in Belgium, so let's pretend what's needed is a EU solution and hope nobody will remember how crap we are. And they might even base it in Brussels and create more highly paid non productive or accountable jobs for more of us.

Just like Mutti Merkel - won't admit screwing up but the solution has to be EU wide, this time with enforced quotas.

How wonderful democracy is in the EU wonderland.

Just Started watching the latest tv series of "Homeland". in which this very subject is addressed. A hired assassin takes out Terrorist Bombers, Recruiters etc. without any fuss/involvement of Govt.Agencies in Germany.......thought provoking !!

Maybe if it was

Headed by the British

Organised by the Germans

Based in Italy, Greece or Portugal

Staffed by the rest.

In reality it would

Headed by the Belgians

Organised by the Italians

Based in Iceland

Staffed by the Irish

Answerable to the Russians.