Need help choosing a toy!

Dellie

So we finally choose the new family car. A Ford Everest and with it being considerably cheaper then the cars I was originally looking at (Porsche Cayenne and Volvo XC90) I am now playing with the idea of getting a small sporty car for myself. This however seems to be near impossible to find in Thailand, atleast at a reasonable price. Too bad there are no hot hatches available here so Im reaching out to any car experts on the forum to see if I missed something in my search. These are my criteria,

0-100kph in 6 seconds or less

Not too big

No super low ground clearance making it impossible to drive on Thai roads

Max 8 million

So far the only car I have found that match my criteria is the mercedes CLA 45 AMG coming in at just under 6 million. Is there anything else available?

Thx in advance for any tips and suggestions!

Daihatsu Copen

Hyundai Veloster.... Turbo 1.7 million

Honda CRZ

Golf GTi

VW Sirroco

Toyota 86GT

​Subaru BRZ

​Subaru WRX

Mini Cooper

Lotus

Westfield

Mazda MX 5

BMW Z4

All way under half your budget

or the far more expensive BMW 'M' , Audi RS or Benz

And so the list goes on, lots here

Daihatsu Copen

Hyundai Veloster.... Turbo 1.7 million

Honda CRZ

Golf GTi

VW Sirroco

Toyota 86GT

​Subaru BRZ

​Subaru WRX

Mini Cooper

Lotus

Westfield

Mazda MX 5

BMW Z4

All way under half your budget

or the far more expensive BMW 'M' , Audi RS or Benz

And so the list goes on, lots here

Uhm as far as I know none of these do 0-100kmh (0-60mph) in less than 6 seconds. Im not looking to tune or modify anything. I want the warranty intact. Edited by Dellie

Tesla Model S. priced within your budget and does 0 to 100km/h in under 6 seconds.

Had no idea they were available over here. Not very practical in Thailand though with no supercharger stations.

Tesla claims it will have 120 supercharger stations installed by march next year.

You should have gone with the Porsche Cayenne, then you would have the

two types of cars you are looking for in one,

Looking at a Porsche and Volvo, but end up with a Ford,how did that happen?

regards Worgeordie

Well not quite as to get that kind of performance I would have to get the cayenne turbo s (500hp model) which they wanted 20 million for!!

Porsche Cayman, brand new from AAS for around 8 million or around 6-7 million if grey market.

Looked at both the cayman and the boxster gts and they are definetely in the mix but want to explore all sedan/coupe/hatch options first. Would rather have a "normal" car with a bit of power rather than a proper sportscar hence why I was looking at the mercedes.

Are we likely to see manufacturers offering better models next year in thailand with the rehash of the tax system, effectively removing the 220bhp limit?

For the OP, there are a few golf Rs on one2car, which get great reviews: 4wd, 300bhp, <5 secs to 100, but grey imports, so no manufacturers warranty.....

Or at the top of your range a bmw M2 will be available next year

You might not want to get too excited about the Tesla - it appears the Thai launch has hit some bumps....

I can't say any more than that, as it' just rumors right now.

It appears as though they are no longer exhibiting at the Motor Expo also. Not surprising considering since there hasn't been any news about it since they announced the launch.

The Mercedes CLA 45 would be a great toy if you really need the 6 sec 0 to 100 time. Pity about ~6M.

The A250 / CLA250 / GLA250 are still pretty good (0 - 100 mid - high 6 sec range) and a lot better value at ~2.5M but not real AMG and FWD only in LOS.

BMW Active Hybrid 3 would be under 6 seconds, 4.2M. Cheaper, Bigger and more usable back seat than the CLA45 if that floats your boat.

BMW 328i ~3.1M should be ~ 6 sec but not really a sporty toy.

Real BMW M3s etc are gonna be expensive and grey market if you can find one.

The new MX-5 2.0L is supposed to be around 6 sec if Mazda get around to importing it to LOS.

Edited by Jitar

The Mercedes CLA 45 would be a great toy if you really need the 6 sec 0 to 100 time. Pity about ~6M.

The A250 / CLA250 / GLA250 are still pretty good (0 - 100 mid - high 6 sec range) and a lot better value at ~2.5M but not real AMG and FWD only in LOS.

BMW Active Hybrid 3 would be under 6 seconds, 4.2M. Cheaper, Bigger and more usable back seat than the CLA45 if that floats your boat.

The new MX-5 2.0L is supposed to be around 6 sec if Mazda get around to importing it to LOS.

The MX-5 2.0L was launched today - 2.7M Baht

The MX-5 2.0L was launched today - 2.7M Baht

Hope it lands somewhere nice for Christmas.gigglem.gif